Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
Ski

WiFiRanger customer service

I have a Rockwood 5th wheel with the Sky 4 wifi booster. This model that FR puts on has two flexible rubber antennas on top of the unit on the roof. With a 13 ft height it is exposed to a lot of low hanging branches. They knew that this was a poor design because they changed the design to a hard plastic dome to protect the antennas on the current production that FR uses. Last week when I brought my RV home to winterize it I noticed that one of the rubber antenna covers was missing. I tried to call WiFi Ranger 20 times but I guess they don't answer their phone so I emailed customer service, expecting them to send me a replacement at a reasonable price. They quickly answered back that the only thing that would do was to sell me a whole new top unit with a cover, antennas and electronics for $125. I again t explained I only wanted a $2 snap on rubber boot, not a whole new unit. Sorry we won't help you was the reply. What can one do when the manufacturer won't help it's customers?
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #2

I had a similar issue. I have the TV antenna/Wifi ranger combo. I hit a tree branch and broke the base and the case around it. They sell the case (tower) online, but not the base. They would not sell me the base and told me I had to go to a retailer. I used epoxy instead.

You might try going to a local radio/ham shop with the other antenna to see if it is a standard connection that you could order elsewhere. It helps that you have the other one for comparison. If you're lucky it's the same antenna they have on residential wifi routers like linksys, netgear, etc., and those are commonly available.
AlanMoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
D W

More often than not these electronic devices are mass produced in factories in China. From what I've seen of the business model from China, they do not provision spare parts. They are more geared for entire end item replacement rather than stock repair parts.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #4

I have a Rockwood 2606ws that comes with a WiFi Ranger signal booster. I have had problems connecting when away from home (I can get it to work in my driveway but when I am away I keep getting a server not responding message)

I called and left three messages that were never returned. I then sent an email explaining the problem and only received a response that told me to follow the written directions. When I emailed back that I did follow the directions and that it still didn’t work, I received another email telling me again to follow the written directions.

I emailed Forest River to tell them about the poor customer service from WiFi Ranger. I promptly received a reply from FR that they had contacted WiFi Ranger and that someone would contact me shortly. That was 21 days ago and I still have heard nothing.

Not just poor customer service. NO customer service. Very disappointed.
Bayviewrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayviewrr View Post
I have a Rockwood 2606ws that comes with a WiFi Ranger signal booster. I have had problems connecting when away from home (I can get it to work in my driveway but when I am away I keep getting a server not responding message)

I called and left three messages that were never returned. I then sent an email explaining the problem and only received a response that told me to follow the written directions. When I emailed back that I did follow the directions and that it still didn’t work, I received another email telling me again to follow the written directions.

I emailed Forest River to tell them about the poor customer service from WiFi Ranger. I promptly received a reply from FR that they had contacted WiFi Ranger and that someone would contact me shortly. That was 21 days ago and I still have heard nothing.

Not just poor customer service. NO customer service. Very disappointed.
I had some bad service, NO service, with them a few years back. The only good part of the experience was doing an Amazon return with one day to spare. I see they haven’t changed.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Ski

Made in the US

WiFi Ranger has evidently been bought out by Winnegard and they probably don't care about their own reputation any longer. They used to say that their products were assembled in the US. That may no longer be true and that may be why they don't bother to carry repair parts.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #7

I also had an issue with the WiFi Ranger. It could not hold a signal. At first I thought it was the campground. However, even on my driveway (less that a car length from the house wifi booster)it was unable to hold the signal. After getting no where with CW and WiFi Ranger I figured screw it and just left it alone.
Then to top it off, the plastic base cracked and allowed water(rain) leakage into trailer ( understand it is an install issue). We were refused warranty coverage and was told I hit something. If that was the case, this imaginary something would have taken out the AC unit, tv antenna and fridge vent cover (not even a rub mark on roof). Luckily we caught before it was a major issue.
CW wanted to replace whole unit, on my dime of course.
My answer to them: remove it and seal up the holes. Problem solved
tmkwasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #8

Try these guys as a possible source for the rubber duckie antenna you want to replace:
https://www.mobilemusthave.com/
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMoor View Post
I had a similar issue. I have the TV antenna/Wifi ranger combo. I hit a tree branch and broke the base and the case around it. They sell the case (tower) online, but not the base. They would not sell me the base and told me I had to go to a retailer. I used epoxy instead.
I had a similar 'close encounter' with a branch Monday leaving Little Manatee River State Park and did not discover that I'd popped my Ranger rather cleanly (I hope) right off the roof of my Rockwood 5th Wheel Ultralight.

I've reached out to the State Park to see if they can find it (Ranger to look tomorrow) as well as emailed WiFiRanger Support to see about getting a replacement.

I'm not a big fan of the WiFi feature as I bring a Starlink dish with me but I do like the HDTV antenna feature if I feel like seeing what's on the tube old school.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	275356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpeg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	275357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.jpeg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	275358  
KerneySA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
Part-Time Campground Host

Another no WiFiRanger fan.
I never used it (we have a hotspot with us).
I say uninstall it from the roof, cap the wires, fill the hole, and cover it with Enternabond.
Problem solved!
Just my 2 cents.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, service, wifi