Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Windjammer opinion

My wife and I have grown up around camping and when my first son was born, we bought a 12 foot Jayco tent trailer. That was 5 years ago. We try to use it every weekend and love it.
Now that my second son is here, we would like to drive west to BC (I'm in Ontario). We would like a larger trailer with a bathroom. We are really interested in the Windjammer 3006WK. It has lots of room and storage, which my DW loves, and lots of features which I love, like a black tank flush, power awning, power jacks everywhere, heated under belly, outside kitchen, etc. I would be towing it with a 2002 Yukon Denali XL. So I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has this trailer model and what they thought about it. Is it good quality? Me being a newbie to a full size trailer, I'm curious if anybody had any tips, tricks, additional info or questions I should be asking?

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Steve
REDHONDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

Read up on Windjammers,V-Lites,Rockwoods,Flagstaffs,all built under the same roof. Decals and colors ars about the only diff. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

We have a 2012 Windjammer 3008W. Different floor plan than what you are looking at but as for the quality of the trailer, ease of towing; we love ours. We researched for months and looked at just about everything out there in the 26 foot to 30 foot range and once we saw the Rockwood Windjammer--sold. Let us know how your search goes.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

I just bought a 2012 WJ 3006w for my family of five. We love it. Have not camped with it yet but will be in two weeks. I was looking a some different trailer before looking at a Rockwood. Let me tell you after looking a five different brands we stepped into the 3006w and fell in love. Things that are options on the others are standard on a Rockwood. I think for the price range it is a far superior trailer. My previous TT was a Skyline Aljo triple bunk.
Camping is my hobby
doosterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

We are waiting on ours. But, just like dooster said...we walked into one on the lot and BAM! We had to have it.
One of their drivers had towed a couple of Windjammers and really liked the way they towed.
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
I just tow the TT for DW!

Don't have the floorplan you are looking at, but we love our Windjammer. We looked at several different manufacturers, models, and floorplans too, visited dealerships, went to rv shows, then came across the Windjammer online while shopping. Once I showed the DW the Windjammer and floorplan we wanted, she said, "That's the one!" Once we went to a dealer and saw them in person, we were even more impressed. This is our 2nd season with ours, and we couldn't be happier. We moved up from a 22ft Keystone Outback.

As far as tips, make sure you have enough tow vehicle to handle the weight/tongue weight, ie payload capacity. Do your research on your tow vehicle's capabilities, invest in a good WDH, don't judge anything by the dry weight of the trailer, use the GVWR, and if the dealer tells you can tow it, don't believe him. Make sure YOU know beforehand that you can safely tow it. I don't know anything about your Yukon's towing capacity, payload capacity, or GCWR so can't advise there. The hitch weight on the 3006WK is going to be well over 1k lbs, and when loaded, the trailer is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 8k lbs. Best of luck and be sure to let us know when you make the purchase. BTW, we love pics around here too!!

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Here is what I found on your vehicle for towing:
A 5.3 V8 is standard on Yukon XL and optional on Yukon. Both Denalis and the Yukon XL 2500 come with a 6.0-liter V8. An 8.1-liter V8 is optional for the Yukon XL 2500. All have an automatic transmission with GM's Tow/Haul mode; it gets revisions for 2002 designed to improve durability. Maximum towing capacity is 8100 lb on Yukon, 12,000 on Yukon XL 2500.

Here are the rating on the Windjammer:

Dry Hitch Weight 877 lb. (398 kg )
Dry Ship Weight 6,948 lb. (3,152 kg )
GVWR 8,550 lb. (3,878 kg )
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1,602 lb. (727 kg )
Exterior Length 34 ft. 5 in. (10.5 m)
Exterior Height 10 ft. 0 in. (3.0 m)
Exterior Width 96 in. (2.4 m)
Fresh Water Capacity 43 gal. (163 L)
Gray Water Capacity 38 gal. (144 L)
Black Water Capacity 38 gal. (144 L)
Awning Size 20 ft. (6.1 m)

If you have the Yukon XL 2500 it looks like you would be okay. I have the V-Lite 30WTBS which has the quad bunks and a little less hitch weight than yours due to no outside front kitchen. We needed the extra bed more than the kitchen and less weight was a bonus for us.

YOu will not be disappointed with the Windjammer. I've done a ton of research on the TT with bunks as others on here have already said and the Windjammer/V-Lites are top notch and there is nothing out there better. The only other TT that we debated was the Rockwood 8311SS but the master bedroom in the back on the V-Lite sold us! Tons of room.

Do your research and you will come back to the Windjammer/V-Lite IMHO. (In my humble opinion). If you have more precise questions let me know. I visited the factory where these trailers are made to watch the building process. It was very impressive. Good luck and enjoy the buying process.

Final words: Please take Kamp K's advise and make sure your tow vehicle will take the weight of your trailer okay. Look in your owners manuel and check what the WDH MAX hitch weight is. Yours will be well over 900 and close to 1000lbs once loaded with battery, propane, etc...

If it looks like your going to be too close on the hitch weight another option could be the Windjammer 3006W which takes away the outside kitchen and adds another bunk bed and more storage. Which is the one I have in its twin sister the Flagstaff V-Lite.

Sorry for going so long.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote