Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #1

Windjammer 2102W

Crossposted and in search of input:

My wife and I treated ourselves to a truck/tt combo for our 50th birthday year. She decided on a budget and we opted for used truck and used tt. 2007 F150 SCREW F4X and a 2010 2102w Windjammer.

Found the very nice low mileage one-owner F4X and then found out about the spark plug issues they had, ending with that year. It made itself known when we picked up the TT a state away with the first stretch of miles up and over a 11k elevation mountain. (Turns out the plugs had already been swapped out and replaced with good ones, but whomever did it failed to torque them down and OMG the misfires and frayed nerves on the way home)

The Windjammer, the 2010w, was exactly the model we had been searching for since looking one over that was in fabulous shape but out of our budget. The one we found a state away needs a bit of TLC, but that layout is AWESOME for a couple with no kids. Oh, and icing on top of the TT cake: the trailer came with 2 panels of solar wired and hooked up.

We had our wish lists.

Mine:
- King Bed (I am 6'5)
- Bathroom, not adjacent to the bedroom and with a tall enough shower
- High Ceilings. Speakers, I can dodge. (note the running theme)
- Relatively lightweight and short

Hers:

- Bedroom in rear, away from the road when in a back-in space

I wonder why they stopped making this model as an alternate to the overly long, heavy, multi-bunk slew out there. Bathroom is huge, central kitchen, large bed. What's not to like?

Well, the list of TLC things to address (Most crucial in bold):
- Awning needs replaced. Rough shape at the end.
- TV reconnect. Dealer claimed the TV (and microwave) were not used by the previous owner so they could have more storage space (?), so they were not in their spots. I have to get in and look over and reconnect the hookups.
- Slide adjustment. Currently has a slight downward lean when extended
- Slide passenger side needs modified so it doesn't sag when retracted. Hoping to find a place to get parts to replicate the track on the passenger side as it is on the drivers side. This will require modifying the fold down dinette seat but I am certain I can come up with an alternative to the fold down rear seat.
- Tires. 2 out of 4 will not see another season.
- Black tank drain shroud is hanging from only one side of it's mounting points. Wife said it was fine when we picked up the trailer, but the one side's screws pulled out as well as the strap across the underbelly plastic in that and another spot
- Screw channel moulding needs replaced in a couple spots. This may be what caused the unceasing whistle as we towed her home.
- Under-couch drawer slide replacements. Two out of 3 drawer roller slides have town out screws and just hang now.
- Electric hitch jack needs something to plug up the top hole
- Slide motor. I am going to assume it is the original early model that light reading has shown to be inadequate. That and for the life of me I cannot figure out where one could comfortably extend and retract the slide from.
- Mattress, because while my wife works in the hospitality field, she thinks "ick"

The more I think about it, the more I wish we had purchased the "out of budget" one and saved all the work and expense.

The old 2102W threads have long ago become unable to be necro'd so I am starting this one up. Also will be curious to see how the 2102Ws of others are holding up after a few years since the design was discontinued.

Hoping folks here could help me track down parts/replacement for the slide's wall rail/wheel bearing support system. Putting a second rail on the passenger side is going to happen without question. I do fear that if I go through Forest River/Rockwood I will pay through the nose for something less than heavy duty and reliable.
Fogtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #2

Still working on the slide issues. Would love to know what other 2010 2102W owners have done to adjust their slides.

Downloaded the AccuSlide manual, but the design is apparently different on the 2010 Windjammer, with the adjustment points on the side brackets.
Fogtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

Frogtripper,

Congrats on your new ( to you ) truck & Windjammer. Sounds like you have the issue with the truck sorted out. Sorry, I have no solutions to offer for your slide issues. I expect you'll get it figured out. I was unfamiliar with that Windjammer, so I looked it up. Very similar to the Jayco X213 we owned before we got our Windjammer. I like your floorplan better than the Jayco. It was just the DW & myself. We thought the Jayco was perfect for just the two of us. But after a trip where we got stuck inside for 3 straight days ( constant heavy rain ), we decided it was too small. Like you, I really liked the king bed. But making it up, with no walk around, was no fun.

Hope you get it straight quickly & happy camping,
Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, windjammer