Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

V-Lite Problems

I have a 2011 V-Lite 30WFKSS. I believe it is the same as the Rockwood Windjammer 3008. I had three issues this past week-end camping.

Issue 1: The electric side of the hot water heater stopped working. It was working fine Wednesday and Thursday. Friday it quit making hot water. Flipped the switch and the gas side works fine. I am guessing that the element burned out. I tried pushing the high limit in and that didn't make a difference. The element is pretty cheap and it looked to be scaled up so changing it isn't a bad thing. I will change the anode rod at the same time.

Issue 2: You can feel the Thetford toiled rocking slightly back and forth when you sit on it. We have never had any leaks from it. Does this mean that the wax ring needs replaced and then the toilet reseated? I have never messed with a toilet before.

Issue 3: When I went to retract the awning back in, it rolled a couple of inches and stopped. I had to help it back in just at the beginning and then it finished the job. It has always been slow but I have never had an issue with it failing to retract. It doesn't appear to be bound up. It goes out okay but slowly. Does this mean the motor is starting to go? I believe it is a Dometic but not sure.
Any help on one or all of the issues would be greatly appreciated. We really like this camper and want to fix the problems.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Element checks good. Must be the thermostat. Should I replace the element just because it is 10 yrs old?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 AM   #3

I was really hoping to get a response from someone.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

If you have the element out and it is scaly go ahead and replace it. Check the wiring on the awning motor. May have corrosion build up and not making good connection. As for the toilet I think they use a rubber type of thing not a wax do it could be bad. Pull the toilet and check it. If it is good then it may be the floor. May just need to tighten the bolts. Could be loose from traveling and use.
frfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. The bolts I did try to tighten on the toilet. Is it easy to reset a toilet. I have never done that. It appears that one just loosens the bolts, remove the supply line and lift. Is that a quick correct way?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

A quick check on you tube has videos on replacing toilet and/or seal. I would also replace the water heater element first and see if it works.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

You Tube has been a life and money saver for me.
Ironically, after I unbolted the gas portion of the hot water heater apart, both the thermostat and the element checked out fine. I put it all back together and it heated fine. I am not sure what happened. I may just replace both pcs just to not have issues in the future. It seems like this was the break down trip.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #8

Any do's or don'ts or be careful when pulling/reseating the toilet?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #9

I am sorry I just saw these responses. Only advise I can give is wat h plenty of youtube videos. Dont over tighten the bolts to avoid cracking or breaking toilet. Good luck.
frfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #10

On the toilet, yes unhook water, take 2 nuts off at base left off. Original seal is a rubber type seal, no wax used. Check all screws holding flange to floor, might have to add more, or bigger if stripped.
FYI, DO NOT remove screws that hold 2 top and bottom section of toilet together, not made to go back if you separate. Made that mistake once.

Awning motor, double check all connections, like already stated, could be motor dieing, or switch burning up. Volt meter will prove. If dieing, you can get salvage for $100 dollars.

Hw tank, element could have a crack in element causing failure at times. I would swap it out, thermostat probably isn't much either, but have you checked all connections and on off switch, just in case.

Good luck.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #11

I ended up replacing the element and the thermostat only to find out my problem was the on/off switch intermittently working. Never thought to look there. I kept checking resistance and voltages, some times they were correct sometimes not (voltages that is). I happened to watch a YouTube video where the rv owner had the same issue. Took the switch out and wiggling would make it close and open.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #12

Glad you figured that one out, how'd the rest pan out for you?
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #13

The awning just has an issue if it gets stopped in one particular position but seems to be working. We have taken it out twice with no issues. I took the toilet off and the floor is solid. There has been no leaks that I can see. It just has that slight rock. I put a small shim in just to appease my OCD and I will forget about it.

Tags
lite, v-lite