Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Whats needed?

Yesterday we signed all our paperwork for our new 8311ss TT. The faimly is real excited about it and we cant wait till april comes to bring it home. The dealer that we bought it from also owns a campground on the facility and as part of our purchase of our new TT they offer a 2 night stay with full hookup at no charge. But here is my question. What items should i bring that would be of the most important in having for our first time use?
What im trying to get at is that I dont want to show up with nothing and all of a sudden i get the dealer selling me a buch of needed things at a steeper price when i could of have gotten them before and save some money.
So far i already know i need to get a good towing setup so i can tow it home plus tools to put it together and interior supplys that we need for sleeping. I'm not worried about food as there are stores to go to in town. Im just trying to get a good list of PRIORITY items needed as to this will be our first trip with it. Our dealer is 2 1\2 hours from our home and i want to make sure that i have a good list before we go to avoid running back for anything. Any help is greatly apreciated
bobmart5705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

We would suggest paper towels to check water lines, if you have a convection oven either popcorn or cinnamon rolls.... something to make cold in the fridge, flashlight, sewer hose, water hoses, baskets if you are transferring from one to the other, DVD to check player, knowledge of a local radio station.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

There are threads with lists but to add to this list something to use for wheel chocks, (many options), leveling blocks (for side to side) they may set it up the first time for you since they are part of a campground, two water hoses a drinking water hose & a cheap garden hose to clean out the black tank, sewer hose & connections. Make sure that your tow vehicle is completely set up including a 7 pin plug,& brake controller.

Be sure to check your TV remotes (one of ours did not work). Along with all your electrical & water systems.

They may give you a cheap starter kit if not most of us use a water pressure regulator for the hose line in. I keep a cheap level to level it side to side & front to back.

For later you may want an inline water filter & a surge protector.

My DW & I got to laughing last time we camped & were setting up.......Didn't realize it was so much work to go off to relax.....................Would not trade it for any Hilton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Go to Walmart to get A good sewerage hose, the leveling pads and water hose. Also advise to get a water pressure regulator. Be sure you purchase odor chemical for the black tank. TP is your choice and you can find post about that on these forums. These items are sometimes in a starter kit the dealership gives you, however, normally a cheaper product.

You may want to take a few pots and pans to check the stove. Bake something in the oven to make sure it functions properly.

Good luck, have a great first outing.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

You say that walmart has the sewage hose. Do they come in certian lenghths and diameters? also what about electric, how long of a cord should i get and do they come in different guages? Coax cable for tv? Again, im so new to having tt of my own and apoligize if these seem like stupid questions. As far the tow vehicle i have that covered as well with a brake controller.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats on the new camper. My buddy bought an 8311ss in Nov. and has yet to use it. I really like the layout. I would suggest to the dealer that you pull it home first, load it with your personals, check all the lists that are available here, gather items, then do your weekend campout at the dealer.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

There is VERY little that you can't get by with for a "first weekend" trip, other than a pen and notebook. Take what you THINK that you will need, then just start taking notes on what you think that you need.... THEN, before you go out and BUY those things that you think that you need, ask questions about the specific items on this forum, to see how others have overcome the challenges....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry, forgot to add that even though you are 2 1/2 hours away, it might be good to do some towing, if this is your first unit. That way you could address any towing issues with the dealer also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #9

gees...lots of things to consider...

Start by packing as if you were going to a hotel (shaving, teeth care, etc). clothing, etc.
Now add in other bath items - TP, handtowels at least.
Gonna cook - pots,pans,utensils, knives, tin foil, etc.
Gonna eat - plates, bowls, silverware, napkins, etc.
Gonna do dishes...soap, drying towels, dish rack, etc.
(consider the WEIGHT of all these items and the storage locations/capacity. I'd love cast iron and stoneware but opted for inexpensive teflon pans and plastic dishes/bowls.) YMMV of course. But how often will you use them? Check my sig - how many days camping is how often we use these things so you can 'rough it' for a weekend a few times a year, right?
Gonna sleep - pillows, sheets, blankets maybe.
YOu need to clean the camper at the end of the trip - windex/401/toilet cleaner (and chems), broom/vacuum, etc.

The food/shelter thing is taken care of, now what? Gonna sit inside the whole time? So you need chairs. Want to keep your beer on the ground? Tables too. Planning to sit in the dark? Like bugs? etc etc etc.

The sewer hose inclued with campers is cheap. get a good one.
YOu may need a blue boy for some campgrounds.
Water filter? Pressure regulator? Enough hose?
Elec adapters - 30 to 110 is handy as is 30 to 50.
Matches/grill lighter comes in handy
flashlight
wood for wheel leveling (I like the 'lego blocks" for that) and I use chunks of PT4x4 for under the support legs and at times as checks. I got 'x chocks' and that helps quell some of the rocking.
Old towels/rags for wiping off things as you put them away (hands, hoses, wires, etc) as they get wet, muddy, dewy, etc

Imagine moving into an empty house for 3 days - what do you need? Yep, you'll need that. Just look at what you touch/use during a typical day and you'll easily make alist.

PLan your meals carefully - if you need oil, or a spice BRING IT. If you need a certain pot do the same.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmart5705 View Post
You say that walmart has the sewage hose. Do they come in certian lenghths and diameters? also what about electric, how long of a cord should i get and do they come in different guages? Coax cable for tv? Again, im so new to having tt of my own and apoligize if these seem like stupid questions. As far the tow vehicle i have that covered as well with a brake controller.
Sewer lengths - hoses usually come in 5', 10' and 20' lengths. You need as much hose as you'll need once you start camping. :-) Basically, I started with a hose length of 20'. I've found times where the site layout required 30'. I carry more hose than most because I have 2 sewer outlets (2x20' hose lengths and 2x10' hose lengths).

The diameter is a standard 3" hose size. They use "bayonet" fittings. The kits at Walmart come with them pre-attached. If you buy a one-off hose, it may not have them already; you'll need to buy them separate. They just twist on and then stay on forever.

I also have clear elbows that I hook to the camper first. Sounds gross, but it lets you see the "stuff" as it flows. It'll tell you when the tank is really empty as well as how clean you get the tanks with extra water after dumping (and then re-flushing). If you don't have a built-in flusher for your black tank, you can get one that has a hose that hooks up to the elbow and sprays water into the tank. But, I find mine is less than effective since there are bends in the pipe between the outlet and the tank.

You will get an electrical cord with your camper. It'll either be 30 or 50 amps, depending on your specific trailer. Some people buy extensions, but I haven't yet. I do carry dogbone converters to go from 50amp to 30amp and the another to go from 30amp to 20amp so that I can plug into regular household outlets and have limited electricity. I also carry a 50' 12 gauge extension cord. If I'm ever really short, I could use that to get by. So far, it hasn't happened.

I carry 2x25' drinking water hoses. I also carry about 40' in 3 hoses for non-drinking water (black tank flush, etc).
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

Hope all this does not scare ya off... its not that bad once everyting is on board...... we as most leave the majority of the stuff in the camper waiting for the next time........ But the first weekend I would not take everything just the esentials listed in the posts.
You will probably be spending alot of your time learning your trailer & how things work & where things are......(& if they work correctly) don't be afraid to ask a fellow camper next to you how something works we have all been there at some point..........

Good Luck & Enjoy........................... You will may a lifetime of memories & new friends.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Wow! There are alot of things mentioned that i didnt even think of. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #13

Dont worry, i didnt get scared off in any way. im really excited about this and really looking foward to it. I agree to just bring the esentials as most of the time we will be learning the camper inside and out. I definetly will take it for a test tow before i set up, didnt even think of that!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #14

As 'ttrost65' said if this is your first trailer practice towing it. Remember WIDE right turns.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
As 'ttrost65' said if this is your first trailer practice towing it. Remember WIDE right turns.
Forgetting your toothpaste is one thing; forgetting the camper is back there when turning is a whole 'nuther thing.

Remember it is TALLER than your truck when driving under things (like fuel islands and burger take out windows.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #16

I just noticed that your up north. How cold is it going to be? You may need pipe insulation for the water hose. I also use a flat insulation to wrap the camp ground faucet. Had one freeze once, althought the hose never froze.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #17

I'm located in NJ so the weather is always up and down. I dont plan on using it in the winter season but i do know that i need to take all necessary actions to winterize the unit for the season. As far as the towing, it wont be new to me. I currently have a 16' utililty trailer that i use to do landscaping aside from my full time job. Already have a Prodigy brake controller set up and the basics of towing is not a problem for me as well as maintaining it. Now i now that this new tt is twice as long and twice as heavy from what i am used to but im confident that i can handle it. Just gotta take it slow and easy. Thats what makes this forum so great, peoples concerns and help.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #18

I'd towed a lot of small stuff and boats, no big deal. Then got the big camper - huge difference, some is better (brakes, pivot point) and some worse (seeing anything, wider turns).
Since i had a TV I got a cargo trailer and it's way way easier to deal with. I"d like to add brakes to it.
But you'll find I think a much bigger, heavier, taller, longer, wider trailer is more different than it would first appear.
I'm sure you'll do fine. Just be careful when driving over 'transitions' like into and out of parking lots - well, jersey is flat you may be fine. But those tail dragger bars get a workout around here and my neighbor coming out of a gas station manage to remove his drain hookup plumbing and the dragger bar. You just can't see everything all the time.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote