Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

windjammer vs V-lite

The wife and I are in the market for a new (or slightly used) travel trailer and really like the layout of the windjammer 3008. While doing some more research it seems that the V-lite series floor plans and weight specs mirror the windjammer, and there is a dealer for the V-lite near me. Are there any significant differences in quality between the two? It seems that the asking price on the V-lite is about $5k less than the windjammer
jaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
NELA

I've read that they come down the assembly line side by side...same plant.

Having said that, DH and I owned the 2014 30WIKSS for 8 months last year...traded it in on a 5er ONLY because of physical injury issues and the WDH, etc.

There was NOTHING I didn't like about our V-Lite. We had the front bathroom floor plan. That "his and her" bathroom was FANTASTIC!

IMO it was the perfect floor plan for a couple. Yes, you had to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom, but it was "just us" camping. It was also nice that there were two doors, one into the main living area and one into the bedroom.

We named her "Francis" because she was so fancy....she had BLING for sure! Whoever got her got a barely used beauty.

P.S. I was teary eyed when we traded her in.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya View Post
The wife and I are in the market for a new (or slightly used) travel trailer and really like the layout of the windjammer 3008. While doing some more research it seems that the V-lite series floor plans and weight specs mirror the windjammer, and there is a dealer for the V-lite near me. Are there any significant differences in quality between the two? It seems that the asking price on the V-lite is about $5k less than the windjammer
The Windjammer and the V-Lite are made in the same plant, have the same floor plans, and are virtually identical. Graphics and interior color schemes are the only difference between the two units, and it simply becomes a matter of personal preference.

We have a Windjammer 3008 and absolutely love it.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. Wonder why it seems the v-lite is less expensive? We are looking at the front kitchen model. Dealer about an hour away has one 2013, one 2014, and one 2015 in stock, all new. Gonna have to take a drive.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

I'm waiting for delivery of a V-lite, as mentioned before they are made together so my choice was made by dealer preference. Had the dealership I chose sold Windjammers I would be waiting for my new 3029, but they have V-kites so it's a 30WRLIKS. I'm also going past a lot of dealerships to get it. One thing you will see on here is folks saying that the relationship with the dealer is very important, maybe more than a small price difference. Talk to them both, you will probably get close to the same bottom price offered then go with the one you wish to deal with regularly, there will be issues that need fixed and warranties to honor, that is how my choice was made. Good luck!
1974 Wife, hottie model with all the options
2013 German Wirehaired Pointer (Holmes)
2013 Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (Watson)
army_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #6

Difference between the Windjammer and V Lite

The Rockwood Windjammer and Flagstaff V Lite are "sister" trailers. In other words, they are the same trailer, built with the same materials on the same production line by the same workers. The difference is the name, the decals, the fabric patterns and some of the hardware.

The usual differences are in the options on the unit. Each model has a number of options or option packages available for the same model. There is the standard convenience options...I know, "standard"/"options" = oxymoron...but that is basically the standard model. Then there are diamond packages and emerald packages that change windows to frame less windows, upgrades in hardware, fabrics, laminate counter tops to Corian, and the color of the outside of the trailer (white vs tan). Also, there are options in some of the furniture (small swivel rockers standard vs leather recliners), optional heater (electric fireplace), 15,000 BTU air conditioner (I think it is also a 50 amp electrical service rather than standard 30 amp service) rather than the standard 13,500 BTU air conditioner. Also, some models have standard dinette booths while others have free standing table and chairs, and often those units with the free standing table and chairs also have "atrium" windows in the super slide (tall narrow windows in the slide). There are also packages that include slide toppers (awnings) and a cover to protect the awning when it is closed (on the diamond and emerald packages I think). Also, dealers can carry almost identical units with the only difference being the chairs, or the heater etc. Also, there are differences in the decorations, cherry wood vs hickory (I think) vs mixed woods (light and dark wood combinations) and the patterns of the fabrics, even in the same option level and model .... The difference in price likely reflects a difference in options included on the units.

Look at the units you are considering and see what their options are and which you prefer. The closer dealer may be a better choice due to location, however, it is important to find out the customer service reputation of whatever dealers you are considering. A posting with your approximate location and the names of the dealers you are considering might turn up other Forum members who have had dealings with one or both of those dealerships.

And finally, we have a 2012 V Lite 30WFKSS, the Flagstaff sister trailer to the Windjammer 3008. We LOVE it!!!! It is a GREAT floor plan, and that front kitchen is the BEST!!! I thought I would not like the walk through bathroom, but it is also...the BEST ...a nice large room (full width of the trailer) for dressing and freshening up, and accessible through the front door for rest stops while traveling as well, plenty of room in the bedroom, with privacy because the bathroom is between the "living area" and bedroom. Our unit has just the standard options, which suits us perfectly. There are maybe three options that we would like to have had, but we are more than satisfied with what we have. We started looking in Dec. 2011, thinking it would give us plenty of time to shop around before spring. We were going to enjoy the search as well as hoping to find a unit we both liked. Didn't happen than way. On our first day of the search, at the second dealer, DH decided he wanted to look at the V Lites because he had liked what he had read about them the night before....we walked through the 30WFKSS and I literally fell in LOVE with the layout and everything about it. (I am not much of a "camper" and wasn't even sure I wanted a trailer, especially such a LONG trailer!) We tried looking at a few other units, including two other "great for couples" V Lites, but kept going back to the 30WFKSS. We sat in it alone for awhile, walked through it as if using it, looked it over inside and out....and bought it. Our maiden voyage was a nine and a half week trip, and we couldn't have been happier with the V Lite. (This is MY idea of camping!) We later took two teenage grandsons with us for a month in Texas...and the floor plan proved to be excellent for company as well!

We did get a better price than we thought we would as we bought off season...winter in the midwest...and rather than ordering the trailer with any preferred options, we bought one which the dealer had on his lot.

Good luck, and let us all know how your search progresses

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
Happy owner SOB

Do a search on windjammer cracks, it appears they still have an issue.

Happy owner of SOB!!!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #8

We have a 2009 v lite 30wrls, rear living room big picture window in the back and we love it. When it rains we turn our recliners around and watch it rain. With the slides out its almost 12 ft wide making for a lot of space.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #9

The dealership has a new 2013 v-lite 30 wfkss. I don't think it's very highly optioned. Their advertised price is $26,000. What do you guys think would be a fair price to pay for something like that?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	61992   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-31-11 144.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	61993  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

The $26,000 price seems pretty good...we've seen most at quite a bit more, and a few at a little less...depending on options and if it is new....while it may be new, 2015s are being sold now, so the dealer MIGHT come down a bit more....however, you really need to look the unit over and see how it is optioned and how well all its systems function. If it has been sitting on the dealer's lot since fall of 2012, when the 2013s began to hit the dealerships, I wonder if there could be any problems from just sitting in the open and not being used for all that time. I don't know if that is a possibility, maybe some of the more knowledgeable campers would know. Ours is a 2012, and a lot of options have been added as standard since we bought...LED lighting, electric tongue jack etc...and those items would have increased the price of the unit...however, if sitting unused for two years could cause any kind of corrosion or malfunctioning of the systems, that should be taken into account. Plus, it is really important to visually check the fiberglass and gel coating for any damage or spider cracks, check the axle height on the slide side...there should be at least a two inch space between the top of the tire and the wheel well....that is something to keep an eye on over a period of time as the double slides on that side have caused the need to add spacers in certain year models...when new, it is a warranty claim and would cost nothing to repair. Once you are sure the unit is in good shape and are comfortable with the fit and finish, then you can see if there is any wiggle room in the price. (have the dealer open and close slides etc.) The price is a bit less than a newer unit would cost, but is apparently still "brand new", so check around and compare prices for yourself. Also, if you decide on buying it, you probably would want to purchase Forest Rivers second year warranty...a lot of dealers "forget" to offer the second year warranty and some even sell more expensive additional warranties instead, so be informed when you go in....have you checked into the dealership's reputation? Be sure to have that information as well. Good luck!

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #12

Go on line see what nada says its worth then look up what others are going for on line. Then offer them a price $ 2000 lower than the lowest price you found its fall and they will be willing to negotiate It is a 2 yr old unit they want it off their lot. Bought mine last fall nada said it was worth 18000 but they had already marked it down to push it at 14000 I got them to go for 12000. Where you are in the US also plays into the price warmer states they won't give as easy as up north until later in the fall.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

We have the diamond package v lite with the front kitchen. LOVE IT! It's nicer than our house. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is the lack of outside storage. Under bed is all that's left because of the layout. Since we permanent camp most of the time and don't have to store a lot we deal with it. So worth it for all of the inside room...
Good luck and have fun with whichever one you pick!!!
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
Pug Dads

We also had a 3008w windjammer, loved the layout. But a heavy camper a lot of sway even with the best wdh , upgraded to a bigger truck and it made a big difference in towing. Since we went for a bigger truck we decide to trade for a 5 th wheel. Would never go back to a travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatham09 View Post
We also had a 3008w windjammer, loved the layout. But a heavy camper a lot of sway even with the best wdh , upgraded to a bigger truck and it made a big difference in towing. Since we went for a bigger truck we decide to trade for a 5 th wheel. Would never go back to a travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Wish a 5th wheel was an option but I'm limited on payload with my f150. After I load the family up I've only got 1000 pounds of payload left. I'm not concerned with going a couple hundred pounds over payload, but not the 6-700 pounds that even the "half ton towables" would put me at
Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #16

We bought the Windjammer 3008W in April and love it, yes there is limited outside storage and I have been able to make the best of it. it made me realize the stuff I carried but did not use so I downsized and have not looked back. The floor plan works well for us and now my wife tells me we will not have another TT without the electric fireplace. I can honestly say this past weekend the temp dropped into the 40's at night and we only used that and never turned on the furnace. Everyone else around us had them kicking on and it never went below 68 degrees inside.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #17

We have the 2013 V-Lite 30WIKSS and love it. The island kitchen is wonderful. During the 2013 Goshen rally we toured the Flagstaff/Rockwood factory and they were making V-Lites and Windjammers that day on the same production line. I can't agree strongly enough with the advice about dealers. Find one with a good reputation and BBB rating. We've had some issues, but most were self-inflicted as a result of owner ignorance and inexperience. Tony Clark and the service team at Ron Hoover - Houston have been very accommodating and have educated us along the way. We bought a floor model at the RV show and it had quite a few options we would not have considered ordering, but now love. The electric fireplace/heater is a particular favorite. We sometimes run the fireplace in display only mode with the AC full blast. Watching the "flames" is very relaxing and Piper looks so darn cute stretched out in front of it. We also didn't know about the importance of having two AC units and 50 amp service for a large TT in hot SE Texas, but we sure wouldn't give them up.
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #18

2013 Forest River V-Lite Diamond-- Ron Hoover

Hello, We purchased out Forest River V-Lite from Ron Hoover in Galveston Tx. We love it and have had no problems with it. We have the Diamond package with just about everything including two air conditioners. I am so glad we got two and you are right you need it in South Texas. Ours are two 13,500s and when it was 104 in San Antonio they were both needed. We loved the front kitchen area. But wish you all the very best on your camping adventures, God Bless...
fordsuperdutyE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #19

2013 Forest River Wfkss Diamond V-Lite

Hi All, could not help myself when I saw this thread, sounds like you all have had good luck with your travel trailers as we have also. In reference to the Axles there was a call back on the dexter axles in 2011 and 2012 from what I was told. I checked mine and they said mine was not one of them. There is not much room between the axles and the top of wheel well, enough to get my hand in and thats it. I looked and mine has not rubbed any. I looked at another V-lite 2012 in the campground here and he had more room clearance than I do. But they say I am ok. I have had no problems in ours so far after a year and a half. I have done a lot of research and asked questions about this camper and did some comparing and this travel trailer stacks up against any of them. I think I may have paid a bit much for mine purchasing it when we did. It was MSRP at 45,000. Thats not what we paid for it. But as far as I am concerned it was worth it. The kitchen upfront and the windows that open up on the front of the V-lite is awesome. I pull mine with a 2008 E-350 extended Ford van with a 5.4 I added a rear Helwig sway bar to the van, K&N cold air intake, Bully dog Gt tuner and heavy duty Bilstien shocks. It took a cpl adjustments but now it pulls it very nice, a bit of sway here and there but very manageable. Dexter just came out with a sway control for the trailer that applies the brakes to either side to control sway. I am checking into this now and they say this will be standard on all trailers soon. God Bless..
fordsuperdutyE350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v-lite, windjammer