Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #1

12V DC Refrigerator stopped working

The last 5 days we were camping at Deep Creek Lake in Western MD. The Refrigerator, Norcold model N10DCSSR stopped working the first night. By morning the temperature was 64F and the freezer was 45F. The unit had power, and the controls seemed to work, but the only sound we could hear was a fan.

After we emptied the fridge contents back to a cooler and threw away some stuff, My son and I figured out how it was mounted in the cabinet. We downloaded a service manual for a similar model, and read up on how these fridges work and what trouble shooting we might be able to do. We removed the fridge and began to inspect it. We found that the power connection to the compressor had burned out! We figure the connection clips were probably not seated properly on the pins from the compressor and the draw was too much for the limited surface contact being made. Interesting was the fuse did not blow.

We carefully cleaned the contacts and worked the metal contact back into proper position and reassemble the fridge. Lucky for us, it started right up and the compressor started. After an hour, we check with a cheap IR thermometer and then re-installed the refrigerator in the cabinet.

The fridge has been working fine since. I already have a service appointment with my dealer over a freshwater tank leak, and have notified them about this problem.

I hope this might help someone else with a bad fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3793.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	276030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3791.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	276031  
Old 07-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #2

Glad you found the problem and fixed it. I know how satisfying it can be when working with my sons and even my friends kids. Thanks for including the pictures.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPcamper View Post
Interesting was the fuse did not blow.

I hope this might help someone else with a bad fridge.
A fuse or circuit breaker or GFIC will not trip under the condition you encountered.

In the Household circuit breaker world there are now "ARC-Fault" circuit breakers that will detect a arcing fault. They are now required by code in most jurisdictions. I do not know if they are available for DC circuits.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as downpayment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the post. Just checked that is the same Frig in our 2020 Surveyor 267RB SS. Good to know. We do like the Frig. Works great.

Did you happen to notice if there was any type of drain for water or anything? I was watching a youtube video that mentioned a drain hose. Was wondering where it might empty out in?

Thanks again.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:17 PM   #5

There is a catch basin for the water to drain into. It's fairly large, so the water would just evaporate from that. You can download the service manual from here. https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa..._SM_N10DCX.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back_of_RV_Fridge.png
Views:	17
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	277855  
Old 08-14-2022, 11:35 PM   #6

Thank you. Appreciate it.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, fridge, refrigerator