Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #1

water heater size geopro 19qb

hello all,

when emptying my water heater today, I noticed alot of calcium come out, so I figure it's time to de-calcify it. in order to do the 50/50 mixture of vinegar, or as I like to call it, pirate bleach, how large is the water heater, I assume ~6-10 gallons?

thanx
nomadicdrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

Six gallons.
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #3

thank you..

one last quick question...

how do I get the vinegar into the water heater on the 19QB? the youtube videos I've found don't mention the 19QB

I have an "antifreeze" inlet port for when I winterize, do I use that? and if so, do I need to do anything with the water valves like I do when winterizing?

thanx!
Old 08-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #4

Is this a suburban water heater? If so, what you see is the anode rod doing it’s job.
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
Is this a suburban water heater? If so, what you see is the anode rod doing it’s job.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer, though this isn't what I'm asking.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #6

Okay, remove the pressure relief valve and fill though the hole with a transmission funnel.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #7

thanx, I was hoping to avoid that and use the anti-freeze inlet port instead.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #8

That will work also and leave the bypass closed. Open a hot water faucet until liquid comes out. Or flip the lever up on the pressure relief valve until it comes out.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
That will work also and leave the bypass closed. Open a hot water faucet until liquid comes out. Or flip the lever up on the pressure relief valve until it comes out.

copy that. to make sure I understand, I do nothing with the bypass valves, leave them alone, unlike winterizing when I move them, correct?

if so, I did this, and when I turned the water pump on, I heard the pump running, and I let it run for a couple minutes and nothing was being siphoned in.

should I leave it pump longer? I didn't want to chance burning the pump out.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #10

There are a couple valves at the pump, correct? Shut off the valve to the fresh water tank and open the one to your jug. If you want to close the hot water valve at the WH, it will save you from rinsing that system also.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #11

hmmm, this just got over my head.

this is my first RV, and many things go over my head when I'm trying to learn. it took me several days to understand how to winterize the vehicle.

we don't use the fresh water tank, only city water.

I do know there are valves that I open/close (not sure which) when I winterized, not sure where they go or what they control, as I can barely fit in the drawer opening where they are located.

these are things I wish the dealership would have shown us during our walkthru, but instead they showed us the light switches and how to turn on the faucets. :-/ next time I know what to ask.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #12

Do you see two valves at the pump? There should also be a length of tubing coiled up. That goes in you vinegar jug. Close the FW valve and open the one on the hose to your jug. You’re changing which tank supplies the pump, FW tank or jug.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #13

ok, I think this make sense. I will look under the bed to see if I can determine what those valves open/close (FW or jug).

my antifreeze inlet is on the side of the geopro, right next to the city water inlet.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #14

That sounds like the fresh water fill port for the tank.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #15

right next to that is my antifreeze port. will take a picture and post it.

looks very similar to this image, except mine are side by side.
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxN...ckjdo/$_59.JPG
Old 08-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #16

Do you have a picture of yours? The one you linked looks like three, not two. Hard to tell what they are labeled.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Do you have a picture of yours? The one you linked looks like three, not two. Hard to tell what they are labeled.

thank you for your patience while I get the pix. here is a pic of the outside water connections, and a couple pics the best I could get, of the water heater and valves under the bed.

https://imgur.com/a/gxB4GBR

I'm not sure which valve to open/close to direct the water pump to not use the fresh water tank.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #18

I looked at the picture of the outside and see the antifreeze inlet but can't read the red writing. It doesn't matter as I have never seen that way before. I have no idea on the valves either. Sorry but I am no help.
I still question why you are doing this. When you pulled the drain plug at the WH you saw calcium. Are you sure it is calcium or magnesium? This is a suburban WH correct? I suspect that is the anode rod pieces you are seeing.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #19

thank you for responding,

the red writing is:

antifreeze inlet
to antifreeze
close the valve to the tank
open the valve to the inlet

---------------------
it would be nice if forest river/rockwood would have labeled the valves under the bed.

I am just trying to perform the maintenance on the camper to keep it in good shape. I do a ton of research on areas I am unfamiliar with, and from what I've gathered from the net, changing your anode rod and flushing out / de-calcifying your water heater regularly (yearly) is a good thing.

I honestly have no clue how to tell what kind of WH I have. there are stacks and stacks of owners manuals we found in the towel cabinet in the bathroom, and to be honest when I was flipping through that stuff, as I like to call an "owners manual?" I found it confusing, and after learning how they are built, I can understand why there is no properly formatted one owners manual for the camper.

I appreciate your time, and it just appears that in order for me to do the basic maintenance, it will just take more time that should, until I figure everything out.

until then, now it's time to figure out how to replace the outside shower head, which came broke on my camper and the dealer wouldn't recognize it to replace it. double ugg.

--nomadicdrave
Old 08-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #20
Scoundrel

One idea is to use an RV water heater cleaning wand to simply shoot high pressure water all around in the tank and flush anything out. Easy to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...23020441&psc=1

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, size, water, water heater