RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Water filter/purifier bypass

Just stumbled across an item that will bypass the water or antifreeze from filling up the water filter housing. Itís less than $20 and can be left in place permanently if one chooses not to filter the water. It would save one from having to empty the water out of the filter housing each year before winterizing and save from using the rv antifreeze needed to fill the filter housing. It would save one from making a wet mess when removing the filter housing too. FLOW-PUR FP-WP100Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	241204
MontanaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #2

$20 is about 8 gallons of antifreeze. I guess I don't see the advantage of this product other then saving the small amount of antifreeze in the filter housing, you still have to remove the filter (wet mess) before winterizing. The antifreeze in the filter housing is flushed out when you restart the system before inserting the new/clean filter. Am I missing something here?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

I keep a bucket under my filter housing when I remove it. No wet mess yet, but I always have a towel handy.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

Did not intend to endorse this product in making the above post but just wanted to put it out there as an idea for those that might be interested. For me, I was looking for a way to bypass the water filter and this looks to be a way to do that without doing any plumbing work. As the filter is located in a hard place to access I just don't want to be bothered with messing with the filter, ever. As my new 2104S camper has not arrived yet I have obviously not had to chance to install the bypass but will have a chance to see how it works out next spring when getting the camper ready to travel. If I decide to filter the water I may just use one of the inline filters that attach to the hose while filling the fresh water tank or to the city water connection. I understand that we are each entitled to our own opinions, this is mine.
MontanaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaCamper View Post
Did not intend to endorse this product in making the above post but just wanted to put it out there as an idea for those that might be interested. For me, I was looking for a way to bypass the water filter and this looks to be a way to do that without doing any plumbing work. As the filter is located in a hard place to access I just don't want to be bothered with messing with the filter, ever. As my new 2104S camper has not arrived yet I have obviously not had to chance to install the bypass but will have a chance to see how it works out next spring when getting the camper ready to travel. If I decide to filter the water I may just use one of the inline filters that attach to the hose while filling the fresh water tank or to the city water connection. I understand that we are each entitled to our own opinions, this is mine.
I respect your opinion, understand your thoughts and the difficulty to get to the filter... but... you're going to need to get there to put the bypass plate in place. Do you know several folks have complained in other threads the bypass plate leaked and/or didn't fit properly? It seems these bypass plates are filter specific to fit properly. Is your filter a Flow-Pure?

Since you mentioned never wanting to mess with the filter again, you may want to consider removing the filter totally and bypass it with a $2 coupler.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #6

I'm firmly in the "more filters the better" camp. I use a portable "on the hose" filter and kept the one mounted in the trailer. Mine's not too difficult to get to, but it was not mounted very well at all. I ended up re-enforcing the mount by adding some wood and screws to stiffen it up. I'll be adding a catch basin and drain at a later date in case it starts to leak.

I have seen filters that have a built in bypass line, which may be an option for those not wanting to fill the filter chamber with antifreeze. You still have to remove the filter eventually, so it's probably a good idea to make it a hassle free job if possible.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #7

Well, it won't fit the filter housing on my Geo Pro 19QB. Might want to check your filter housing model. This is what I found while searching for this bypass plate.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	fp-wp100.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	241292
AF&AM, Lodge #584 of North Carolina
jbcrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

I just clipped the lines and bypassed the filter. I also hate filling that canister up with antifreeze. It makes no sense. I run a 2 stage filter externally in a tote with my hoses. Much better system than the single stage inside.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #9

You might consider doing what I did. Remove the filter and bypass it take the mounting bracket bend it flat drill a hole in it and your back bumper and mount the filter on the bumper to filter all incoming water.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, water, water filter