Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #1

Winterizing

I am going to winterize my 2018 Rockwood 8327SS Signature Ultra Lite. I have one question regarding the valve located next to the water pump shown in the picture. Does anyone know what this white valve is and should it be closed or left open for winterization? I plan on using compressed air to blow the lines out followed by antifreeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	155769  
pacamper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #2

I think that’s the valve you turn to use the outside antifreeze connection.
drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstimpy View Post
I think that’s the valve you turn to use the outside antifreeze connection.
Yes Tank water or AF your choice! Youroo!!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

THANK YOU! So needed to know this too.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes Tank water or AF your choice! Youroo!!
There may be two valves - one that allows RVAF to flow into the system and another that prevents the pump from drawing from the tank.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here are a couple of drawings that might help.
Not every system is exactly the same but this will give you the basics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing_01.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	155887   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing_02.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	155888  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #7

My own concern when I winterize is the fate of the line between the fresh tank and the pump. Does the low point drain empty that? I have my entire system blown out and running pink but have no way to validate the status of the fresh tank line.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
My own concern when I winterize is the fate of the line between the fresh tank and the pump. Does the low point drain empty that? I have my entire system blown out and running pink but have no way to validate the status of the fresh tank line.

What I do is what someone suggested I turn the pump on with no water in the tank for about 15 or 20 seconds that will clear out any water in the line do not leave the pump on Any longer without water in the tank
rarobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:

I think blowing the lines will take care of that. Not sure if that water will make it down to the low point drain without the help of compressed air. I blew the lines out first then run then pump for a few seconds. I closed the valve to avoid antifreeze getting into the fresh tank. My question now do I put some antifreeze into the fresh tank and the holding tanks. I am getting all kinds of different options.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Put some in you gray and black water tanks. Be sure you put some in the toilet bowl so the seal doesn't dry out.

Don't put AF in the FW tank. It will take a lot of filling and flushing to get it cleared out. The amount of water left in the FW tank will be fine, there is more than plenty of space for it to expand when it freezes.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Put some in you gray and black water tanks. Be sure you put some in the toilet bowl so the seal doesn't dry out.

Don't put AF in the FW tank. It will take a lot of filling and flushing to get it cleared out. The amount of water left in the FW tank will be fine, there is more than plenty of space for it to expand when it freezes.

I will thank you.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #12

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarobo View Post
What I do is what someone suggested I turn the pump on with no water in the tank for about 15 or 20 seconds that will clear out any water in the line do not leave the pump on Any longer without water in the tank
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacamper72 View Post
I think blowing the lines will take care of that. Not sure if that water will make it down to the low point drain without the help of compressed air. I blew the lines out first then run then pump for a few seconds. I closed the valve to avoid antifreeze getting into the fresh tank. My question now do I put some antifreeze into the fresh tank and the holding tanks. I am getting all kinds of different options.
There are several questions here...

First, the water in the the pump, the suction strainer on the pump and the line from the fresh water tank to the water pump are on the intake side of the pump. Blowing the system out with compressed air DOES NOT address these items.

Remember, your pump has a check valve built into it to keep city water from back filling the fresh tank. When blowing out the system from the city water port, that same check valve keeps the compressed air from evacuating the pump, suction strainer and the fresh water line to the pump.

As mentioned, after draining your fresh tank, you can run the pump dry and hopefully evacuate the water remaining on the intake side. I say hopefully because nothing guarantees it all gets pumped out, hence the always good advice to ingest antifreeze into the pump and suction strainer.

As for the water line to the pump from the fresh tank, sometimes, if the fresh tank is mounted lower than the pump, that water drains back to the fresh tank and ultimately out the tank drain on its own. If your unit has a fresh tank mounted higher than the pump, then chances are it may retain some water in that line which likely will migrate towards the pump. Theoretically, because that line isn't ever pressurized or have the ability to confine water, anything in there should expand and not harm anything if it freezes, but that is theoretically.

The best practice and what I've gotten in the habit of doing is remove the line from the intake side of the pump/suction strainer and blow back towards the tank to evacuate that line. Again depending on your tank mounting location, you may or may not want to consider this step.

Alternatively, if your unit has an antifreeze intake port, you can easily blow that line out by turning the antifreeze valve half way so the valve is open to BOTH the pump AND the fresh tank. It will then allow you to easily blow the contents of the line back into the fresh tank from the antifreeze port. Use CAUTION and use LOW pressure when doing so as the plastic suction strainer IS NOT designed for pressure. Just a couple PSI is all that's needed.

Just my 2¢ and YMMV.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

Pull out line to kitchen sink

On the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315 BSS with hot and cold water lines and the pullout on the water head, if you blow out system with compressed air
Will the compressed air clear all lines ?

ruggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggets View Post
On the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315 BSS with hot and cold water lines and the pullout on the water head, if you blow out system with compressed air
Will the compressed air clear all lines ?

I would recommend spending the $5.00 for 2 gallons of antifreeze. Never depend on air alone. Personally I don't use compressed air, contains oil, unknown chemicals in the air line etc., just antifreeze
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

I would recommend spending the $5.00 for 2 gallons of antifreeze. Never depend on air alone. Personally I don't use compressed air, contains oil, unknown chemicals in the air line etc., just antifreeze
Oil-less air compressors works fine for blowing out water lines, they have a rubber diaphragm that don't use oil to inject into the compressed air. They are usually cheaper to buy and lighter, smaller than a piston type air compressor.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter