Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

WiFi Ranger

Does anyone have a Rockwood with the WiFi ranger built in. Does it work well. I currently have a wee boost in my unit that does a good job. I am buying a new Rockwood with the ranger as part of package. Thanks
Augustpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #2

I have a 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite with a built in WiFi ranger. I have tried to use it numerous times on several different devices. I’ve made countless calls to their support, which are very helpful. IMO this is a useless device and certainly not worth the money. Just a cheap add on by Forest River to make the trailer look more attractive. You probably can’t get the trailer without it. I plan on removing mine for the added space. Not something I would even give away for free!
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
Always Learning

A WifiRanger is a wifi booster which is wholly different than a weBoost which is a cellular booster.

I’ve had a WiFiRanger (bought separate from my RV) and a WeBoost booster for over 5 years now.

See if this write-up helps explain the differences:
https://learntorv.com/cellular-wifi-and-networks-oh-my/
Old 01-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mine only boosts in the slower 2.4 Ghz wifi band, cannot take advantage of faster 5 Ghz band (if it is available in the campground, which usually isn't because of limited range of 5Ghz. So all my Apple crap that can use AC Wifi 5Ghz connection I have to run on the 2.4 Ghz.

The best thing about it, is you connect the ranger to whatever wifi is available, and then you can use any of your wifi devices without having to enter usernames and passwords on all of your devices, after the initial connection with the ranger.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Mine only boosts in the slower 2.4 Ghz wifi band, cannot take advantage of faster 5 Ghz band (if it is available in the campground, which usually isn't because of limited range of 5Ghz. So all my Apple crap that can use AC Wifi 5Ghz connection I have to run on the 2.4 Ghz.

The best thing about it, is you connect the ranger to whatever wifi is available, and then you can use any of your wifi devices without having to enter usernames and passwords on all of your devices, after the initial connection with the ranger.
I struggled and struggled with mine, couldn't get it to connect to WiFi at my house or to my cell phone hotspot at all, so I didn't even try at any campgrounds.

Finally decided to buckle down and work on it until I either confirmed that it was broken or got it to work. Spent several hours in the trailer, trying various things and googling my heart out.

Finally found a document that said that the WiFi Ranger wouldn't work with any WiFi network where either the SID or the password contained "special characters" - meaning that only letters and numbers were allowed. In my case, my SIDs both had spaces in them, and my passwords followed "best practices" and contained upper and lower case letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces.

I changed my WiFi to a simple SID and password, and the Ranger connected and worked. Then I changed it back and decided that the Ranger was more trouble than it was worth and haven't used it since.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I save the control panel IP address in my phone. Makes it very easy to choose and connect the wifi network you want to use. Then everything that was previously connected to Ranger automatically connects. Aside from Q's excellent advice regarding passwords, make sure you power the Ranger up and wait for several minutes to boot up, or you'll never be able to connect to it!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #7

If you are buying new 2021 they likely have the new teton wifi ranger not the sky4.

It has integrated hdtv and am/fm antenna all in one enclosure.

Seems to work pretty good. I have not added LTE modem to mine yet. The modem they use is att only i think.

I like mine.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #8

I had a Wifi Ranger on my 2018 21FBRS and have a Ranger Sky4 on my 2020 2205s. Both have worked well for us. The convenience of only needing to make one connection and not having to configure all our devices every time we get to a new campground is very welcome. It has performed well enough to stream Fire Stick programming (when the campground service is sufficiently robust), and allows us to do email, browsing, and social media posting.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post

Completely agree. It is not great for boosting WiFi but I do like having the internal network. If there is a decent WiFi signal around I use it. You will still need your WeBoost for boosting cell signals and cellular data. You can add LTE to some of the WiFiRanger equipment but my understanding is that it doesn't do much for boosting the signal.
wilsonsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #10

The "boost" is that it has an outdoor antenna up on the roof of your rig. It repeats what it hears outside to the inside.

Inside my house, my devices hear my Wi-Fi and maybe my next door neighbors.

The wifi ranger out in the driveway hears about ten of my neighbors Wi-Fi.

Plus as has been said, you don't have to change all your devices every place you go, you just use one of them to change the wifi ranger to the one you want to use and everything else is done.

Once we retire and really start using the thing more, we may get the LTE modem for it and the AT&T data plan (which is almost reasonable at 300-ish per year).
Old 01-30-2021, 11:56 PM   #11

The WiFiRanger isn't a booster. It's a simple repeater when used with an external wifi connection.

What it does is allow you to configure your devices to connect to a single wifi signal (the WiFiRanger) that has some security benefits and then configure the WiFiRanger to connect to an external wifi source like the campground. This way you don't have to keep changing all your individual devices at every stop, only the WiFiRanger needs to be updated.

You might see some "boost" like benefit only because the unit is external to the trailer, unlike your devices that are inside an aluminum box.

If you get the cellular upgrade for the Sky4 model that comes on many units, it's only 2x2 MIMO so it's only moderate in picking up signals.

A hotspot from your cell provider and even many smartphones are 4x4 MIMO and will get better and faster signals than the Sky4 cellular upgrade.

The new WiFiRanger setups are nicer units and may have improved cellular options.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustpilot View Post
Does anyone have a Rockwood with the WiFi ranger built in. Does it work well. I currently have a wee boost in my unit that does a good job. I am buying a new Rockwood with the ranger as part of package. Thanks
Mine worked perfectly first time conneting to it. It is for boosting wifi, including a cellular hotspot.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Mine worked perfectly first time conneting to it. It is for boosting wifi, including a cellular hotspot.
Agreed. I have no wifi signal at home where I park the trailer but I was able to connect the wifi ranger to my wifi and it was just as fast as in my house.
2022 F-350 Lariat SCSB 7.3 Godzilla
old442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #14

I never had success with it. It kept dropping the connection --even on the driveway with my home wifi. Then the base cracked from the roof up and caused a leak. Needless to say unit is gone and roof patched to cover any holes. Making my phone a hotspot works better as far as Im concerned.
tmkwasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #15

Mine works well if the campsite has decent wifi. The interface is pretty garbage and it would be easier if they had an app to setup instead of just using the browser.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
If you are buying new 2021 they likely have the new teton wifi ranger not the sky4.

It has integrated hdtv and am/fm antenna all in one enclosure.

Seems to work pretty good. I have not added LTE modem to mine yet. The modem they use is att only i think.

I like mine.
Hi there. We just picked up our 2021 Ultra Lite 2613 BS yesterday. We have zero TV signal (can't find any channels via antennae) and were able only briefly able to connect to the Teton ranger. Trying to get to the Admin page via the IP address has been unsuccessful.

Is there a secret to unlocking these given if they are integrated?

Thank you!
ljensenwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Unfamiliar with Teton Ranger, must be new. Mine had an IP address on sticker below switch. Must be entered exactly as show to access it.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #18

...update - just figured out the TV issue. Teeny tiny little button in the outlet/cable connect. Duh.
Still can't connect to the IP address for our Teton wifi ranger (connected to internet via phone hot spot)
ljensenwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

try disconnecting your phone from internet and connect direct to IP. Don't forget it takes SEVERAL MINUTES after switching on device to find it, has to boot up.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljensenwa View Post
Hi there. We just picked up our 2021 Ultra Lite 2613 BS yesterday. We have zero TV signal (can't find any channels via antennae) and were able only briefly able to connect to the Teton ranger. Trying to get to the Admin page via the IP address has been unsuccessful.

Is there a secret to unlocking these given if they are integrated?

Thank you!
Were you able to scan the QR code?

If not you can connect something to it via wifi and point a browser to:

http://10.153.11.1:8080

I assume they are all the same.

As for the tv, make sure the green light on the wall plate is on (dc power to the preamp) and the switch button is on the tv position (can't remember if that is in or out). And make sure the tv menu is set to antenna and do a channel scan. I seem to remember getting the tv to do an over the air antenna scan wasn't easy to figure out, it had weird menus.

Tags
wifi