Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Winterinzing Rockwood Mini Light 1809s

I have a few quick questions, I winterized my rv a few weeks ago but wanted to double check on a few things. I thought I had bypassed the HW heater but I must have turned the wrong knobs because I had anti-freeze coming out of the HW heater. Will it be a problem if there is anti freeze in there over the winter? Also I forgot to take my water filter out so it is still in there also with anti freeze, I am putting a new one in once spring comes anyway. I have read lot about low point drains, what exactly are these and do they have do be drained? Can it be done once antifreeze is pumped through the system?

Thanks for any help!
dnm1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
(Kim)

The WH holds about 6 gallons so I would be concerned if you added enough AF to do the whole TT properly. In one post on here, the OP had a problem with the AF in the WH causing an odd type of anode corrosion that produced white flakes in his WH tank and it was extremely hard to clean out.
It is ok that you left the filter in, just make sure you replace it with a new one in spring.
The low point drains do exactly what they are called, and drain the hot and cold water lines. You would have had to open them and drain out any residue water while you were purging your lines of water prior to you adding AF . If you open these after the AF is in the lines, they will drain all the AF out of the fresh water lines.
If you have any doubts about what you have done you can always re-winterize your TT.
I myself had to do this because the dealer did not winterize my TT properly.

There are many links to TT winterization, step-by-step on here if you need it, or if you look in your FR owners manual they have a page on winterization.

Good luck=]
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

I also have a 1809S & depending on how much RV Anti Freeze you used I would be concerned because it could be diluted & not protect the water filter. The low point drains on our 2011 is under the right rear corner - just behind the step. One blue & one red. When you say it was coming out of the water heater if you had the drain plug out that is fine.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

We ended up moving the camper so I was able to get in and take out the water filter so that is taken care of. I also drained the hot water heater just in case and I found the low point drains I believe. There is a blue hose and a red hose right next to each other with caps on the ends? they were on the slide out side right in front of the fresh water tank. I was able to get the red hose cap off and drain that but I can't get the blue one off. I just twist the whole hose, I might have to get 2 pairs of plyers and try again - it is a good thing RV anti-freeze isn't toxic since i sprayed myself in the face trying to get the red low point cap off .

Maybe I will go and get a couple more gallons of anti-freeze just in case and run it through all the lines again. It is cheaper to spend another $12 dollars now on anti freeze they have to put new plumbing in come spring time.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
I also have a 1809S & depending on how much RV Anti Freeze you used I would be concerned because it could be diluted & not protect the water filter. The low point drains on our 2011 is under the right rear corner - just behind the step. One blue & one red. When you say it was coming out of the water heater if you had the drain plug out that is fine.
Mine is a 2012, I don't know if that would be the reason for the different location in low point drains?? I will have to go back out and check behind my step and make sure there isn't something there also. Maybe I drained the wrong thing??
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnm1987 View Post
Mine is a 2012, I don't know if that would be the reason for the different location in low point drains?? I will have to go back out and check behind my step and make sure there isn't something there also. Maybe I drained the wrong thing??
Sorry I missed it that you said yours was a 2012 - & yes they have reconfigured the plumbing - MY BAD

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1809s