Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #1

243rbs spring hanger fail - AGAIN

Currently stranded in Laramie KOA with a spring hanger weld fail. This is the second time we have been stranded by this problem. It being the weekend I am having a hard time finding someone to repair it. Supposed to leave here tomorrow for Grand Tetons. We are so disgusted we are talking about trading. We still have until the second week of June on this trip. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced weld failures on spring hangers?
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

Good that apparently no one else has had this issue. It is no fun. The mobile RV tech we thought might have a look yesterday backed out, so we are stuck until tomorrow. I got a couple of places to call first thing in the morning so hopefully someone can fit me in early and we can get on the road by noon. We have a six hour drive to Colter Bay Village in the Grand Tetons.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sorry you are having issues. There have been some past threads where the folks were having the same problem. I believe they found a local welder to come out and fix them up. You might try a repair facility that isn't R/V specific.

Best of luck to you.
Are you loaded too heavy or have a habit of jacknifing your rig? Any photos of the failed hanger?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilliams48 View Post
.... Just wondering if anyone else has experienced weld failures on spring hangers?
YES!!!

14 months after we purchased our Surveyor, we had a spring hanger weld fail.
The dealer told us to go away...not under warranty. FR said it was a "Road hazard". Success (that's a loose term) was when I threatened to sue Lippert (LCI) for a faulty manufactured frame. It took 2 months with a welding shop and LCI to finally resolve the issue and get back on the road.

Bottom line, trade it in but the trailer frames are all POS's coming off the same factory line.

Below is the link to my fiasco. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. It's SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Beware: Leaf spring hanger & chassis separation

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilliams48 View Post
Currently stranded in Laramie KOA with a spring hanger weld fail. This is the second time we have been stranded by this problem. It being the weekend I am having a hard time finding someone to repair it. Supposed to leave here tomorrow for Grand Tetons. We are so disgusted we are talking about trading. We still have until the second week of June on this trip. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced weld failures on spring hangers?

I've seen several Surveyor's over the last few yrs with spring hanger weld failures . seems to be a problem with the surveyors have not seen it on other models with the same amount of frequencies as with the Surveyors . enough where there s/b a recall
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

Have your welder inspect the other welds while his there.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #7

The rest of the story- we were waiting at 0800 when the welding shop opened on Monday morning. Had the repair done by 0930 and back on the road by 1000. He said the other welds looked OK but the failure was more like pulling metal away from the frame member as much as a weld failure. If we had the time I would have gotten him to strengthen the other welds but we we were already a day late checking into the site at Grand Tetons National Park so we left it with just repairing the broken one. Both failures we at the rear spring hanger.

I am a pretty conservative driver, usually no more than 60-63 mph and try to watch for the pot holes. Not sure what we are going to do. We won’t be home until second week in June. We actually looked at some AirStreams on line but that is an entirely different animal. Just thinking about options right now.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #8

Glad to hear you are back on the road. Thanks for letting us know.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #9

Solved the Surveyor issue by trading it for a Freedom Express 252RBS. We'll see how this one goes.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #10

Congratulations. I like that floor plan. Considered that floor plan myself but wanted to stay a little lighter due to my 1/2 ton.
Georgia 71 is offline   Reply With Quote