Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

Winterize Showermiser?!

I dunno... I do ours.

Figure water might lay in the lines between the Showermiser valve and the fresh tank.

While I had pink antifreeze goin through the antifreeze inlet through the water pump I ran the Showermiser hot and cold for about 5 seconds each till I saw pink a/f run out the fresh tank drain...

Just one less thing to worry about.

Anybody else do this?
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:05 AM   #2

WINTERIZE Showermiser

Dang it I missed the T.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

Unless you want to take a chance on freeze damage in the shower miser valve or it’s piping, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t want to winterize it, either with antifreeze or compressed air.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Unless you want to take a chance on freeze damage in the shower miser valve or it’s piping, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t want to winterize it, either with antifreeze or compressed air.
I know, kinda why I posted about it...

Some folks will flow the a/f through the shower but might forget to do the Showermiser back to the fresh tank.

I posted about this a while back and the post sorta went in the direction of getting anti freeze in the fresh tank...

I'm like, yeah, so what. You just pushed antifreeze through all your water lines.

You're gonna flush it all out come spring.

I'll bet some aint doin it.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
I know, kinda why I posted about it...

Some folks will flow the a/f through the shower but might forget to do the Showermiser back to the fresh tank.

I posted about this a while back and the post sorta went in the direction of getting anti freeze in the fresh tank...

I'm like, yeah, so what. You just pushed antifreeze through all your water lines.

You're gonna flush it all out come spring.

I'll bet some aint doin it.
Yes, there is a big taboo about putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank, but I regard it as a generalization that does not apply in all cases. The way the plumbing is routed in my motorhome, I do need to add antifreeze to the fresh water tank or else I risk freezing the line between the tank and the pump.

I don’t yet have a shower miser, but when I do get it installed I will blow out those lines with compressed air.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

There is NOTHING wrong with RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank. ITS MADE FOR OUR WATER SYSTEMS! Including the FW tank. You better make sure you have antifreeze in that FW tank drain valve or you are asking for trouble. How many posts say,," I filled my FW tank at home but when I got to my destination the tank was not full" Just sayin.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
There is NOTHING wrong with RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank. ITS MADE FOR OUR WATER SYSTEMS! Including the FW tank. You better make sure you have antifreeze in that FW tank drain valve or you are asking for trouble. How many posts say,," I filled my FW tank at home but when I got to my destination the tank was not full" Just sayin.
The "big taboo" tegarding antifreeze in the water tank isn't so much about any harm.

It's about how much antifreeze would be needed and how diiicult it will be to flush out.

One way to prevent the suction line from freezing would be to install a tee in the line from pump to tank. When winterizing as a last step use this tee to blow out the suction line and let water returning to tank drain from tank drain valve.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #8

The return line for the Miser is pretty much self draining when you open the valve to it (water off of course). You can hear the water gurgling back into the tank.
I just blow mine out, then also disconnect the shower hose frome the valve.
For the pump I run it until there is no suction, then disconnect the lines from the pump and drain the filter bowl. But I have fairly easy access to my pump.
I've never used antifreeze, even when I lived on Lookout Mountain behind Golden CO.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
One way to prevent the suction line from freezing would be to install a tee in the line from pump to tank. When winterizing as a last step use this tee to blow out the suction line and let water returning to tank drain from tank drain valve.
I wish it was easy. Situation is: water tank is under bed/ bed slide out. Would need to disassemble bed to access tank or it’s outlet. Water tank outlet is on the side of the tank. 3/4 inch of water remains in the tank when it is “empty”. The tank outlet is piped rearward, then down below the floor, then across to the other side of the RV, then down a foot to the pump and fresh water drain. The vast majority of this tank-to-pump piping is not accessible. The problem is that the cross RV pipe is not well supported and has a droop or dip in it that will hold water and not gravity drain. So, the big concern is the water that sits in the dipped part of the line. Yes, I can blow it out by pressurizing the tank with air via the gravity fill fitting, but even when “empty”, there is still water in the freshwater tank. Motion of the RV could cause remaining water from the tank to spill into the dipped pipe and fill that section back up with water, which could eventually freeze.

I have some ideas and eventually I’ll devise a workable solution to the problem posed by this sloppy water line routing, but for right now it is easier to put some antifreeze in the fresh water tank.

Tags
winterize, show, winter, shower