Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #1

Winterizing

I purchased a 30 ft rockwood this summer and attempted to winterize today. I started with 2 gallons of antifreeze put into the fresh water holding tank. I turned on water pump and tried to get pink to come through the faucet. I never had enough pressure in the water system to get any antifreeze to come through. I called a friend that said add 2 more gallons, i did that and still never had enough pressure to have it come through the faucet. Any suggestions?
Dorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #2

Can you get access to the water pump? If you can remove the hose that comes from the fresh water tank. A a shower hose will fit onto the pump. You can then pump the pink antifreeze through the trailer. I would not put the antifreeze into the fresh water tank because it will be a pita to get all the taste out come spring.

I did mine this way and it only took 1 gal. to fill the plumbing and the second gal. i put down the drain pipes.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Ok..here's the scoop. You should never put the RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank. You will have a hard time getting the taste out of the tank.

There is a siphon kit that hooks to the intake side of the pump. The kit has a long hose that is used to siphon the antifreeze directly from the gallon jug. Works like a charm.

Drain the fresh water tank and flush it with fresh water. Might need to do this a bunch of times to get rid of the taste. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to the above advice, make sure your water heater is bypassed and drained. Winterizing should only take about two gallons (with some of that leftover).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Save the anti-freeze that you drain out of the fresh water tank and use it in the p-traps of the sinks/shower.

Tags
winter, winterize