Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

201RBS review after second trip

We have owned this unit since January and just finished our second weekend. Wanted to give an overview for those considering this unit. Overall very please for a couples camper with a furry friend (pug). This is not our first camper - started with a FR pop-up and had a V-lite for a couple of years.

From front to back:
Unit does not come with a battery disconnect, since we keep ours in a storage facility, this was a must and paid to have the dealer install. The pass through storage in the front of the camper is huge and lighted! The water pump and antifreeze inlet can be access through a panel on the curb side of the unit. We love the moryde steps - but they need to be adjusted on every trip depending on how you level the camper. They also cause the screen door to drag and not latch, so I am pondering on adjustments. The factory mattress made it one night, hard as the plywood it rests on - now have a a regular queen in its place, and as an added bonus it keeps the very strong struts from popping up. Under the mattress is a great place to store clothing for the weekend, but with the light factory mattress it was a challenge to open and close. A tip for making up the bed is to slide it down halfway, make it up and slide it back into place!

Storage in the bedroom areas is great, the dual plastic sink covers can be placed on top of an open drawer to make a night side table. The cubbies are great for a CPAP and valuables.

Slide out couch is ok, lots and lots of storage behind it if you plan according. We ditched the heavy fold down table that came with the unit and bought an Alps Mountaineering table to replace it - great improvement.

Great storage in the kitchen area as well, you will need a silverware organizer no wider than 9" that can go in the second drawer down.

The 40 inch TV is great, but it covers the antenna booster button, you will need to operate it by feel, not sight - may relocate as a mod soon. The sound bar is nice, but no DVD in this unit. Easy to add later. I like the touch screen HVAC, but use it like an iphone, not a keyboard - very touchy. The bathroom also has a ton of storage, but the shower curtain is just ok, wish at this price point we could have had a glass enclosure. We will see how it lasts. Note that the hot water bypass is in a panel below the rearmost wardrobe door (4 screws).

Outside, awning is great, but I would have preferred the light strip against the RV and not in the awning roller, you cant use it unless the awning is fully deployed.

Hot water heater, the electric switch is outside, the gas switch is inside, go figure - since we always stay where this is electric i will never use the inside switch. Familiarize yourself with the knobs in the shower, they rotate outward for on, inward for off - weirdest set up I have seen.

Our unit came with the rear storage rack, which is great - but a couple of things to know - it is tubular steel and heavy. It has to be dropped just to access to black tank flush or outside shower. it means your spare is under your unit on a new BAL tire cradle (please familiarize your self with this system, not as easy as it appears). Not sure why the engineers didn't allow access to the plumbing with the rack in the upright position.

Fresh water inlet is located directly above the cable/satellite connection - any drips will impact these connections.

Overall, fit and finish are excellent - we looked at many brands including other FR brands and think the Surveyor is near the top in this price point. A couple of things I would like to slap the designers for on location, but seems like a very good unit overall. At this point nothing I see a need to go back to the dealer for, a couple of loose screws on cabinet hingers, wiring that needs tucked in, etc. but overall good to go.

We are towing with an F150 and very please with the overall package. Feel free to PM me with comments or questions.

Thanks!
Jack
jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
We have owned this unit since January and just finished our second weekend. Wanted to give an overview for those considering this unit. Overall very please for a couples camper with a furry friend (pug). This is not our first camper - started with a FR pop-up and had a V-lite for a couple of years.

From front to back:
Unit does not come with a battery disconnect, since we keep ours in a storage facility, this was a must and paid to have the dealer install. The pass through storage in the front of the camper is huge and lighted! The water pump and antifreeze inlet can be access through a panel on the curb side of the unit. We love the moryde steps - but they need to be adjusted on every trip depending on how you level the camper. They also cause the screen door to drag and not latch, so I am pondering on adjustments. The factory mattress made it one night, hard as the plywood it rests on - now have a a regular queen in its place, and as an added bonus it keeps the very strong struts from popping up. Under the mattress is a great place to store clothing for the weekend, but with the light factory mattress it was a challenge to open and close. A tip for making up the bed is to slide it down halfway, make it up and slide it back into place!

Storage in the bedroom areas is great, the dual plastic sink covers can be placed on top of an open drawer to make a night side table. The cubbies are great for a CPAP and valuables.

Slide out couch is ok, lots and lots of storage behind it if you plan according. We ditched the heavy fold down table that came with the unit and bought an Alps Mountaineering table to replace it - great improvement.

Great storage in the kitchen area as well, you will need a silverware organizer no wider than 9" that can go in the second drawer down.

The 40 inch TV is great, but it covers the antenna booster button, you will need to operate it by feel, not sight - may relocate as a mod soon. The sound bar is nice, but no DVD in this unit. Easy to add later. I like the touch screen HVAC, but use it like an iphone, not a keyboard - very touchy. The bathroom also has a ton of storage, but the shower curtain is just ok, wish at this price point we could have had a glass enclosure. We will see how it lasts. Note that the hot water bypass is in a panel below the rearmost wardrobe door (4 screws).

Outside, awning is great, but I would have preferred the light strip against the RV and not in the awning roller, you cant use it unless the awning is fully deployed.

Hot water heater, the electric switch is outside, the gas switch is inside, go figure - since we always stay where this is electric i will never use the inside switch. Familiarize yourself with the knobs in the shower, they rotate outward for on, inward for off - weirdest set up I have seen.

Our unit came with the rear storage rack, which is great - but a couple of things to know - it is tubular steel and heavy. It has to be dropped just to access to black tank flush or outside shower. it means your spare is under your unit on a new BAL tire cradle (please familiarize your self with this system, not as easy as it appears). Not sure why the engineers didn't allow access to the plumbing with the rack in the upright position.

Fresh water inlet is located directly above the cable/satellite connection - any drips will impact these connections.

Overall, fit and finish are excellent - we looked at many brands including other FR brands and think the Surveyor is near the top in this price point. A couple of things I would like to slap the designers for on location, but seems like a very good unit overall. At this point nothing I see a need to go back to the dealer for, a couple of loose screws on cabinet hingers, wiring that needs tucked in, etc. but overall good to go.

We are towing with an F150 and very please with the overall package. Feel free to PM me with comments or questions.

Thanks!
Jack

Good review.
johncarm84 is offline   Reply With Quote