Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #1

2011 Surveyor step replacement, what would you do.

The og steps that came with our 2011 Surveyor 235rks broke a couple weeks ago and I'm having a heck of a time trying to replace them. Didn't know about the downward facing bolts being different widths for every trailer so the first steps I bought (Lippert 432687 Triple Step) was too wide, and now the second set I bought (Lippert 432682 Double Step) is like a quarter inch too wide to fit those downward bolts. So what would you do..
  1. 1. Keep looking and maybe call Forest River for the exact replacement?
  2. 2. Turn the holes marked by the red arrows into slots with an angle grinder and then mount it? With this option it'll be a little narrow of the side brackets but I can remove those too and add angle irons supports.
  3. 3. Just bite the bullet and get the Solid Step? I don't want to do this because it's heavy and we're not thrilled with having to take them out every time we need to hop in the trailer. (It's parked in our driveway and we're in and out all the time.)

Thank you all for any help you can give!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 8.25.49 AM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	255413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 8.25.43 AM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	255414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 8.21.15 AM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	255415  
lavaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
D W

Last August my bride had her fill of the flimsy unstable fold-out Lippert steps. We ordered a set of MORryde steps. We used the MORryde "step qualifier" on their website to obtain the correct step set. Searched for the best price and found our steps (STP-3-30-04H), at Walmart.com for $257.21 delivered. 20 minute install, and we have no regrets. My bride is 64, 5' 2", weighs 125 lbs and she handles then without any problems.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #3

UPDATE: Ended up ordering the MorRyde STP- 202 steps last night. Their newest gen steps have a quick release in the hinge that allows you to take the steps out and place them without swinging them down if you're in a tight slot. Thank you all!
Old 05-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaweb View Post
UPDATE: Ended up ordering the MorRyde STP- 202 steps last night. Their newest gen steps have a quick release in the hinge that allows you to take the steps out and place them without swinging them down if you're in a tight slot. Thank you all!
I like the quick release hinge. Thanks for sharing!

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Last August my bride had her fill of the flimsy unstable fold-out Lippert steps. We ordered a set of MORryde steps. We used the MORryde "step qualifier" on their website to obtain the correct step set. Searched for the best price and found our steps (STP-3-30-04H), at Walmart.com for $257.21 delivered. 20 minute install, and we have no regrets. My bride is 64, 5' 2", weighs 125 lbs and she handles then without any problems.
So last night I tried to install the STP-202s, and even after doing all of the measurements on their qualifier page, the steps wont allow the door to shut. The door hits the threshold of the steps, and then if I can get clearance there by cutting the bottom of the screen door, the latches of the steps that hold onto the door jam on either side prevent the screen from shutting and latching. Which makes me wonder how these steps work with any screen door since the brackets rest against the weather stripping that sits between the door jam and the screen.

Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated! It would be even better if you have pics of your installation. I'm currently going through any Youtube video I can find.

Thank you all!
Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #6

Little bit of an update. I got the steps reinstalled this morning. Figured out that I can trim off about a quarter inch of the screen door by taking it off, taking off the bottom bracket and then trimming the left and right sides the bottom, then reattaching the bottom bracket. Without the screen door the main door closes perfectly. Also I figured out I can move the locking bracket on the door frame for the screen door, so hopefully that will fix my binding issues with the brackets of the steps. I hope this helps someone in the future! Will take pics when I can.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaweb View Post
So last night I tried to install the STP-202s, and even after doing all of the measurements on their qualifier page, the steps wont allow the door to shut. The door hits the threshold of the steps, and then if I can get clearance there by cutting the bottom of the screen door, the latches of the steps that hold onto the door jam on either side prevent the screen from shutting and latching. Which makes me wonder how these steps work with any screen door since the brackets rest against the weather stripping that sits between the door jam and the screen.

Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated! It would be even better if you have pics of your installation. I'm currently going through any Youtube video I can find.

Thank you all!
When our steps are up, the screen door needed a little extra effort to latch due to the step latches. I adjusted the screen door catch on the door frame about 1/16". It was still a "tight latch", but much easier to close than before. I didn't have to trim anything off the bottom of the screen door itself. The outside door closes and latches without issue.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
When our steps are up, the screen door needed a little extra effort to latch due to the step latches. I adjusted the screen door catch on the door frame about 1/16". It was still a "tight latch", but much easier to close than before. I didn't have to trim anything off the bottom of the screen door itself. The outside door closes and latches without issue.
I'm noticing it's a little different for every trailer, so I'm glad you didn't have to trim the screen door. We made a slight adjustment this last camping trip to move them back away from the threshold a bit and now they are even better. I love how solid er... stable these MorRyde steps are.

Tags
2011, replacement, surveyor