Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #1

Want some views and info

Ok, DW and I sold our Solera MH this last summer, We're looking at getting a Rockwood 2109S or 2104S. Looking for advise on these models and about the Murphy beds. Dealer's videos make the Murphy beds look easy to use, But are they? Pro's and Con's will be appreciated about the trailers and or beds.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Our 2509s has a different floor plan obviously, but the same Murphy bed. We have had it for a year now and love it. Only thing we changed was adding a mattress topper for extra comfort. The mechanics of the bed work very well. We looked around before we went with the Rockwood, and in my opinion its the best designed Murphy bed model on the market.
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #3

We have a 2018 2104S. We've had it since Sep 2017, and lived in it almost full time for six months. When we looked at one at a dealer we didn't buy from, he showed us the lock you need to pull to release the bed when raising it. When we looked at the rig we eventually bought we had to tell the salesman about the release, as it was a new feature with the 2018 model year.

In a thread on this forum "Murphy Bed, Love it or hate it," someone described it as a heated slab. We found the mattress on our Coleman Niagara pop-up to be more comfortable. We bought a thick memory foam pad and that didn't work. We returned that and got a 2-inch cheap pad, which worked better.

DW noticed that she was constantly rolling toward me, and on inspection we found the top corner of her side of the bed to be 1.5 inches higher than my side. Turns out the frame is bent. We were religious about releasing the latch, don't know when it happened [maybe before we bought it?]. It is in the shop now, waiting on a new frame.

All that being said, it is easy to operate.

Off your topic, we started looking for another Rockwood, one with a separate bedroom and a bed that isn't a Murphy. The problem isn't the Murphy bed, but rather that I couldn't get up and rattle around without sometimes waking DW. That was fine when we were going for a week at a time, but another thing for over six months.
SmilinBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

never again

we purchased a 2017 rockwood with murphy bed because we wanted to downsize from the large TT we had. After 2 trips we traded for a 2018 2606ws with a separate bedroom. while the murphy bed was fairly easy to operate it sat so high that it was hard for my wife to get in and out of without a step of some kind. and then I just got tired of having to raise it up every morning,
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

Our Murphy bed is easy to use. We don't really find it a bother to raise/lower it. It allows a smaller trailer with similar room as compared to a fixed bed, as the fixed bed basically takes up unused space 75% of the time.

You're the only one who can decide.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

Rockwood/Flagstaff

Don't forget to look at the Flagstaffs, they are the same as the Rockwoods,with the only difference being the int. colors.
AWLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Knight Errant

We have a MiniLite 1905 with a nearly identical Murphy Bed arrangement. We love the setup and consider the small bother of raising/lowering the Murphy Bed well worth the extra room you get in return.

We replaced our mattress after a couple of seasons, and I wish we had done it sooner. You'll want to measure things twice to make sure your unit is the same, but we found that a normal Queen does NOT fit, it's too long. What you may need is a "RV Short Queen". Here's the one we bought on Amazon for $250: "Live & Sleep Resort Classic - RV Short Queen Memory Foam Mattress - 10-Inch Bed". It fit perfectly. It is an amazingly comfortable mattress!
billhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #8

We looked at at 2104S when we bought our 2109S. I did like the more room with the bed up, but I didn't like the fact that the bed would have to be raised/lowered. I am glad we bought the 2109S. It is just wife and I and it is enough room.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #9

I considered the 2109 but their not that many of them around our area.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #10

I drove four hours to look / buy ours.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
We replaced our mattress after a couple of seasons, and I wish we had done it sooner. You'll want to measure things twice to make sure your unit is the same, but we found that a normal Queen does NOT fit, it's too long. What you may need is a "RV Short Queen".
I added a flip over plywood extension and a 6" square piece of foam to get the bed to full length. (Had to be flip over due to slide)

I'm 6'1" and didn't like my feet hanging off. I also added a 2" memory foam topper.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

I have been looking at dealership in other states. The RV shows are coming up pretty soon and I'm looking forward to going to some of them seeing the unit in person so to speak.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I have been looking at dealership in other states. The RV shows are coming up pretty soon and I'm looking forward to going to some of them seeing the unit in person so to speak.
One starting in Chicago next week. Called the boat and rv show at McCormick Place. We prefer going to the smaller show in Rosemont starting February 6th I believe.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote