Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

Windjammer — Issues, Repairs & Hacks

Hi all! I read through the other WJ thread but, since it was so old, I couldn’t comment or reply to any of the posts so I figured why not start a new one

I bought a 2015 Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg in March and am very happy with the purchase thus far. There were a handful of fixes needed right away but nothing too major. I’m curious to hear about what things other WJ owners have had to fix or replace and hopefully get some answers on a few of the items remaining on my To-Do list.

Looking forward to hearing about all your experiences with this awesome (retired) model!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3ED5242-18FF-4556-95E8-4D95F377E035.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	228821  
Windjammin Wingsuit Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #2

Really good looking camper, Congratulations and Welcome from New 3
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #3

New Jersey
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #4

Wind jammer

Congratulations. We have a Flagstaff 27VSL-Emerald Edition. Our's is a 2016 and they dropped the Wind Jammer logo. We have pulled it over 12K miles towing it across the country. Our's has the "His and Her's" sinks in the front making the trailer nose heavy. I moved up in truck size to better handle the 1100 lb. tongue weight. It tows great. My only complaint is there is no way to put a second battery on the nose due to the V-front. The one thing I would caution you on is jacking up the trailer. W/ the rubber axel hubs, there are no leaf springs and not a good place to put a bottle jack underneath the frame. I carry an Anderson drive on jack that solves the problem of flats and bearing service w/o having to put a jack under it. The square tube braces under the frame are very thin and easily bent. Where they put the interior water filter is hard to get to every year to 1 st. winterize and then replace it in the spring. The trick is to push up on it when turning. Remount after putting some food grade lube on rubber seal and treads. Some people just remove the mount and move it outside. We are looking for a 5 th wheel to replace it, but have not found anything we like that much better.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

We have a 2017 Windjammer 3006WK. As mentioned above, I did remove the factory water filter, and just use a blue inline filter. Works fine for us.

I've had a few small issues, but none that I needed to take to dealer for a warranty repair. The biggest, and most concerning issue was that the axle brackets started pulling away from the frame. A gap opened up between the axle brackets and the frame. I put the trailer up on jack stands, loosened the bolts, and jacked the axles back up tight against the frame. I then re-torqued the mounting bolts. That was about 1.5 years ago, and they have stayed in place. I assume that the bolts weren't torqued correctly at the factory.

There are other threads on this issue. Overall, it has been a great trailer.

Here is my thread, with pics, about this:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...re-168935.html
Old 05-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #6

Nice looking rig. We have the Flagstaff V-lite. To the other poster about batteries, I did manage to put dual batteries on mine, don’t have any good closeup pictures. Found a double wide plastic battery box. It can be done.

Fixing to replace the outside shower assembly on mine as it is leaking, other than that it is fantastic other than sitting in the driveway too much.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #7

Might have to zoom in to see it. Got two Group 24s, wanted 27s but couldn’t find a box for those.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03E5189B-3200-4F2F-92CB-5C991EE94E09.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	228845  
Old 05-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

Just bought a 2017 windjammer 3008 in April. Haven't been anywhere and we're still personalizing it. Added Solid Steps last weekend. That was interesting. We had a class A so there's a garage full of stuff we need to cull through. Disappointed there isn't more outside storage but we'll manage.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

Smile

I have VS2715 Rockwood 2018. Dealer installed two 6 volt in front of the "V". Other than a water heater control board going bad, no major problems with my rig. I tow with 2018 F150 3.6 Screw ecoboost and love the handling. Enjoy your travels.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
MCTroy

Welcome from Ohio. People get tired of me taking about how much love our WJ. We have done some maintenance on the axles, wheels etc.. we also replaced the bigger awning. Seems out it came with one that was too big and it looked like a sail. We also added tiles in the kitchen and bathroom for some color. We added a bar at the end of the kitchen island. This holds the coffee pot and glasses, along with essential beverages! Enjoy your new trailer and say hi if you see us around. Our Ohio license plate is MC JMMR.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #11

We have a Windjammer 3008, vintage 2013 and really love it. Had problems with the curtains since they are the string type and the strings break. Went to Menards for the tall windows (fit without cutting) and Home Depot for all the custom windows. Have only the kitchen and small bedroom windows (4 total) to go. We used cordless top down/bottom up shades for most of the windows (one was just bottom up) and also put a blackout shade in the big bedroom window. They have all worked great. We also found last year (6th season) that the drawers were getting a little shaky, so I took them out and re-suported and re-glued all the slider support boards. As previous poster said, watch out for jacking because you can bend the axels. I use a bottle jack on a couple of 2x6 boards between the wheels on the bracket between the wheels. Our TT had a recall for being too close to the axels and they installed a box to raise it up. Don't know if yours has that or not. We, too were concerned about the seeming lack of storage, but, found that I didn't need to carry nearly the stuff we had in the old trailer. In fact, we now have extra space and a lot less "junk" to load and unload. If you have the frameless windows, be careful about opening them at the beginning of the year. I put silicone (pure) on the rubber seals and since we have indoor storage, just crack them slightly to keep them from sticking. It has worked great so far. Watch out for turning corners, get good tires (like Endurance) and check your roof seals. I had to reseal the dome above the shower after 5 seasons because the caulk was just starting to let in the moisture. I used Eternabond and it has worked well. Faucets, if you still have original ones: once about every two years, I pull the valves and put plumber's grease on them. Ours come off by unscrewing the handles and they just pull out. I do this before sanitizing so there is no water in the lines. Of course, you need to do the bearings and check the brakes, etc. We did have to replace the AC on the 5th season, but, overall it has been a super trailer and just right for our family. Oh, one other thing. If yours has slide outs all on one side like ours, you need to set it up and put out the slides and level it. Then bring in the slides and mark the level difference so you can then set it up "off level" the right amount so when the slides are extended the trailer levels out. Once you do it one time and noted the difference, it is easy to set up after that. For us, we like it so much, this one could just be the last trailer we ever get. Hope you enjoy yours as much.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #12

Battery

Currently using 1 group 31 battery. I will have to look at it again to see if the double wide battery box would work w/ 2-group 24's w/o getting in the way of the Equal-i-zer hitch mounts. Thanks, I was trying to fit a battery box on each side of the A-frame and there was not enough room. I'll have to look and see if 2-6 volts will fit in the same box.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #13

Hi! We own a 2014 model and the biggest problem is rust on the frame! The underneath is completely covered by the tarp so, it's a big concern as we can sand and repaint only where visible. Other than that, great trailer. Good luck with yours!
Old 05-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Welcome from Ohio. People get tired of me taking about how much love our WJ. We have done some maintenance on the axles, wheels etc.. we also replaced the bigger awning. Seems out it came with one that was too big and it looked like a sail. We also added tiles in the kitchen and bathroom for some color. We added a bar at the end of the kitchen island. This holds the coffee pot and glasses, along with essential beverages! Enjoy your new trailer and say hi if you see us around. Our Ohio license plate is MC JMMR.
Did you take out the existing tile that came with your WJ? My fiancé wants to put peal and stick tile in the kitchen and I told her she can’t remove the real tile to do so, mostly because I’m afraid of what might or might not be behind it.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin Wingsuit Pilot View Post
Hi all! I read through the other WJ thread but, since it was so old, I couldn’t comment or reply to any of the posts so I figured why not start a new one

I bought a 2015 Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg in March and am very happy with the purchase thus far. There were a handful of fixes needed right away but nothing too major. I’m curious to hear about what things other WJ owners have had to fix or replace and hopefully get some answers on a few of the items remaining on my To-Do list.

Looking forward to hearing about all your experiences with this awesome (retired) model!
I have the same model, but a 2016. I removed the factory water filter because of the cost of replacement filters. Have you figured out where the water heater by-pass valves are yet?
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
I have the same model, but a 2016. I removed the factory water filter because of the cost of replacement filters. Have you figured out where the water heater by-pass valves are yet?
Yup, I found it. I’ve also found all the other stuff hidden under the tv, behind the cabinet doors with hinges on both sides. I don’t know why they did that instead of just make it nice like the others. I actually just fixed them last weekend. You can’t even tell
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5583EB3D-34E7-4503-A0CC-8BD2B35C6029.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	228915  

Old 05-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #17
MCTroy

Quote:
Did you take out the existing tile that came with your WJ? My fiancé wants to put peal and stick tile in the kitchen and I told her she can’t remove the real tile to do so, mostly because I’m afraid of what might or might not be behind it.
We did not have tile in the kitchen or bathroom. Our model has the front bedroom and big closet. So the kitchen is mid cabin. Here is a picture of the finished wall. We used vinyl tiles from Home Depot and used liquid nails glue. They have stayed up there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171001_214659.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	228934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_214752.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	228935  
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Yup, I found it. I’ve also found all the other stuff hidden under the tv, behind the cabinet doors with hinges on both sides. I don’t know why they did that instead of just make it nice like the others. I actually just fixed them last weekend. You can’t even tell
Are you pulling the drawers to get at the winterizing valves? I ended up cutting out a panel in the back of the cabinet under the sink, where the entry door is, to access the valves without pulling a drawer. Now I gotta find a cabinet door to match.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
We did not have tile in the kitchen or bathroom. Our model has the front bedroom and big closet. So the kitchen is mid cabin. Here is a picture of the finished wall. We used vinyl tiles from Home Depot and used liquid nails glue. They have stayed up there.
Your vinyl tiles look great! Mine has a similar layout but came with factory tile, which is only three rows of ~1” tile, so you’re not really missing out on anything there.

Is yours a Diamond Edition (tan exterior)? I seem to recall kitchen tile being included in that package.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
Are you pulling the drawers to get at the winterizing valves? I ended up cutting out a panel in the back of the cabinet under the sink, where the entry door is, to access the valves without pulling a drawer. Now I gotta find a cabinet door to match.
Yes, I was pulling drawers to access the winterizing valves. Your way of getting at them sounds much easier. Thankfully, I already have a cabinet door on the entry door side and am going to see if there is a way for me to cut away an access door within that space to access. That way I won’t need to worry about making or matching a cabinet door that is highly visible.

Tags
repair, repairs, windjammer