Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #1

Weight question

I recently took our travel trailer to a CAT scale and weighted it. There were 3 scales that I rolled up on with our tow vehicle and travel trailer. The steer axle, front tire of tow vehicle on one scale, drive axle of tow vehicle on the next scale and trailer axle on third scale. I am trying to figure out what the following numbers mean in relationship to being overweight/underweight. The tow vehicle is a 2011 GMC Sierra2500HD. The trailer is a 2018 Rookwood Ultralite 2902ws

Steer Axle 4460lb
Drive Axle 4840lb
Trailer Axle 6780lb

Thanks for any insight on this
fxfb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #2

Unfortunately you need a couple more measurements.

With those numbers you can make sure you’re not overweight on your GAWRs and GCVWR, but that’s about it.

Go here for more info on weighing your set-up: https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
Always Learning

Generally speaking, when you weigh a travel trailer, you want to get a set of 3 weights:

1, truck + trailer with WDH
2, truck + trailer w/o WDH (just coupler on ball & put the bars in the truck bed)
3, truck only

You want to pull off of the scale between each step to make adjustments. Here's an article + video that explains it:

https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/

You want to do all 3 weights so you can:

1, determine if your WDH is pushing enough weight back to the front axle
2, calculate the tongue weight
3, determine the trailer's overall weight (tongue weight + trailer axle weight w/o WDH)

Given the numbers that you have post, you can compare a few things on the truck. Find the sticker on the doorjamb that gives you:
- the truck's GVWR
- the truck's front and rear GAWR

Then look on the rear tire's sidewall and get the tire load capacity.

And finally, look in the owner's manual for your GCWR.

Once you have all of those numbers, we can compare them against the weights you provided.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #4

There is not enough information here to help you. the best way to get what you are asking would be to run through the scales at least twice, depending on your setup, I will attach a link below to help you. With one pass like you did you can get an estimate against the published numbers for your truck, but we would need your truck spcs, (i.e. cab type & power plant), type of RV (TT or fifth wheel). You should have also received a Gross weight number on your ticket, would need that as well.

https://johnmarucci.com/2020/11/02/t...-hitch-basics/
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #5

You should have gone around the scale a 2nd time with just your tow vehicle. That way you have a baseline of your tow vehicle axle weights and see how those values are changed with the travel trailer attached.
Chrisboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #6

Thanks all. It seems I need to get a few more weigh ins. I will be going back to the scale and do the multiple weights. ependydad, I did find the sticker on the inside of my door panel and they read as such:
GVWR 10000LB
GAWR front 5200LB
GAWR rear 6200LB
Tire load capacity on the tires said: Load Range E with a max load, single, 3750LB

Once I have the other weigh ins i will post them here.
Thats another thing, i think i do need to adjust my WDH since we went from a 22ft trailer to a 30ft trailer. Hard to find a spot that is level for my truck and trailer to do the adjustments here.
Thanks again to everyone's posts.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxb2000
Steer Axle 4460lb
Drive Axle 4840lb
Trailer Axle 6780lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxfb2000 View Post
I did find the sticker on the inside of my door panel and they read as such:
GVWR 10000LB
GAWR front 5200LB
GAWR rear 6200LB
Tire load capacity on the tires said: Load Range E with a max load, single, 3750LB
Your truck weight when hitched up is 9,300 lbs. This is 700 pounds under your GVWR.

Your front axle is carrying 4,460 pounds. This is 740 pounds under your front GAWR.

Your rear axle is carrying 4,840 pounds. This is 1,360 pounds under your rear GAWR and 2,660 under your tire load capacity.

All around, these are looking pretty good. As I mentioned, you want to do the other weights so you can see how your WDH is adjusted, how much tongue weight you have, and so that you can check the tongue weight vs. the hitch's ratings.

As for a level place for the WDH adjustments, the truck stop might work for that.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #8

Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Your truck weight when hitched up is 9,300 lbs. This is 700 pounds under your GVWR.

Your front axle is carrying 4,460 pounds. This is 740 pounds under your front GAWR.

Your rear axle is carrying 4,840 pounds. This is 1,360 pounds under your rear GAWR and 2,660 under your tire load capacity.

All around, these are looking pretty good. As I mentioned, you want to do the other weights so you can see how your WDH is adjusted, how much tongue weight you have, and so that you can check the tongue weight vs. the hitch's ratings.

As for a level place for the WDH adjustments, the truck stop might work for that.
I failed to put the GCWR. IT is 24,500lbs.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxfb2000 View Post
I failed to put the GCWR. IT is 24,500lbs.
At a total weight of 16,080 lbs., you're also way under that.

Great job picking an great combo!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #10

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
At a total weight of 16,080 lbs., you're also way under that.

Great job picking an great combo!
Thanks ependydad, looks like I did well on the combo, not so much on the weighing! Ha! Thanks again man!!

Tags
question, weight