Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Tried that but they settle down in the gravel and move around when not parked on them.
We have our MH parked on 6 pics,,, during winter storage,,, no problems !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #62

The problem I was having was with the packed Stone I originally had when it rained and a little water got in there it was very dirty and I would have to take my shoes off or put something on floor once I went inside the rig. This was put down to eliminate just that not for a foundation so to say.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #63

I plane on storing with trailer legs for long term come the off season.
http://www.trailerlegs.com/
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Here's a suggestion that will cost about $50 or so and takes about an hour to complete . That gravel you put down is going to move and settle as you drive onto it which creates leveling problems.

You can easily pour two concrete pads that will assure you a level camper every time you pull in. Size and placement is your choice. I think mine are 24"x60" and poured so I park the camper close enough to the side to allow parking a vehicle on the other side.
I like.

Unsure what "type" of gravel or road bed to put down. Don't want gravel small enough to get into the tread of the truck tires, or I'll be flinging stones every time I leave the driveway. Then if ya go too big, they will likely move around like ball bearings when driving over them.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I like.

Unsure what "type" of gravel or road bed to put down. Don't want gravel small enough to get into the tread of the truck tires, or I'll be flinging stones every time I leave the driveway. Then if ya go too big, they will likely move around like ball bearings when driving over them.

Tuckerdog1
Gravel names seem to vary depending on where you are. Mine was first a truckload of what we call 5-7 rock. After it was leveled and smoothed we laid a truckload of what's called "crush and run". It's a smaller rock with a very course, almost sandy, crushed rock mixed in. With a little water sprayed over it the sandy stuff sinks into the larger 5-7 rock and does a good job of stabilizing it.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #66

Quote:
Gravel names seem to vary depending on where you are. Mine was first a truckload of what we call 5-7 rock. After it was leveled and smoothed we laid a truckload of what's called "crush and run". It's a smaller rock with a very course, almost sandy, crushed rock mixed in. With a little water sprayed over it the sandy stuff sinks into the larger 5-7 rock and does a good job of stabilizing it.
Thanks emm-dee,
When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll think about this two step option.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #67
2017 Windjammer 3029w

Crushed or jagged rock settles firm where smooth rock such as river rock or smooth gravel moves around, even much later. For a firm ground using rock, crushed is much better as it holds ogerher much better than smooth. This is true for smaller or larger sized rock.
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #68

Crushed concrete looks Great,,, but does not pack like road gravel,,, it has no clay in it !!!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #69
2017 Windjammer 3029w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Crushed concrete looks Great,,, but does not pack like road gravel,,, it has no clay in it !!!
I just finished a job using crushed concrete and had 8 - 14 yard dump trucks go over it and pretty much held up with hardly any ruts. It worked great for my use and almost no movement.

We put in new culvert with dirt packed around and over it and then packed in the crushed concrete over the dirt to stabilize it before any dump trucks ran over it. It is pretty solid. Photos show the before and after but the after is in the distance, but looks almost as good as the before except for next to the end of culvert where the trucks went next to culvert to turn around and it was not near as packed as the middle and that has almost no movement.

Even road gravel is not smooth and has jagged edges which is crushed rock. The jagged edges allow the rock to lock together. In my work place we used a lot of crushed rock for walking surfaces and found that any smooth rock, caused ankle injuries because it moved and caused twisted ankles. Crush rock doesn't give near as much and no more injuries. I worked in a chemical plant and the policy became strictly crushed rock of 1/2" or less in diameter for walking surfaces. Bigger rock, also caused twisted ankles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	138290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demo_12.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	138291  
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #70

I would never be able to use a snow plow on my crushed concrete,,, it would all be in the show pile !!! I have to be very careful with my 0 turn mower,,, or get out a rake !!!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #71

Quote:
Back in the day.. we would go to the hoot plant(gravel/sand place) and get some "shake off". Knew a guy there and they would give you a P/U load... it had lots of clay in it and it packed like hot mix. Looked like a county road when you got finished.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #72

No dough clay do pack !!!
Our soil here is very high in clay,,, when it is dry it is like concrete !!!
When it is wet,,, it is mud !!!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #73

Quote:
No dough clay do pack !!!
Our soil here is very high in clay,,, when it is dry it is like concrete !!!
When it is wet,,, it is mud !!!

That's exactly what was happening to my grounds and the reason I had gravel dumped under carport. I would do the entire driveway with it but forget about snow blow let alone snow blower.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #74

All the carports look very nice. We had one put in our back yard 5 years ago by Carolina Caarports. The last pole and the end are completely enclosed with a garage door. As you pull in, it looks like there is a garage with a door in the middle but really it's a 52 inch deep shed that is 20 feet wide. At the time I had it put up we had a boat and no camper. Now that the boat will be sold I will have to take the front gable and raise it to clear the 2504. We used a crushed sand gravel mix that is hard as concrete now. After 5 years the carport is still perfectly level. I would highly recommend anyone in range use Carolina Carports. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 AM   #75

[emoji1303]
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-19-2017, 03:12 AM   #76

Quote:
Crusher run ( crush and run) is a mix of #57 gravel and sand. It's a road base material. I suspect the 5-7 gravel is #57 gravel ( same as crusher run but without the sand). Is it cheaper? I never even thought to check.

I maintain about 600 yards of hilly gravel drive. Always looking to save some $$.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Crusher run ( crush and run) is a mix of #57 gravel and sand. It's a road base material. I suspect the 5-7 gravel is #57 gravel ( same as crusher run but without the sand). Is it cheaper? I never even thought to check.

I maintain about 600 yards of hilly gravel drive. Always looking to save some $$.
Around here #57, which is an American association of state highway and transportation officials designation (AASHTO) is also known as #2B (PENNDOT), and what is referred to as crush and run is #2A or #2RC. Essentially a little larger than #2B but with a percentage of fines. Here it's all typically limestone and the fines in #2A are limestone dust.

Want do go cheaper? If crushed concrete is available that's not bad stuff as long as the magnets were working on the crusher to pull the mesh out while crushing. We once used it for parking lot base. We had about 50 people with flat tires come the end of the day on a Wal-Mart project when the magnet malfunctioned and left the metal in.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
That's exactly what was happening to my grounds and the reason I had gravel dumped under carport. I would do the entire driveway with it but forget about snow blow let alone snow blower.
I knew ours would not pack well enough to ever snow plow,,, I have no plans to ever move MH when there is snow on the ground !!!
Hoping for a RV port one of these days ???

Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #79

Exactly my thoughts as well.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #80

We put up a fully enclosed carport 18 x 40 ft 2 years ago. Back and sides all the way to the ground and then built custom swing out doors for the front.

We went with a Crushed stone base. Ever since, I've been fighting white fungus-like stuff growing over 2/3 of the floor. Anybody have any tips on knocking that stuff out? I tried a spray fungicide with some short term success, but it came back. . .
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote