Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

Water Pump (Constant Hum)

I have a 8312ss. The Water Pump/Filter is located in the rear portion of the bunk house. I noticed that there is a constant hum when the pump is on. I first made sure there were no faucets on, and no leaks anywhere in the trailer. I also noticed that the water filter was only 1/3 full. When you turn on any faucet in the trailer the pump spins up (gets louder) and starts to fill the filter to 100%. The (cold) water pressure is low and sputters until the filter reaches 100%, takes about 30 seconds. Is this normal? To be honest it is annoying and it would effect my ability to sleep if I ever had to crash in the bunk house. My old Keystone trailer had no pump sounds until you turned on a faucet. It is a sureflow pump.
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Once you get the filter full, and shut off the faucet, the filter should stay full. If it doesn't, you have a leak somewhere.

Tell us what happens when you turn the faucet off. Check the filter every few hours and see how long it takes it to loose water. May want to turn the pump off for this test.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

I let the filter fill up, I don't know if it is truly filling to 100%. As the faucet continued to sputter. When I shut it off the water level in the filter begins to fall. It falls slowly but you can see it drop. I checked for water under all of the faucets. I can't find any. I also checked under the trailer and there are no water spots. The pump has been running for almost two weeks. There seems to be no loss of fresh water except for normal use and there is no excess water in the grey or black water tanks. If there is a leak it seems like it would be severe as the water is leaving the filter quickly once the faucets are off. with a severe leak you would probably be able to see it. (but maybe not) Any other ideas, I am putting in a call to the dealer.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #4

Talked to the dealer. There seems to be a vapor lock in the hot water heater. I am attempting to get all of the air out of the lines as we speak. I will let you know how it go's. Thanks for the help
Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMT
I let the filter fill up, I don't know if it is truly filling to 100%. As the faucet continued to sputter. When I shut it off the water level in the filter begins to fall. It falls slowly but you can see it drop. I checked for water under all of the faucets. I can't find any. I also checked under the trailer and there are no water spots. The pump has been running for almost two weeks. There seems to be no loss of fresh water except for normal use and there is no excess water in the grey or black water tanks. If there is a leak it seems like it would be severe as the water is leaving the filter quickly once the faucets are off. with a severe leak you would probably be able to see it. (but maybe not) Any other ideas, I am putting in a call to the dealer.
Maybe the pump is allowing a backflow back into the tank. May have a bad pump.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
camping

we had a similar situation last weekend out. the pump would take 10 or more seconds to get its prime, pump water and then when the faucet was turned off it would just spin not pumping any water. the problem was the filter cup gasket/oring. it was bad and allowed air to into the system. I had another filter so I changed them out and no more issues.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

My pump seems to be sucking an air/water combo. Once the filter gets full I can see water and air bubbles entering the filter. There is a small glass bulb with a filter on the fresh water line right before it enters the pump. When you unscrew it the filter fills with air. When you screw it down tight you get water and very little air. The pump actually shut off for the 1st time. I pulled the bulb apart and there is a small 1 inch gasket. It looks brittle but I don't see any cracks. I am running to the hardware store to get a replacement. Will let you know!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMT View Post
My pump seems to be sucking an air/water combo. Once the filter gets full I can see water and air bubbles entering the filter. There is a small glass bulb with a filter on the fresh water line right before it enters the pump. When you unscrew it the filter fills with air. When you screw it down tight you get water and very little air. The pump actually shut off for the 1st time. I pulled the bulb apart and there is a small 1 inch gasket. It looks brittle but I don't see any cracks. I am running to the hardware store to get a replacement. Will let you know!
exactly what ours did- if your pump is a Shurflo call them and they will send you a new filter assembly, they did for me. they don't sell the gasket / oring separately. if you find a gasket at the hardware store can you let me know where and a part number-- thanks

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #9

My trailer had the same problem. Turned out the was a cut in one if the hoses on the suction side of the pump. Fixed and doesn't seem to have the air or noise any more.
cowpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #10

Went to ACE Hardware. They did not have the exact gasket but had an O-ring that was the correct size. Replaced the gasket with the O-ring and presto, issue is fixed. I will call Sure-Flow tomorrow and get a replacement part. Ace Hardware did have the correct gasket (or at least there was a place for one) but it was sold out.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #11

Thought I had the air/noise issue fixed but no. The noise came back but not until later in the weekend. Went to the dealer and it turns out that there is a problem with the anti-freeze line check valve. When the water level gets down to a given point in the tank, the suction over comes the spring on the check valve and begins to suck air. I was given a ball valve and have installed it in-line between the anti-freeze inlet and the pump. Hopefully this works.
cowpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote