RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Wifi/cellular connection in RV

Hello all, I'm starting to see that Rockwood is now installing the All in One Teton HD TV/Wi-Fi Booster/AM/FM Antenna (LTE Prep) as new equipment in the 2021 models. Any comments on how it works and has anyone upgraded the Teton to include a cellular connection.
Bellas owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Just don't expect much from it boosting campground wifi. Campground wifi is notoriously poor and slow.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just don't expect much from it boosting campground wifi. Campground wifi is notoriously poor and slow.
Yeah, I'm not counting on much. That's why I'm interested in cellular connection to create a personal wifi network.
Bellas owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #4

No experience with that, but I recently bought a weboost cell phone booster antenna. it's expensive but it works really well.
timbob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

We each have a wifi hotspot, hers w/AT&T, mine with Sprint/T-Mobile, that works great with streaming tv. We use a Roku w/youtubetv and we're using no more than 10g per day. Her plan is unlimited mine is 50g so we're never without tv. I don't know if we've just been lucky but even with a poor signal we're getting good tv, better than cable offered by the campground and we're watching our own shows, recorded and live.
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Are you using a cell phone booster?Thanks
clanthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Our 2020 Rockwood 2608BS came with a Sky4 WiFi Ranger. I haven’t really used it since the state parks where we stayed this year don’t have WiFi. I found by going to their website that it can be upgraded to become a WiFi hotspot by purchasing a Sky4 LTE upgrade for $200. You also have to select a carrier, either AT&T or Millenicom. I have an iPad where I can purchase prepaid minutes from AT&T. Our cell phones also have data, so I decided that the benefit of upgrading isn’t needed by us. We have many Blu-ray and regular DVD’s that we take with us and a small blu-ray player. This works for us.

My advice for you is to check the website for the current booster that Forest River is installing to find out what you’d need to convert it to a WiFi LTE hot spot.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #8

Look at Skyroam

I use a Skyroam SolisX (www.skyroam.com) that is a cellular 4g connection and allows up to 10 devices. This is portable and can also be used at home if your internet connection goes out. I have used it around the world as I travel overseas (not this year). You only need to pay for the service once you have purchased the unit when you want it and not at times when you dont need it. It is the size of a hockey puck.
jgilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanthon View Post
Are you using a cell phone booster?Thanks
No, but it's a lot better connection than using the Hotspot on the phone. This is a separate hotspot (has it's own phone #) I do have a Netgear wifi range extender we use sometimes. Cheap way to boost a wifi signal.

We stayed in the Grand Canyon of PA where I could only receive phone calls on wifi calling yet STILL got enough signal on the hotspot to watch tv.
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #10

The pa only working on wifi calling is by design in that area. I heard they actually used some surpluses gear to pull this off. Before this there was 0 coverage in thst area
Old 11-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilby View Post
I use a Skyroam SolisX (www.skyroam.com) that is a cellular 4g connection and allows up to 10 devices. This is portable and can also be used at home if your internet connection goes out. I have used it around the world as I travel overseas (not this year). You only need to pay for the service once you have purchased the unit when you want it and not at times when you dont need it. It is the size of a hockey puck.

How does this pull in a signal if you are at a campground with no service whatsoever? Will it work in those conditions? My husband and I want to work remotely in our travel trailer but are concerned about having internet connectivity that is sufficient.
Wendyandpeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi