Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

2011 SPT 295 Wheels

Hello,
Has anyone changed the tires and wheels on a SPT 295 to a larger diameter 15"-16" wheel? Is this even possible? I'm not a fan of such a small tire on a trailer. I'm new to rving but have pulled many gooseneck stock trailers over the years and have had better luck with larger diameter tires. The original tires are 205/75R14C with load C. Although I'm not loaded anywhere near maximum payload weight, it seems possible to overload the tires before reaching payload capacity. Thanks for you input on this matter.
Txcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I think you are "jumping the gun" here. Your load capacity, that in addition to the trailer, is over 2,000 pounds. I don't see how you could come anywhere near overloading that trailer. IMO, you have plenty of load capacity with the tires you have. Secondly, there is only 2" of space between the tires on our Surveyor 235. I bet your measurement is similar. Realize that any larger tire will have a larger diameter. So, they probably wouldn't fit; the tires would be in contact with each other. D rated 14" tires are hard to find. Kumho makes a D rated tire in 14" that is speed rated to 99 mph and yes it is a trailer tire. But the aspect ratio is different; 82 vs 75 so you would need to do the 195 size to get the same diameter as your current tire. You would gain load capacity. We have the same size tire as you have on our 235. We've towed 10's of thousands of miles on them; all day in extreme heat, over horribly rocky national forest service campgrounds; all without incident. IMO, you are fine and should just make sure of your load, speed, trailer balance, tire pressure. Remember trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

acadianbob,

Thanks for your input. That's really what I was looking for more than anything is real world experience on the tires that I have. As you stated, I'm not going to be anywhere near the payload capacity of the trailer, just have always been leary of the smaller diameter tires. Growing up ranching in West Texas, I'm used to the 16 and 16.5" rim 8 lug with LT tires on all of our trailers. But there again, those trailers have MUCH higher payload capacity and dry weights than this RV. Thanks again, Bo
Txcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags