Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

2019 surveyor legend 19rble tv installation?

Hello everyone,

My wife and I just purchased our first travel trailer but it did not come with a tv. 2019 surveyor legend 19rble. I'm sure someone has put one in on here. There is a sticker on the back wall of the fridge that says tv backer. Any pointers or info would be appreciated. Thanks
daves963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #2

Well, I didn't see a reply but we just purchased a 2021 19 RBLE and I have the same problem. The sticker says mount the TV directly behind the refrigerator on the bed room side. The dealership said don't do that and the factor said don't do that. They said use a magnet and find the studs. I guess there is some iron in the aluminum because I did get a magnet to stick at the corner of the outside wall in the bedroom area by the back of the refrigerator and then over the closet by the bed. Not sure what to do. Any help out there?
mgb1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:32 AM   #3

Nothing yet

I haven’t really had time to figure it out yet. I did find some pics on google images where they were mounted rite on the corner of the fridge. When I get home from work I’ll try and find them again and send them to you. Let me know if you find out anything
Old 07-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

The TV backer may or may not be there. Depends on the installer of the day haha.

But you can find it and figure out the limits of the backer with a standard "stud finder". The backer should set off the stud finder so you can identify its limits.

Finding any metal studs wont help much. You would still have to build a frame of sorts to fasten your TV mount to the studs.

Good luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

The pics i found

These pics aren’t the best but they may help. I think I found the wood backer in mine. Gonna tap a small nail through. If that’s the case how long of screws should I use 🤔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	234698  
Old 07-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves963 View Post
These pics aren’t the best but they may help. I think I found the wood backer in mine. Gonna tap a small nail through. If that’s the case how long of screws should I use 🤔
Determine the thickness of the wall and make the screws less than that.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

TV mount location

I did a bit of tapping on the refrigerator wall and I believe there may be a solid panel back there. I haven't tried a nail or drill yet. that will be the next step.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #8

Surveyor 19 TV mount

I went with the wall along the side of the bed. Here is the finished product. Swing mount works well. I can see the TV from the dinette or the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished tv mount.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	236394  
Old 08-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb1969 View Post
I went with the wall along the side of the bed. Here is the finished product. Swing mount works well. I can see the TV from the dinette or the bed.

Great!

Now does your antenna work?

Don't ask....why I'm asking lol
Old 08-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #10

I was at a Corp park about 30 miles from Topeka KS and it did pretty good. Here at home I get the same TV stations as my in house over the air antenna so I guess it is about what I would expect.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
I was at a Corp park about 30 miles from Topeka KS and it did pretty good. Here at home I get the same TV stations as my in house over the air antenna so I guess it is about what I would expect.

Great!

Our 2020 surveyor has some funny new antenna that does not work very well at all.

Have fun
Old 08-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #12

I think ours is a 2021. It has a small rabbit ear on top.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I think ours is a 2021. It has a small rabbit ear on top.
That sounds like a WiFi booster antenna.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That sounds like a WiFi booster antenna.

You are correct of course. Unfortunately that is what Forest River is installing and touting to also be a OTA TV antenna. The dealer raved about the antenna for TV.

UNFORTUNATELY not worth a flip in our 2020 Surveyor.

Your mileage may vary. :-)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #15

Surveyor TV Antenna ..What you need to know to make it work

I purchased a new Surveyor 272FLS in June 2020, on Saturday 9-7-2020 during our second trip I decided to hook up the TV (not a big TV person).. our TV is hidden and rises up out the countertop on a motorized lift.. Tried for 3-1/2 hours to get the tv to give me good reception.. tried everything, reset the TV settings many times, bought new cables, even hooked up to another site cable outlet, went online looked at Forrest river videos.. nada!
Remembered seeing another Surveyor in the campsite , so found and asked for his help. He had had the same issue and told me about a button that turns OFF the powered roof antenna, and allows the shore cable to go through to the TV.
I was easy for him as the little box is on display beside his TV where the cable from the TV goes into the wall. Mine, being hidden inside the counter was VERY hard to find, but once found and pressed ... Presto! all worked.
There is no documentation that I could find that informed me to turn off the powered roof antenna when using a shore cable..
To Clarify.. When I set the "TV channel input" to "air" (As the help videos told me to do) it would find around 40 channels but only 4 were not snowy, but those 4 had terrible reception and were breaking up. That is because the signal was coming from the roof top powered antenna.. As I was in a heavily wooded area I had bad reception from the 4 local free to air channels..
When I set the TV input to "Cable' the powered antenna switch was energized and not allowing the shore cable signal to get through to the TV.. as soon as I pressed the off button on the powered antenna switch (selector) the signal from the shore cable was able to get through to the TV and the TV was able to find the 90 channels provided by the campground ..
I would be really nice if Forrest River gave some documentation about the antenna selector switch, particularly for those of us whose switch is hidden inside a cabinet. I thought I had a faulty TV and had given up if it were not for my fellow Surveyor owner. Its OK I only wasted 3-1/2 hours and $20 on extra cables I didn't need. All I wanted was News and a weather report!
WoodytheAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodytheAussie View Post
I purchased a new Surveyor 272FLS in June 2020, on Saturday 9-7-2020 during our second trip I decided to hook up the TV (not a big TV person).. our TV is hidden and rises up out the countertop on a motorized lift.. Tried for 3-1/2 hours to get the tv to give me good reception.. tried everything, reset the TV settings many times, bought new cables, even hooked up to another site cable outlet, went online looked at Forrest river videos.. nada!
Remembered seeing another Surveyor in the campsite , so found and asked for his help. He had had the same issue and told me about a button that turns OFF the powered roof antenna, and allows the shore cable to go through to the TV.
I was easy for him as the little box is on display beside his TV where the cable from the TV goes into the wall. Mine, being hidden inside the counter was VERY hard to find, but once found and pressed ... Presto! all worked.
There is no documentation that I could find that informed me to turn off the powered roof antenna when using a shore cable..
To Clarify.. When I set the "TV channel input" to "air" (As the help videos told me to do) it would find around 40 channels but only 4 were not snowy, but those 4 had terrible reception and were breaking up. That is because the signal was coming from the roof top powered antenna.. As I was in a heavily wooded area I had bad reception from the 4 local free to air channels..
When I set the TV input to "Cable' the powered antenna switch was energized and not allowing the shore cable signal to get through to the TV.. as soon as I pressed the off button on the powered antenna switch (selector) the signal from the shore cable was able to get through to the TV and the TV was able to find the 90 channels provided by the campground ..
I would be really nice if Forrest River gave some documentation about the antenna selector switch, particularly for those of us whose switch is hidden inside a cabinet. I thought I had a faulty TV and had given up if it were not for my fellow Surveyor owner. Its OK I only wasted 3-1/2 hours and $20 on extra cables I didn't need. All I wanted was News and a weather report!
Welcome to the world of RV
Here is the link for help with all your problems.

"DIYdotcom"-Do It Yourself. OOPs you already know that

To be fair, this Forum is outstanding!

Good Luck!

Tags
surveyor