Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
Vermonter living in NC

Wall has dropped down

Does anyone know why a wall would do this? It has dropped down by at least a ¼ of an inch, maybe more.

It is a 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite 5th wheel we purchased new in 2020. We have had several other issues, but this wall issue just happened while we are campaigning in Myrtle Beach, SC.
We dropped off our camper at our dealer to have some warranty work done on the refrigerator/freezer and replace a fender that was damaged with a tire blow out. We also told them that we had found some nuts that hold the frame to the unit missing or very loose. The dealership tightened all the nuts that were loose and replaced the nuts that were missing on the “L” brackets.

The tightening of the bolts is the only thing that has happened that isn’t “normal.”

We are on a slab and the camper is level.

Pictures 1-5 are from in the bathroom, 6-9 are the same wall from the living room.

The other walls in the bathroom are fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	268384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	268385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	268386   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedCamper 7_LI.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	268387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	268388  

Papotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #2

No clue how that could happen, although on the other hand maybe the wall isn’t dropping, rather the ceiling is bowing up. Something to look into after the frame bolts were refastened.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:49 PM   #3

"We dropped off our camper at our dealer to have some warranty work done ..... and replace a fender that was damaged with a tire blow out"
There is lots of information on this forum about "China Bombs" and the load range for factory installed tires.

Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #4

I have several ideas on how the wall could separate from the ceiling.

1) Water damage to the sub-floor and rotting. Walk around the floor over the area feeling for sponginess or flexing. The leak may not be in the immediate area of the evident gap between ceiling and wall as water can travel inside of the plywood or between the sub-floor and vinyl flooring.

2) Stress on the trailer frame. If this is in away from the axles, either in front or behind, then this is more likely. If you have overloaded your trailer at any point it could be that your trailer is bowing down. Get under your trailer and see if you can sight down the I-beam looking for any bowing or bending in the trailer.

3) The trailer was manufactured under stress and is starting to normalize causing the separation.

4) A crossbeam on your trailer has failed. Go under the trailer and inspect for bent, broken or failing welds on your crossbeams. If it has underbelly panels inspect them, especially nearer to the I-Beams, for any sagging in the panels.

Which model do you have?

I would definitely contact Forest River ASAP because they may cover it outside of the warranty.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
Vermonter living in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
No clue how that could happen, although on the other hand maybe the wall isn’t dropping, rather the ceiling is bowing up. Something to look into after the frame bolts were refastened.
Ballistic, thank you. We thought that also, until we noticed that some of the trim around the stair has pushed forward. Not sure if I can post a picture of this or not.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Vermonter living in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
"We dropped off our camper at our dealer to have some warranty work done ..... and replace a fender that was damaged with a tire blow out"
There is lots of information on this forum about "China Bombs" and the load range for factory installed tires.

Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit, Thank you. Yes we know about "china bombs" and have replaced all the tires on the camper with ones that were recommended in these forums. My husband was going to replace the fender, but because it was going to be at the dealership anyway, we just had them do it--time is money.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
Vermonter living in NC

mwdilday--Thank you--my answers below

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I have several ideas on how the wall could separate from the ceiling.

1) Water damage to the sub-floor and rotting. Walk around the floor over the area feeling for sponginess or flexing. The leak may not be in the immediate area of the evident gap between ceiling and wall as water can travel inside of the plywood or between the sub-floor and vinyl flooring.--We will do this when we get the camper home. Have to unbolt the sofa from the floor to move it to walk around that area. Don't want to do it here in SC.

2) Stress on the trailer frame. If this is in away from the axles, either in front or behind, then this is more likely. If you have overloaded your trailer at any point it could be that your trailer is bowing down. Get under your trailer and see if you can sight down the I-beam looking for any bowing or bending in the trailer.--My husband will check this, but we haven't over loaded our trailer. My husband it a long haul trucker, so very aware of weight limits and what our truck can handle safely. We don't travel with water in the fresh tank. If we are traveling any distance, will carry a couple of gallons of water to flush with.

3) The trailer was manufactured under stress and is starting to normalize causing the separationI could see that if it were new, but we have owned it almost 2 years now, but maybe..

4) A crossbeam on your trailer has failed. Go under the trailer and inspect for bent, broken or failing welds on your crossbeams. If it has underbelly panels inspect them, especially nearer to the I-Beams, for any sagging in the panels.Thank you for this information. My husband is out checking this right now.

Which model do you have?--It is a 2881S

I would definitely contact Forest River ASAP because they may cover it outside of the warranty.
I am going to contact Forest River after I thank you. We are also going to have the dealership look at it--we have to drop it off, AGAIN, to have the fridge/freezer "fixed" for the third time.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #8

I have a similar thing on the refrigerator “wall” in my MiniLite 2513s, though not quite as severe as yours. Hadn’t noticed before this past weekend. This wall is only paneling with no framed backing to speak of. Also noticed the refrigerator is now tilted back in the framed housing it sits in within the slide. Going to check with the dealer this week.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #9

After re-reading your post it is possible that the unit was manufactured with the loose frame bolts and when they were tightened it pulled the floor down and the walls down and the roof/ceiling separated. Probably contact FR and see what they will do for you.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #10

Were the loose and missing fasteners on the side where you are seeing separation? It is possible that the jarring and loose fasteners could cause racking, and thus separation of the seams. You have documentation from he dealer on the loose components.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote