Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 7
Worst walk through ever leaves me with questions...

Ok, so we picked up our 2018 8312SS a few weeks ago and experienced the worst excuse for a walkthrough ever. I think I knew more about it than they did. Now, I'm no stranger to the basics of a travel trailer, but there are features on this unit that are new to me. Such as, how in the world do I work my 2 zone thermostat? I realize I need 50amps to run both AC's... but if I'm in a campground that only has 30amp service how do I not turn on both AC's by accident ? Does it "know " it only has 30 amps? How do I figure out which zones are where? Should the electric heat come out warm, or kind of cool (like my heat pump at home)? I appreciate any help.
__________________

dans and dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 865
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans and dogs View Post
Ok, so we picked up our 2018 8312SS a few weeks ago and experienced the worst excuse for a walkthrough ever. I think I knew more about it than they did. YOU DID. Now, I'm no stranger to the basics of a travel trailer, but there are features on this unit that are new to me. Such as, how in the world do I work my 2 zone thermostat? I realize I need 50amps to run both AC's... but if I'm in a campground that only has 30amp service how do I not turn on both AC's by accident ? T/O 1 of the C/Bs Does it "know " it only has 30 amps? NO How do I figure out which zones are where? ASK for a drawing from FR - LOL. Should the electric heat come out warm, or kind of cool (like my heat pump at home)? probably Warm I appreciate any help.
Answers in Red
__________________

270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 42
Forest River has a check sheet with blocks for each item to be inspected. One block for the dealer and one for the buyer. The dealer is supposed to submit a copy of the form to Forest River after the PDI. My dealer wanted to give me a walkthru by a service employee who mainly does busy work. He told me before we set foot in the TT that he was not a tech. We went into the office and I told the manager I wasn't taking the trailer off his lot until every item on the sheet was checked and I was provided instructions and shown each component in operation to include the water heater working on both gas and electric as well as the fridge. Checked every outlet with a circuit tester, tried every light etc. even checked the USB outlets. I made them operate the slide, tongue jack and awning with power and manually. The manager was very accommodating even though the PDI took almost 3 hours. If they got away with not showing you how things work or you leaving without getting satisfactory answers then I'm sorry but bad on you. Just because they have your money doesn't put them in charge of anything. BTW the PDI checklist is on Forest River's web site. Pull off a copy and go back then call Forest River on your cell and tell them what this dealer is like.
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalace View Post
Forest River has a check sheet with blocks for each item to be inspected. One block for the dealer and one for the buyer. The dealer is supposed to submit a copy of the form to Forest River after the PDI. My dealer wanted to give me a walkthru by a service employee who mainly does busy work. He told me before we set foot in the TT that he was not a tech. We went into the office and I told the manager I wasn't taking the trailer off his lot until every item on the sheet was checked and I was provided instructions and shown each component in operation to include the water heater working on both gas and electric as well as the fridge. Checked every outlet with a circuit tester, tried every light etc. even checked the USB outlets. I made them operate the slide, tongue jack and awning with power and manually. The manager was very accommodating even though the PDI took almost 3 hours. If they got away with not showing you how things work or you leaving without getting satisfactory answers then I'm sorry but bad on you. Just because they have your money doesn't put them in charge of anything. BTW the PDI checklist is on Forest River's web site. Pull off a copy and go back then call Forest River on your cell and tell them what this dealer is like.
A lot of dealers attempt to jam that checklist in with the other paperwork and have a buyer sign it while signing the purchase docs. Then they check the boxes themselves. I had already inspected ours numerous times but did not see that form until in front of the finance guy. He sat there with a blank stare looking disgusted, while I read and checked off every single item.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 20,225
I told my dealer that I wouldn't accept the trailer unless I had a competent person and that we would go over everything on my PDI checklist.
The service foreman did the walk through and he had the FR check sheet also.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,601
Yet one more failure of the RV industry to treat the customers with respect.

Seriously, how hard would it be for them to make a video and post it on Youtube? You could then refer to it any time you had a question.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 97
Ummmm, around the South Boston, VA area
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 20,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Ummmm, around the South Boston, VA area
??
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Yet one more failure of the RV industry to treat the customers with respect.

Seriously, how hard would it be for them to make a video and post it on Youtube? You could then refer to it any time you had a question.
There are already 100's if not 1000's of videos on Youtube. You may have to search to find your specific make and model though.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 80
With all due respect...Why would the buyer let the person conducting the walkthru move onto another feature in the RV when the buyer didnt quite understand the function(s) of the feature that had just been explained. Ask question, ask questions, ask questions.
I also believe that a quick Youtube Video would save the dealer alot of headaches from phones call wanting to know how somethings works or the buyer didnt listen very will during the walkthru. Also, sometimes the info on a new trailer can be a little overwhelming to a nubie.
__________________
Bruce, Kansas
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR...69 nights camping since new
2006 Deluxe Harley Davidson
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
hiinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinthesky View Post
With all due respect...Why would the buyer let the person conducting the walkthru move onto another feature in the RV when the buyer didnt quite understand the function(s) of the feature that had just been explained. ... Also, sometimes the info on a new trailer can be a little overwhelming to a nubie.
The answer to your first question is your last sentence. Picking up our first camper was a blur. We fought tooth and nail over every little detail and price item when we bought it, but were so happy to get it "home", I let them get away with murder on the PDI.

Lesson learned from my own experience.
NOT the way to learn lessons, trust me...
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,936
Most dealers don't want to be bothered with a PDI. I asked for the gray, black and fresh water tanks all be filled to maximum the night before scheduled PDI. When I showed up the next morning the tanks were empty. I told them we would not start the PDI until the trailer had sit overnight with full tanks. Then I told them to call me when the tanks were full and then we would schedule the PDI. Took four days to finally complete the PDI.
__________________
2018 Forester 3051S (aka Clyde)
2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 360
Gotta give that dealer sales force a that-a-boy. They got their commissions, now the buyer has to figure out what they bought. Our dealer has hook-ups for one overnight stay for purchasers new/old and repairs to make sure everything works and we made a list of questions for sales/service to answer/fix the next morning.
__________________
DJsFolly
D. J. Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
Member
 
ADKDAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MOHAWK NY
Posts: 41
My dealer Seven Os RV Way in Cicero NY was the Best during my PDI. I asked them to have it all set up for full hookups and none so I could test all the systems. I'm not a newbie so I already knew what I needed to look for. They gave me a good PDI and then gave me several hours to go through everything. I found a few small adjustments that needed to be done and after the fixes I left totally satisfied
ADKDAN
__________________
ADKDAN
ADKDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Member
 
csyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Brewerton, NY
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaharter View Post
My dealer Seven Os RV Way in Cicero NY was the Best during my PDI. I asked them to have it all set up for full hookups and none so I could test all the systems. I'm not a newbie so I already knew what I needed to look for. They gave me a good PDI and then gave me several hours to go through everything. I found a few small adjustments that needed to be done and after the fixes I left totally satisfied
ADKDAN
We ordered our first ever TT from Seven-O's, and will hopefully pick it up in a couple weeks. Great to hear you had such a positive PDI, although I'm not at all surprised. This dealership has been beyond our expectations when it comes to answering questions and giving support.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 360
Proves central NY has some of the best dealers - have to match the competition. Wilkins is another very good dealer.
__________________
DJsFolly
D. J. Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Member
 
ADKDAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MOHAWK NY
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
We ordered our first ever TT from Seven-O's, and will hopefully pick it up in a couple weeks. Great to hear you had such a positive PDI, although I'm not at all surprised. This dealership has been beyond our expectations when it comes to answering questions and giving support.
They're the best. I have shopped them all in upstate ny and always purchase from them. Best service, fair price and always helpful when I call. Small family operation and I will buy my next trailer from them too. BY THE WAY, ONLY SMALL PROBLEMS FIXED RIGHT AWAY BEFORE I LEFT FROM THE PDI
ADKDAN
__________________
ADKDAN
ADKDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 40
I could probably compete with the OP for worst walk-thru ever. First TT, researched a good deal online several weeks before physically shopping around, found what we wanted and took a good look at it, put a deposit down and went back the next day for purchase and PDI. To answer all the "if the purchaser lets such happen, it's on you / why would you not do a, b, c?" comments... I felt I was decently educated and prepared by that point but you still don't completely know what you don't know. Our PDI was rushed; he even started by saying telling another employee he could do it but had to be quick. All questions I had at the time DID get answered but, of course, playing in the driveway the next several days led to much more.

I also had the FR PDI form slipped in with all the documents to sign, no boxes checked, and it was briefly explained at the time. Of course, even just a few weeks later, I now know a lot better for our next purchase!

The one good point at least has been that the dealer has been pretty responsive with my returning questions and initial, minor issues and very apologetic when I explained how rushed everything had been. Wrong remotes provided, missing drain caps, etc. All from their rushed service.
sscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 360
We order what we wanted/fresh no hand/foot prints except for the prep. We got a great walk through then the PDI. Dealer has power/water posts for new purchases, over night if you want, we did and tested everything. Next day the service person reviewed our comments and adjusted and did another PDI. We were happy, dealer happy then we finished the deal/signed the papers. This was the first dealer to give us a chance to test/twist run the slides in/out with nobody around. This dealer made it right before we left and over a year later all we did was hang pictures and make the bed.
__________________

__________________
DJsFolly
D. J. Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.


×