Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to dcummins56
251 RKS and Portable Generator

Hi all, I just a bought a portable generator, a 1200 W Pulsair. The gen works great and it had a really good price. ($140) My question is this? When I plugged the TT into the gen it immediately started to work hard. I double checked everything and nothing was on or working other than the microwave. Then I turned on my TV, some lights, and the refrig, and the Microwave was also on. There wasn't any change in the working of the gen, they all worked good. So I'm wondering what is causing the electrical pull on the gen? It's no big deal just has me wondering.

The gen is just what I was looking for, it is light weight, (2 cycle) (35lbs) can run all the electrics I want run and is not that noisy.
dcummins56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #2

Check your water heater if it is on electric. Also the converter would be charging the battery.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcummins56 View Post
Hi all, I just a bought a portable generator, a 1200 W Pulsair. I double checked everything and nothing was on or working other than the microwave. .

Most generators quote their surge load capability as the capability.The specs on the Pulsair are 1,200 Peak Watts/ 900 Running Watts of power . Your microwave draws a considerable amount of power. Without knowing the size of the microwave, it is probably between 700 and 1000W which is probably the normal load capacity of the generator. Also remember you most likely had the converter on which can draw another 100-200W.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #4

The big electrial load was probably your converter recharging your 12V battery. And maybe your waterheater element if you have an electric capable water heater.

Is your generator perhaps a PULSAR brand 1200W generator? I could not locate any generators with the Pulsair brand name

Not familiar with your specific generator, but I have one that looks identical except it is painted blue with different stickers (probably is identical!!) Those little 2 stroke gennys are usually only good for about 600, maybe 700 watts continuous, with a really, really, really, really optimistic surge rating of something like 1200 watts. I think they probably "can" make that surge rating, but only for a few thousandths of a second until the momentum and rpm of the rotating parts slows to the point where it is no longer possible to maintain that current flow and voltage, much less frequency.

With your converter charging, and your refrigerator running on electric, you're very likely going to be maxxed out on that little generator. I'd be interested to see what your voltage and frequency is!!

Good luck with it, but I'm almost positive you'll be wanting more generator in short order

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #5

With my Generac 2000watt Inverter Generator if I turn on the microwave it will work harder. Yours will work even harder.
I wouldn't use yours for more than charging your batteries. I feel it will take a long time to charge your batteries. I am assuming you have more than 1 battery.
I have 2 24 series on my 251rks. I just upgraded my converter to get better charging of my batteries.
Good luck!!

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Site Team

You should have bought a minimum of a 2000w inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi all, I just a bought a portable generator, a 1200 W Pulsair. The gen works great and it had a really good price. ($140) My question is this? When I plugged the TT into the gen it immediately started to work hard. I double checked everything and nothing was on or working other than the microwave. Then I turned on my TV, some lights, and the refrig, and the Microwave was also on. There wasn't any change in the working of the gen, they all worked good. So I'm wondering what is causing the electrical pull on the gen? It's no big deal just has me wondering.

The gen is just what I was looking for, it is light weight, (2 cycle) (35lbs) can run all the electrics I want run and is not that noisy.
A 1200 watt generator will only produce a max of 1000w of continuous power.
1200 is surge for start up. You maxed it out with the micro. Probably 900 watts. Other things my have run but not for long.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
A 1200 watt generator will only produce a max of 1000w of continuous power.
1200 is surge for start up. You maxed it out with the micro. Probably 900 watts. Other things my have run but not for long.

Not sure, but I think he meant that the clock was on on the microwave... not that it was actually nuking something.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Not sure, but I think he meant that the clock was on on the microwave... not that it was actually nuking something.
Good be. When I think of a micro being on I'm thinking in use not just the clock.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Bingo!!!

The OP saw his micro "ON" with the clock working.

The gen purchased was likely THIS ONE and will provide enough power to run the converter and small AC plugged items.

No way in Hell will it run the microwave, AC or water heater on that little gen. The converter alone is likely rated to pull up to or more than the gen can provide for that gen.

That gen isn't bad but the expectations should be to run nothing more than charging batteries are power lights, TV, and DVD player.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Bingo!!!

The OP saw his micro "ON" with the clock working.

The gen purchased was likely THIS ONE and will provide enough power to run the converter and small AC plugged items.

No way in Hell will it run the microwave, AC or water heater on that little gen. The converter alone is likely rated to pull up to or more than the gen can provide for that gen.

That gen isn't bad but the expectations should be to run nothing more than charging batteries are power lights, TV, and DVD player.

x2!!

Like I said before, I've got one just like that except it's blue and a different brand... and the "ratings" are more like "dreams".

I used mine a lot to run a pair of quartz halogen work lights back when we heated our house with wood, and I was splitting wood after dark. it would not run 2 500w bulbs... I had to replace one of them with a 300w... and if you would watch the throttle on the carburetor, when that 2nd bulb came on, it was FULL THROTTLE BABY!! So, 750, 800W max... Since it was cold outside, I ran it that way for many hours... good cooling. I wouldn't put that load on it continuously in the summer though

Not a bad little generator, for what it is... it just isn't what they say it is.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #12
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to dcummins56
251 RKS and portable Generator

Hi Guys, The microwave clock was on, wasn't nuking anything, and I forgot about the electric heater. It wasn't charging my battery as I have a off/on switch for that. This gen, sorry, it is the pulsar 1200 w is just what I want, to run some lights, my tv and the refrig. when I may need to park at Wally world.

We are not boondockers, so I just need the min. amount of electricity. I didn't realize the converter would suck power immediately. In any event you guys answered my questions, thanks.
dcummins56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi Guys, The microwave clock was on, wasn't nuking anything, and I forgot about the electric heater. It wasn't charging my battery as I have a off/on switch for that. This gen, sorry, it is the pulsar 1200 w is just what I want, to run some lights, my tv and the refrig. when I may need to park at Wally world.

We are not boondockers, so I just need the min. amount of electricity. I didn't realize the converter would suck power immediately. In any event you guys answered my questions, thanks.

That's great if it does what you want! Fridge, converter, and TV, and you're going to be pretty near maxxed out with that little genny.

If you find yourself wanting more though... there's plenty of experience around here to help you pick something more capable.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

It really shouldn't "suck much power" if you have the battery disconnected as you said. At that point, the converter would only be powering any 12v items that would be ON.

You could always turn the breaker off to the converter (in the distribution box) on generator start-up but I think you've experienced what others have been saying and that is your generator is pretty much maxed out just powering the converter, the clock in the microwave and any 12v items that may have been drawing from the converter (ie: CO/LP detector) Once you connect the battery disconnect and the converter is charging the battery, it is going to draw even more current.

It will likely do what you suggested. Anything more and you'll need to be really mindful of your current draw.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #15

#1 your over taxing a 1200 watt generator running a microwave. #2 its a 2 cycle not meant for running a camper .2 cycles create heat with little lubrication which ads up to short life span.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #16
D W

Every time I see a thread with this discussion it reminds me of the "Green Acres" T.V. show, Episode: "You Can't Plug in a 2 with a 6"

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator