Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #21

Are sumo springs worth it? We have the same setup TV & TT.
kbirkenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbirkenfeld View Post
Mine are.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:03 AM   #23
Is cool

Quote:
They definitely firm things up, went with the blue as I read the black could be a bit harsh if you hit them when the truck was unloaded.

When I first put them on, the truck looked like it was sagging more than before. Thought the ride felt about the same. Took truck back to the CAT scale and 300 lb had shifted from the front to the rear axle. I guess they took some weight off before the bars in the WDH really engaged. Added 2 washers and got front axle back where it should be.

Now it feels pretty solid. I also upgraded to XL tires, which helps too, no need for E rated on a 1/2 ton. You can still tell there's something back there, but not as much teeter tottering when you hit a bump.
ChawlzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #24

Appreciate the insight on the springs. I'm up for new TV tires so what the go to XL tires that you use?
kbirkenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
Is cool

Quote:
Appreciate the insight on the springs. I'm up for new TV tires so what the go to XL tires that you use?
I went with the Cooper Zeon LTZ, because I wanted a slightly more aggressive look and they're not too loud on the HWY.

Over on https://www.ram1500diesel.com/ a lot of people are running the General Grabber HTS60 or the Cooper Discoverer HT-plus.

Some also go down to 275/55 which effectively drops your gearing a hair.
ChawlzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #26

2509S

We have a 2018 2509s. We love it. We are a family of 5 (kids 12, 10 and 3) that travel with two dogs. For us, the murphy bed was what sealed the deal. We loved being able to tow it with a 1/2 ton truck, which is what I had at the time. The murphy bed was able to get us the sofa, which we wanted. It's really the best of both worlds.

I towed with a 2010 F150. Payload was 1532. I CAT scaled it and found that on a typical trip, we were about 200lbs over payload and rear axle weight rating. Keep this in mind with any travel trailer. Just because someone says, "Hell, I a 42 footer with my half ton!", that doesn't mean that your specific half truck is set up to do that. Focus on your truck's numbers. I had a person tell me that there was "...no way you're over your payload. I tow with the exact same set up." Then I found out that they were missing three kids and two dogs. So, not quite the same set up.

We just bought an F250. I towed the Rockwood home from winter storage. What and unbelievable difference. Plus, it gives us room to upgrade if we want to.

Good luck and have fun!
Mdmoore76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyds View Post
Thank you for all of that detailed information. That gives a good idea of tongue weight and everything. I guess I should figure around 1,000 pounds max tongue weight and my payload is about 1630 so that should work. Would be nice to have that 1810 like yours though
Should be interesting to hear about your experience once you get a chance to tow it with your truck. I have an F-150 and it has a 1641 payload rating. I too, have a 2509S on order.
CZ 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #28
Open Space Wanted

Looking at a 2509S and have a 4x4 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI with tow package rated at 7,200 lbs. Do you see any issues with this combination since the UVW is 5,300 and CCC is 1569 and the hitch is at 709 lbs.?

Does the hitch weight really change with loading since most storage is going to be forward of the wheels?

Could be my first travel trailer.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:48 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Looking at a 2509S and have a 4x4 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI with tow package rated at 7,200 lbs. Do you see any issues with this combination since the UVW is 5,300 and CCC is 1569 and the hitch is at 709 lbs.?

Does the hitch weight really change with loading since most storage is going to be forward of the wheels?

Could be my first travel trailer.
Generally you use 12% of the trailer's GVWR to ballpark the loaded tongue weight. So that would be around 825lbs. Add 100lbs for the WDH and you've got 925lbs to subtract from the Jeep's door sticker payload capacity number. What you have left over, is the max amount for the weights of driver, passengers and car cargo.
I'm betting that the hitch receiver is only rated for 720lbs max, which this trailer's loaded tongue weight will easily exceed, if not the Jeep's payload capacity too.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #30

Hi Red Rover,

I think the 2509S might be a bit much for your tow vehicle. I tow mine with a Tundra and am right at the limit, even though it can tow 9,900 lbs. The issue is your TV's (tow vehicle) cargo capacity or maximum gross weight. You will likely hit that before reaching max towable weight.

My Tundra's maximum gross weight is 7,100 lbs, and I am right at that amount with my 2509S hooked up, full tank of gas, ALL TRAILER TANKS EMTPY, all my stuff, wife and two medium-size dogs.

Hitch weight will definitely increase with loading, for anything in front of the trailer axles. If possible, get to a scale and weigh your Grand Cherokee TV with a full tank of gas and expected passenger/cargo load. Then, check the sticker in your door jamb to get your TV's maximum gross weight. Subtract your weight taken at the scale and you'll see what capacity you have left over for tongue weight.

It is likely that you don't have 709 lbs left over even for the empty hitch weight.

But anyway, follow the above process and you'll know for sure.

BTW, we LOVE our 2509S...!
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #31

F150

Glad to see this question posted. My wife and I are looking to order a 2021 2509s, and also have a 1/2 truck and I've been a bit apprehensive about tow capacity.

Our 2016 F150 is 3.5L standard (no Ecoboost), 3.73 rear end, 2WD. Specs state 7400 pounds tow capacity. We have a Curt class-4 hitch (yes, more than what the truck will ever need, but was only $25 more than the class-3). Tongue weight capacity on the Curt hitch is 1000lbs.

This will be our 2nd RV, first was a Jayco Hummingbird (very lightweight and easy to tow, no WD hitch or sway bar was needed (original owners didn't use one either, and it towed perfectly...but I now understand that doing so probably wasn't a very good idea).

So although still a lightweight TT, the 2509s is sneaking up towards the boundaries of our tow capacity. We will probably upsize next summer to at least a 3/4T pickup. We don't expect to boondock, so full freshwater tanks aren't expected to be an issue.

Thanks for any advice!
Pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #32

I have a similar Rockwood that is slightly heavier. I use a 2002 Ford one ton diesel.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #33

Pyroguy, my only other suggestion is that you get a weight-distributing hitch with sway control. Ours is an E2 brand. Really makes a difference in getting weight off of your TV's rear axle (shifting it to the front). The sway control is amazing. I can run 55 MPH down a 2-lane highway, with semi's going the other way at more like 65 MPH, and when they blow by, the trailer doesn't even twitch.

Re 3/4 ton, one comment I've heard on postings here is that if you get a diesel, watch what your remaining payload capacity is. I've heard the heavy engine eats up a surprising amount of the additional gross vehicle weight. You'll be ahead vs. a half-ton, for sure, but maybe not as much as you might expect.

We thought hard about getting a 3/4 ton, but we'd have had to switch away from Toyota, and a 3/4 ton to us isn't as good of a daily driver for my wife.
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #34
Open Space Wanted

Appreciate the quck replies and looks like my additional research into the only 1,050 lbs. cargo weight trashes this model selection. Really wanted the bunks and looks like the 2109S would be the only size I could possibly go with. But there's no way I'd want anyone sleeping on that sofa for more than two nights.

Pop-ups not an option and sticking with the Jeep. Don't think I have much else to choose from. The no boundaries was crossed off the list since I didn't like the interior at all.

Anyone have alternative choices from other brands?
Old 04-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Appreciate the quck replies and looks like my additional research into the only 1,050 lbs. cargo weight trashes this model selection. Really wanted the bunks and looks like the 2109S would be the only size I could possibly go with. But there's no way I'd want anyone sleeping on that sofa for more than two nights.

Pop-ups not an option and sticking with the Jeep. Don't think I have much else to choose from. The no boundaries was crossed off the list since I didn't like the interior at all.

Anyone have alternative choices from other brands?
I'm not clear. Are you saying that your Jeep has a payload capacity of only 1050lbs? If not, what does the driver's door yellow sticker say is the payload capacity. It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #36
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm not clear. Are you saying that your Jeep has a payload capacity of only 1050lbs? If not, what does the driver's door yellow sticker say is the payload capacity. It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".

Yes, it says 1,050 which I thought was rather low.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, it says 1,050 which I thought was rather low.
You are correct, that is very low. Especially for that trailer. That low payload will really limit your choices.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #38

Got the flagstaff model (25brds) and tow with a 2018 yukon short wheelbase. Haven been to a scale yet and kinda scared to but i feel 100% confident while towing. Equalizer hitch really helps that. Plenty of power and stops just as good as my old 2500
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:32 AM   #39
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Mine are also ! Completely stopped the bucking from my 'tail-heavy' camper. Also helped combat sway considerably.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #40
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You are correct, that is very low. Especially for that trailer. That low payload will really limit your choices.

Keep getting knocked down the food chain. Will probably need to choose another vehicle when the time comes to get a new one. Thanks.

Tags
2509s