Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Window leaking.

We just had a good rain so ran down to check the window that has leaked. It leaked again. We can not figure where the water is coming from. It appears to be coming from the bottom of the window over the bottom of the screen. We checked and made sure that the little opening on the outside where open for the water to flow through but it looks like it overflows into the inside. Any ideas?
Ross - Letter Carrier (retired 2011), Jan - YNC(retired 1996)
Nights Camped 2011 (8)
rossandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

With black windows, sometimes it's tough to tell where the water comes in. If you want to pinpoint where it's leaking, put small strips of news paper every couple inches. Find the highest point where it's getting wet and that's where it's coming in. On the crank-outs, the most likely place for a leak is at the top where the hinge is. That's where ours leak and I think the factory weatherstripping just doesn't go high enough to make a good seal.

We've got a 2008 Windjammer and if it's your crank-out windows and they're Kinro's you probably have the same issue we do. All of our crank windows were leaking at delivery. We fixed 2 by opening the window and going outside to lay the rubber seal correctly (it was all wrinkled and bound up). The others had to have the seals replaced. We just had our dealer order them direct from forest river and they sent us 30 or 40 feet that we can cut\fit ourselves. We just got the seals this week so I haven't tackled replacement yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

We also had a leak that was really hard to trace where the water seemed to be starting at, after many failed attempts we kept spraying it down with water and discovered that the leak was coming from around the pop rivots that held the window in. It does drive you crazy when you cant locate the source,...good luck
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #4

Thanks for all your input. My husband finally found the leak and caulked it. We have had rain off and on all weekend. No leaks
Nights Camped 2011 (8)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

Window started leaking again on this trip. We are camping in Florida which has gotten a lot of rain lately. Only leaks when it is pouring and the wind is blowing toward the camper. It seems like the trough (not sure what it is called) at the bottom of the window cannot get rid of the water and it backups Into the camper. It pours in. We were actually catching the water in a bowl. Ross has tried to make the holes bigger for better drainage but still having issues. Any ideas?
Nights Camped 2011 (8)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

We purchased a used Rockwood from a dealer in Florence, Oregon. After many problems and issues, we signed a agreement that we would be responsible for leeks. Took out the inner frame of the window and you could see outside at one corner, tha same thing on the side compartment door. Looks like the factory forgot to use a template to mark the cut outs, they were all jagged. We cut the high spots out and centered the window with the proper caulking and solved the problem.
bornerdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

i had a leak in my Rockwood 8281SS in the back and it turned out to be coming in through the running lights, water ran down and filled up the light and then went in through the light bulb scocket, i drilled weep holes in the bottom but they still filled up with my water hose test so i sealed the top and sides with clear silicon
it maybe a small problem when changing a bad bulb but its the lesser of two evils
and thats how it goes with a Rockwood.........good luck

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote