Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Will roof caulk ruin cover?

I hope someone can help me out here. I have a new 2018 Rockwood MiniLite 1905. I'll be storing it at our home under trees (no other place to put it) and I'm concerned that falling leaves will stain and ruin the roof. They're already leaving their mark. I'm considering a cover, probably the GoldLine, but I'm afraid the sticky caulk around all the roof fixtures (A/C, vents, antenna, etc.) will stick to the cover, especially if it snows and presses the cover down. Already some leaves have stuck to it and don't want to come off. Has anyone had experience covering a TT that has this sticky caulk on the roof? I don't want to ruin the cover or mess up the caulk. Don't know what to do.
RoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

I wonder if the caulk is only stick after the sun has been shining on it for a while. I have never heard of anyone having their cover stick to the caulk on the roof. If the caulk was only a few weeks old maybe it would stick on a warm sunny day.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #3

When we did the delivery inspection the tech was explaining to me what to periodically inspect on the roof and said that caulk should always be slightly soft and kind of sticky. If it starts getting hard or brittle it's time to re-caulk.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #4

Soft, yes. If it remained sticky the roof would look horrible from all of the debris sticking to the caulk. When I have applied Dicor Lap Sealant, on my roof, it is never sticky to the touch the next time I am on the roof (2-4 weeks later). I think the tech mistakenly threw in the word "sticky".
I recently replaced some of the caulk on my roof. It was OEM, 3 years old. It was still soft but had started to develop cracks. Even with a new trailer I would advise doing a thorough inspection of all roof sealant. Our dealer had to install extra screws, on the trim piece where the front cap meets the roof, and then caulk over it. This was when the trailer was only 2 months old.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Dicor will skin over within 24 hours. If you put pressure on it and do something that pulls or drags the surface you will rupture the skin. I think it takes 48 hours before this kind of damage will not happen. So unless your unit was built yesterday you will not have any problem.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

BTW, the best thing to do is put Eternabond on all the seams. It sticks as soon as you apply it and will last at least 10 years without cracking or shrinking. You can scrub the roof immediately after application and never bother it. I applied a piece on my roof and then scrubbed the whole roof the next day.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. I think soft and tacky best describes it, not necessarily sticky. What has me concerned about putting a cover over the TT for the winter is 1) leaves that a falling now and getting wet have stuck to the caulk and are difficult to remove and 2) we recently took a trip from VA to Oregon and while up on the roof in Oregon I found a missing tape measure that I was using on the roof before we left for the trip! It was stuck to some of the caulk for the entire trip! So you can understand my apprehension about putting an expensive cover over it. I agree that it shouldn't still be tacky enough for things to stick to it but it appears otherwise.

Tags
caulk, cover, roo, roof