Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 11:11 PM   #1

Wifiranger

I understand the wifi ranger in my 2020 rockwood travel trailer is for my wifi, but can I use it somehow to boost my cell signal in a campground instead of buying a cell booster that are expensive.
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims View Post
I understand the wifi ranger in my 2020 rockwood travel trailer is for my wifi, but can I use it somehow to boost my cell signal in a campground instead of buying a cell booster that are expensive.
Short answer is no.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims View Post
No, but kinda....

A lot of smart phones (my iPhone) will operate over wifi for voice, data and text. I work offshore and use my cell phone in airplane mode, with only a wifi connection.

Your particular phone may or may not have this feature. Call your provider and see if this is an option for you.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Most wifirangers in the FR line from 2020 are a Sky 4 unit. These can be upgraded to take in cellular signals rather than just wifi from campgrounds, etc. You need to buy Wifiranger's "LTE upgrade" kit plus a data plan that is supported. Then you continue to connect the wifiranger's wifi signal you have been. It's source is just changed from other wifi to celluar

it is NOT a booster, just enables cellular connection but being outside the aluminum skinned trailer and at a higher elevation, it may get more signal than your phone.

But (there is always one of these right?), the wifiranger uses a "2x2MIMO" antenna where as most smart phones and many hotposts use "4x4MIMO" so the phone/hotspot already has more "signal gathering ability" so the roof mount benefits of the LTE upgraded wifirange is not always worth it.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi