Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

201RBS Plumbing questions

Let's say my PDI was not very good - half of the techs were out with the flu and I pushed ahead rather than reschedule since I had owned a FR camper before.

The dealership said the unit was winterized, but ready - I asked him where to access the hot water bypass and he showed me the panel to be removed but we did not take the time to remove. Mistake on my part, this is not like any bypass system I have seen. I assume moving the top and bottom levers parallel to the pex lines bypasses the water heater?

Also, there does not appear to be an antifreeze inlet connection anywhere on this coach, to winterize do I put fluid in the fresh water tank and use the water pump?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	164451  
jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
Let's say my PDI was not very good - half of the techs were out with the flu and I pushed ahead rather than reschedule since I had owned a FR camper before.

The dealership said the unit was winterized, but ready - I asked him where to access the hot water bypass and he showed me the panel to be removed but we did not take the time to remove. Mistake on my part, this is not like any bypass system I have seen. I assume moving the top and bottom levers parallel to the pex lines bypasses the water heater?

Also, there does not appear to be an antifreeze inlet connection anywhere on this coach, to winterize do I put fluid in the fresh water tank and use the water pump?

Thanks!!
You are correct, that water heater tank is NOT bypassed, but is instead in the normal usage mode. You would turn the handles to be in parallel line with the bypass line in order to by pass the tank.

As is, the cold water line open is going into the tank and the hot water line is open coming out of the tank.

Find your actual water pumps location. You may have an inlet/suction port there, that you use to pull antifreeze into the system via the water pump.....after you bypass the water heater tank.

This may help

http://www.hannarv.com/files/news4/R...e-By-Camco.pdf

P.S> Do you actually have a coach or a travel trailer?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

Thank you! Is this a new way to do it? I am used to the H-configuration!
Old 03-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
Thank you! Is this a new way to do it? I am used to the H-configuration!
The 3-valve system seems to be more common, but there are several ways to do and accomplish the same thing. Each manufacturer/line does it how they see fit.

You could see three valves, two, or even one valve bypass systems.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

Sorry, travel trailer, I throw out coach as generic, like Kleenex! The PDF was very helpful thank you. I will turn on the pump tomorrow and find it by sound!

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

Yes, this system is normal as far as Surveyors go. Definitely different from most bypass valves. My 247BHDS is similar but does have the "H" hose with a valve on each end. It accomplishes the same thing. Turn the valves twice a year...once to winterize and once to get it ready for the year.

As far as getting the antifreeze into the system, find the water pump, pull the panel and check for another 90 turn valve with an auxiliary siphon hose. This creates very quick work of pulling antifreeze into the system without having to touch the fresh water tank. For winterization purposes, just drain the fresh water tank really well and it won't freeze.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

If like my 251rks. There is a panel in the storage compartment, street side, that is held with 4 screws. Behind that is where my water pump is accessed from. Hope that helps.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
If like my 251rks. There is a panel in the storage compartment, street side, that is held with 4 screws. Behind that is where my water pump is accessed from. Hope that helps.
My '16 220 RBS is the same.

Tags
plumbing