Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

08 Surveyor 263

Im new to the world of RVing and looking to buy a travel trailer. I found a 08 Surveyor 263 used (but never titled) that is selling for $13,500. Do you think this is a good deal. Would this be a good first travel trailer? Love to get some insight for you all.

I'd be pulling this with my 03 Chevy Avalanche. Thanks again!
Mynticelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum...Visit often!

We had a Rockwood 2605, which is similiar. The Surveyor is a good entry level camper...lets you get out and enjoy camping. The more you camp, the better idea you'll have as far as what you need and whether to upgrade, as most do.

As far as the price, we sold our 2008 privately for much more than that last November. We had used it for two seasons and was in great condition.

The Avalanche will be fine for towing, just get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control such a Reese dual cam or Equal-i-zer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynticelx View Post
Im new to the world of RVing and looking to buy a travel trailer. I found a 08 Surveyor 263 used (but never titled) that is selling for $13,500. Do you think this is a good deal. Would this be a good first travel trailer? Love to get some insight for you all.

I'd be pulling this with my 03 Chevy Avalanche. Thanks again!
1st of all, welcome to the forum !!!

When I 1st joined this forum, I there were no other 263 owners to be found. Since then, there have been 2 others to join, but 1 of them hasn't posted for a while (DooWopFan), and the other (VAlover) still posts occasionally. At 1st I thought that I had the only 263 anywhere, so I am glad too see that others have this model.

If you are getting this model as new, with full factory warranty, and the extras like AC and awning which I think are included in the interior and exterior luxury packages, then you are getting a excellent deal. I paid about $4000 over your quote in 2008. The resale value of a used unit is about what you are paying for a brand new unit.

Ours has been a great camper. Love all of the windows around the living area. Pulls great with our 2006 F150, so you shouldn't have a problem with your Avalache.

PM me if you want further details.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
I would rather be camping

here's a link to NADA RV values for Surveyors....

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...83&y=2008&ml=S

I thought it might be of some help in your decision.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since most stuff is standard equipment on the Surveyor, I plugged in the info for the AC and awning, and came up with $15,250 for an average retail used unit. Not sure what Mynticelx refers to as used but never titled. If it has been used, it should have been titled. Maybe Mynticelx can explain further. Even used, $13,500 should be a great price if the camper is in excellent shape.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great information. When I say they are selling it USED, but not titled - apparently another RV dealership owned it to sell new.. that dealership went under and this new dealership bought is through REPO. So therefore, it technically has never been sold to an end consumer - just back and forth in the world of RV sales.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for all the great information. When I say they are selling it USED, but not titled - apparently another RV dealership owned it to sell new.. that dealership went under and this new dealership bought is through REPO. So therefore, it technically has never been sold to an end consumer - just back and forth in the world of RV sales.
In that case, it is probably considered brand new, and should have the 1 year Forest River Warranty. If that is the case, sounds like a whale of a deal.

What options are included ??

Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
In that case, it is probably considered brand new, and should have the 1 year Forest River Warranty. If that is the case, sounds like a whale of a deal.

What options are included ??
Surveyor had an interior and exterior package that was added to the base model. I believe this has stayed mostly the same for newer models. Other options were day/night shades, exterior speakers, power awning. If this trailer has all these options it is as loaded as it can be!

I would be sure that forest river gives you the year warranty from date of purchase (If forest river considers this trailer new). There is an option that should be included to extend the factory warranty for 1 year on the whole trailer. You have to purchase this within the first 10 days of ownership.

It seems to be a good deal anyway so it may not matter if it doesn't have factory warranty. Get an inspection from someone in the know or friend's that own rv's (your friends at forest river forums can be a great resource!) if there is no warranty included. Just because it is new doesn't mean that it is problem free...

Happy shopping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Had to get out my 2008 Surveyor brochure to find this.

Then exterior luxury package included: A&E awning, 13,500 BTU AC, battery box, 2-30# LP bottles with cover, spare tire/carrier & cover, outside shower, stabilizer jacks, TV antenna w/cable -satellite hookup.

The interior package included: Stove cover, CD stereo with remote control & 4 speakers, water filtration system, 3 speed Fantastic Fan, 6 gallon GE DSI water heater, gas oven, sink covers, tub surround, microwave, and double door fridge.

Besides the options that shineysideup mentioned, you could also get: cherry wood plank vinyl floor (minimal carpet option ??), roof ladder, outside grill, and raised panel refer door inserts.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Had to get out my 2008 Surveyor brochure to find this.

Then exterior luxury package included: A&E awning, 13,500 BTU AC, battery box, 2-30# LP bottles with cover, spare tire/carrier & cover, outside shower, stabilizer jacks, TV antenna w/cable -satellite hookup.

The interior package included: Stove cover, CD stereo with remote control & 4 speakers, water filtration system, 3 speed Fantastic Fan, 6 gallon GE DSI water heater, gas oven, sink covers, tub surround, microwave, and double door fridge.

Besides the options that shineysideup mentioned, you could also get: cherry wood plank vinyl floor (minimal carpet option ??), roof ladder, outside grill, and raised panel refer door inserts.
Thanks for completing the list. That is right, the plank floor was something silly like $20 more. The fridge covers weren't very much either. I did not have the option to get these as my trailer was already built when I bought it. I do like the plank flooring vinyl, I would have spent the extra $$ for that!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #11

Thanks for all of the great details. I've decided that I'm going to hold off for a bit to make sure it really is what I want. The flow is a bit off to me since the living area is all the way in the back. Not sure if its something that would bother me long term.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for all of the great details. I've decided that I'm going to hold off for a bit to make sure it really is what I want. The flow is a bit off to me since the living area is all the way in the back. Not sure if its something that would bother me long term.
We like the flow of our SV 263. The bathroom is right by the door for those pit stops needed while outside and on the road. The kitchen is close to the door so that it is easy for the missus to hand me stuff while doing the outside grilling. The living area is a little isolated from in the back.....which we like. The huge windows are a plus when backed up to a lake, river, or woods.......and we just close the blinds when in an RV park and we are backed up against another camper. The only problem we have with the "flow" is the kitchen is a little tight for 2 people to work in........so I need to be doing something else if the missus is fixing dinner.......not a bad thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV 263 Floorplan.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2403

Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #13

Hey Mynticelx, welcome. We bought our 2007 SV263 a year ago and paid a little less than that. Ours had been used for a summer, though. We love it and feel like we got a fairly good deal on it. There are only 2 of us and a dog, so it has been the perfect entry level TT for us. We pull it with a Tundra and have the Blue Ox weight distribution package. We have been very pleased with the set up.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor