Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Weight issue with 2608WS

I am looking at purchasing a 2608WS. I am concerned about the cargo carrying capacity as the yellow label on the unit says 880lbs cargo capacity without water. The axles are only rated for 3000 lbs each which is apparently why the cargo weight is so low. Has anyone had issues with the weight when loaded up to go camping, assuming you do not travel with water in the tank? I like the layout and functionality of the unit. Only concern is the cargo carrying capacity.
sabanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Always Learning

Ok, I was about to start on dry weights, but I see that you're referring to the yellow sticker. It is way more appropriate than the advertised "dry weight" (which looks to be 962 pounds).

It looks like 80 pounds are accounted for. Seems a little light if they're accounting for full propane tanks and a battery. You might be even less than 880 if they aren't fully accounted for.

Otherwise, if you're going to put slide toppers on- that's another bit of weight that you lose.

So, figuring- lowball, 700 pounds left for "stuff". I'd guess it could be done, if you're careful. (If you buy it, I'd try to get a couple of weighings in after getting it to ensure that you're within the camper's GVWR.)

I'd definitely plan on carrying as little water (fresh, gray and black) as possible. Water is heavy at 8 pounds per gallon.

Then you're just looking at your personal items and what you carry with you (keeping in mind that it can add up- food, drinks, clothing, toiletries, cooking instruments (pots, pans, grill/tripod for fire, utensils), towels/wash clothes for showers, tools, chairs, outdoor tables, etc.).

Hopefully someone with a 2608WS will chime in...
Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

It really depends on what you want to keep in your TT. Some of the 5th wheel people on this forum carry 1K minimum but I have found that I can get by with just a few hundred pounds. Its really a matter of personal choice. Going with no water is important ad Epy said above. Also, do you have additional capacity in your TV? If so, you can put some of the weight there. I came from tent camping to pup to a TT and just weighed all of my stuff prior to purchase. I only had to estimte things like suitcase and food/drinks (which can theoretically be purchased on arrival). I would strongly reccomend a cat scale. While I am one to push the limits, oveloading tires and axles could lead to a serious issue (I am not a member of the weight police).
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

I have never weighed my trailers before. Our Nash I never had a problem with it and it was loaded. After the kids were out of the house, I used the bunk beds for storage. It weigh 8300 lbs dry and pulled like a dream.

Our Rockwood, 2608WS is a different story. We pack for 5 days at a time. Since we dry camp most often, I have a full tank of fresh water. We carry a lot of stuff in our TV. The trailer had the smaller propane tanks when we bought it so we had them trade out for our larger ones off the Nash.

My thought is, I bought the trailer to camp in so I am going to use it like I want. If it cannot hold up to what we do, then it will be down the road. So far we can live with the issues that we have experienced.

Not sure if I answered your question or not. I say to fill it up with what you need and go for it.
Tom Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight