Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

What size are the outdoor speakers on Rockwood Ultra Lites?

Still waiting on my rig. Wondering what size the speakers are that come in the pods installed outside in the Rockwood. Wanting to upgrade. Tries searching and got nothing. Any help is appreciated.
DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
Still waiting on my rig. Wondering what size the speakers are that come in the pods installed outside in the Rockwood. Wanting to upgrade. Tries searching and got nothing. Any help is appreciated.
I believe they are about 3" or 4", I wanted to pull mine off to see because I am sure they wired the polarity backwards, they did so everywhere else, but didn't want to cut the caulking, a project for next year. They are absolute garbage. Borderline ok for listening to the news or a talk show but they are not Polk or JL Audio or something. Inside is not much better, you can pick up a pair of the inside ones on Ebay for $16..................shipping included.

I am seriously considering Polk Atrium 6's mounted horizontally to the frame flange behind the lower skirting, maybe throw some tweeters in those factory pods or both Fusion and Kicker make a 4" 2 way marine speaker that would have to be better than the factory junk. Might even put a marine subwoofer up under the floor so I can piss off the entire campground playing some metal. I learned to drive in my dads 73 Ford Maverick with an AM radio, it had a better speaker. It was also a chick magnet.

Seriously you could always take a jigsaw to the side and install some marine 6 1/2". Just have to be creative on placement and maybe build a baffle inside a cabinet. I could do that on our Roo and one would be in the dead space above and behind the fridge, the other in the cabinet over the dinette, and I could cut them in where the existing wiring holes are.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

I am looking at the Poll audio 5.25 or 6.5" marine DB 521 or 651s. They have a baffle/pod in eBay that is made for that size. Was wanting to find something that would fit existing pod, but doesn't sound like that will work. My sister got her trailer 3 months ago, and one factory speaker already went out. She is taking in for warranty repairs, but it was bad when it worked.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
I am looking at the Poll audio 5.25 or 6.5" marine DB 521 or 651s. They have a baffle/pod in eBay that is made for that size. Was wanting to find something that would fit existing pod, but doesn't sound like that will work. My sister got her trailer 3 months ago, and one factory speaker already went out. She is taking in for warranty repairs, but it was bad when it worked.
My sidewalls on the Roo are a total of 1-3/8" thick total, On your 2905 they may be a little thicker but based on the R value I doubt it. You should be able to cut them in just the same as far as the locations I mentioned. One in the dead space behind fridge and the other in the cabinet above the sink. Thats where your wiring will come through to the factory pods. The wiring will be through the wall at the sink in the false floor of the upper cabinet. You can carefully pull that false bottom out inside the cabinet for access. You would just have to lay it out so the speaker flange covers the hole because you dont want to whack out the 1X 1 1/2" ledger in the bottom of that cabinet inside the dead space at the outer wall Although if your careful I guess it could be done. Then build an inside baflle about 1' thick or a little more to hide the magnet.

The disadvantage I see with the Ebay baffles is you now have two joints to worry about leaks as opposed to one.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #5

outdoor speakers

They are usually 5-1/4" full range marine speakers. If you want to upgrade to a 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" you will have to do a little cutting. I know JBL and Polk audio make some good coaxial 2 way marine speakers in 5-1/4 and 6-1/2. Problem is getting much bass from a speaker that size.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
They are usually 5-1/4" full range marine speakers. If you want to upgrade to a 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" you will have to do a little cutting. I know JBL and Polk audio make some good coaxial 2 way marine speakers in 5-1/4 and 6-1/2. Problem is getting much bass from a speaker that size.

Rockwood uses the exterior speakers in these pictures. The base / flange of the housing is 5 -1/2", the speaker inside is more like a 3". Its a stretch to call them 5 - 1/2" speakers, its an even bigger stretch to call them speakers at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600a.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	126336   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	126337  
Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

outdoor speakers

Those are surface mounted. The flush mounted speakers are usually 5-1/4".
Old 12-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Rockwood uses the exterior speakers in these pictures. The base / flange of the housing is 5 -1/2", the speaker inside is more like a 3". Its a stretch to call them 5 - 1/2" speakers, its an even bigger stretch to call them speakers at all.
That's exactly what mine will have. Hmmmm. Wondering if there are any speakers that I can just replace into the factory pod mount that will sound good??? If not, I will order new pods and speakers. The Polk DB651s I have in my golf cart sound great.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #9

Mine are 5 1/4, 25 ohm mounted on adapters because I don't have cabinets behind them to be able to cut them in flush through the wall. I bought 6 1/2 Bazookas from a friend of mine and going to purchase 6 1/2 adapters to mount the new ones.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

Speaker Size

They are in the 3-4 inch size. I pulled mine off to replace them since the sound quality is very poor. Some hints if you decide to do the same.
1. No room for deeper speakers, since they are sorta stuck onto the outside.
2. It wasn't worth the effort
3. If you want better speakers then buy some ring extenders so that the speakers can be mounted with at least a little room behind them.

As another stated "he thought they must have reversed the polarity because the sound was very poor. - I thought maybe that was the case so I checked it twice and no it's OK. I think the issue is no breathing space behind the speakers so they have zero base and a very flat sound. I replaced mine with 5 1/4 inch marine speakers and maybe they are better but not much. I think if I put the extension rings on them to give them a little space they would be better.

At this point I have a dreaded case of RV modification syndrome and have pulled most of the systems apart.

Speaking of speakers while the outside ones are crap I did some work on the inside ones and ended up with some decent sound. Added tweeters and a sub to the pair over the dinette in my Roo. Now mind you I'm 68 with ringing from a ruptured eardrum in Vietnam so I may not be the best judge of sound quality, but I'm having fun

Happy Travels
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

Here are the pods I am looking at for either 5.25" or 6.5" PolkDb speakers. They are marine grade speakers and sound great with stock systems. The extra room and air the pod creates, makes much better sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2947.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	126342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	126343  
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

outdoor speakers

Looks good. Now add a sub and your in business.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Looks good. Now add a sub and your in business.
So what kind and where to add a sub??? It will be a brand new rig, so i don't want to drill a bunch of holes in it. Can I direct wire it to the original head unit? I also have the sound bar in the new unit coming. I am thinking of upgrading that to a new sound bar and sub inside for movies. That is easy though.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #14

outdoor speakers

You could mount one in one of the outdoor compartments. If you have an extra channel you could hard wire for a passive speaker. You can get a compact single woofer with dual voice coils and a low pass filter. If your head unit has a Sub out you could add a small powered sub. Or you could do a portable. Some of the portables have built in bluetooth if your head unit has bluetooth.
My new MH does not have outdoor speakers and I thought about instalingl them but decided to buy a portable boombox with bluetooth, sd card, usb, aux input and am/fm receiver. It also has a rechargeable lith. battery or can be plugged in to 120v ac.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #15

I have a different situation but did mount the Polk db651's to the ceiling in my coach using 1/2 inch trim rings double up to be 1" thick and this let me mount the db651's without haveing to cut where the 3" speakers were before and gave me a little more air behing them for better bass. Just a thought that either one or two rings on your mount might let you mount the 6.5 as well which is definitely worthwhile. Like others have said...you'll find a real improvement of sound quality but if you want to crank some bass in the open air...I'd suggest a POWERED subwoofer. They have some slim models as well as a wide range of Bazooka type models if you have a larger space. they are easily disconnected when not needed. EXAMPLES:

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:49 AM   #16

Just something to consider, and I'm not trying to be the speaker police as I am somewhat of an Audio Geek and a guitar player who has a 100 watt Marshall stack here beside me, a ton of other amps, and a home theatre setup that can almost crack windows. Nothing I like better than letting it rip.

That being said I have wrestled with myself on this 2017 Roo and the previous trailer, going too nuts with the sound systems. I actually have a 5 CH X 80 watt Infinity amp and a sub here somewhere that I have resisted installing for 5 years in the trailers.
We go mostly to State Parks and have had my fair share of others who have "disturbed the peace" if you will, its actually annoying as hell. I just don't want to be that guy and know if I have it I am going to use it. That sound carries further than most people believe (especially a sub). RV's have a number close to 0 as far as sound transmission go's to begin with. My Roo is in the negative numbers I think due to the tent ends. I have sat around the fire by myself late at night guzzling bourbon and can hear inside conversations or tell you what DVD is being watched in travel trailers 3 sites away. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Just something to consider, and I'm not trying to be the speaker police as I am somewhat of an Audio Geek and a guitar player who has a 100 watt Marshall stack here beside me, a ton of other amps, and a home theatre setup that can almost crack windows. Nothing I like better than letting it rip.

That being said I have wrestled with myself on this 2017 Roo and the previous trailer, going too nuts with the sound systems. I actually have a 5 CH X 80 watt Infinity amp and a sub here somewhere that I have resisted installing for 5 years in the trailers.
We go mostly to State Parks and have had my fair share of others who have "disturbed the peace" if you will, its actually annoying as hell. I just don't want to be that guy and know if I have it I am going to use it. That sound carries further than most people believe (especially a sub). RV's have a number close to 0 as far as sound transmission go's to begin with. My Roo is in the negative numbers I think due to the tent ends. I have sat around the fire by myself late at night guzzling bourbon and can hear inside conversations or tell you what DVD is being watched in travel trailers 3 sites away. Just a thought.
I am glad you said it! I don't care what sound system you guy's/gal's use in your RVs or cars as long as you keep the "Noise" within your site! Youroo! !
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #18

X2 Mr. Havercamp!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
Site Team

Mine are small and weak. It does make a difference when audio levels are adjusted but still weak.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
X2 Mr. Havercamp!

Well do not get too excited, if I'm almost by myself in a campground say mid week, and the nearest neighbor is a good distance away, I tend to go at it.

The intent of my post was just a reminder that these RV's are not a house with 2X6 walls and that sound carries far, especially when you're in a totally rural area with little ambient sound.

Tags
door, rockwood