Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

A bit of trouble on our trip this weekend...

So this week my mom and I headed for the Lake of the Ozarks. I had a two day conference down there so my boss said they would cover two days at the campground instead of the hotel. So we go down a day early, everythings great, moms excited and so am I. Next day, I head for the conference where we have sessions scheduled for 12 hours. At around 9pm when I get out to the truck, I have 10 voice mail messages from our neighbors in the campground.

Apparently, right after I left, my mom went outside and the door locked behind her. She didn't have her set of keys and of course I had my set. She sat outside in her flannel pajamas in 97 degree heat. She called for a locksmith who kept promising to show up in 2 hours every time she called him. At around 1:00, the neighbors came over and said come inside our MH and cool down. She took a little nap and then walked back up to the campground office and called a different locksmith who showed up in 45 minutes and unlocked the door for her to the tune of $85. Also a different neighbor (related to the first neighbor) gave her a change of clothes and some flipflops for her feet.

So kudos to the locksmith who actually showed up when he said he would and the two neighbors from Florida who were at the lake for a Harley convention or something. They both had Forest Rivers, one was a MH and one was a fifth wheel toyhauler. They both had had the same thing happen to them before so they were sympathetic. Anyway, once more proof that campers are a helpful bunch.

Later, the neighbor lost her dog and my mom went out and found him. It was definitely an eventful weekend. After that, things went great. It was my birthday on Friday so we stayed for the entire weekend and had a great time overall. We're going to get one of those magnetic key holders and extra keys this week and put it somewhere on the outside of the trailer so that if anything like this happens again, we will be covered.

My mom was actually pretty smart. The basement storage was unlocked so she got a bucket and some towels and kept wetting down with cold water. It scared the heck out of me though when I saw my phone was blowing up with messages. I was like what the heck is going on.

So, my question is is there something I can do with the lock to make sure that doesn't happen again or just make sure I have the extra key somewhere where we can get to it?
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Had that happen once, DW locked herself out with her keys inside while I was on a contract job. Luckily she went to the office and called me. Was only about 3 miles away. Since then, we have a key hidden outside.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

We have to use the key to lock our outside door. I suppose that is an extra safety feature!
Glad to hear that the neighbours were helpful.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Why don't you set your phone to vibrate and keep it in your pocket?

I'd definitely keep an extra set of keys in one of those magnetic things. There is a lot of good metal surface around your gas bottles and the cover will hide it.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Why don't you set your phone to vibrate and keep it in your pocket?

I'd definitely keep an extra set of keys in one of those magnetic things. There is a lot of good metal surface around your gas bottles and the cover will hide it.
We were ordered to keep cell phones out of the conference. In hindsight I should have gone out to the truck and checked my phone during our one 15 minute break. I dont know what I could have done since I couldnt leave but felt like crap that my mom was all by herself.
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Yeah, I ignore those kind of orders. I've missed many an important message going along with such foolishness. The point is they don't want the interruptions from the ringers. Good thing you had kind neighbors - could have turned out much differently.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

What I do is wire tie a set of keys together, good places to leave are at the propane area and hot water also the fridge. What happened to you shows that LOCKS only keep the GOOD PEOPLE OUT.... by the way. Also check your coach net, I think they cover the locksmith 1 time in the warranty period
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Team

You can order extra keys from your dealer.

Vibrate is not all that quiet on some phones especially during a meeting. Does your phone have a "Silent" or only incoming messages from selected person options?

Hiding a key could be a good idea. Could put it in one of those magnetic things and stick it inside the bumper but I like the P tank or water heater door idea since it would take more effort to get to it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Our TT has a front door and a back door. I have a set of keys that I carry to fit everything...the other set is inside but.....I have an extra one that I keep in a magnetic holder stored outside. Having that large metal frame...they are all kinds of places to store one. I wonder how many of the other campers keys would have fit?
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #10

That is a good point - I have one key that fits all my outside compartments in 3 trailers. Haven't tried door keys, but there may be only a few types.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
We were ordered to keep cell phones out of the conference. In hindsight I should have gone out to the truck and checked my phone during our one 15 minute break. I dont know what I could have done since I couldnt leave but felt like crap that my mom was all by herself.
What kind of outfit do you work for, anyway, that wouldn't give you the short amount of time necessary to get your elderly mother out of a jam like that?

Do you know anyone named Simon Legree?

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Stay Classy San Diego

Glad everything turned out alright! You are definitely having lots of adventures with your TT

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

I have my spare set of keys locked in an outside compartment. I keep a spare CH751 key in the truck so i can always get into that compartment. I have told DW that if she needs in and I'm not around she can always borrow about anyone's storage key to get in that compartment.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #14

I never even realized you could lock yourself out. So what happens, you flip the lever on the inside and close the door? I only use the deadbolt when we lock it up from outside, never the other lock.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #15

I have an electronic RVLock - great addition. Must use fob to lock and I also got the outside key pad. I mount it with velcro to the refrig air intake vent (white velcro so you cannot really see the velcro when the key pad is not installed) and a second fob which both of us have. I have gone out with the dog at night, unlocked the bedroom door dead bolt, opened the door then closed it - yep, handle lock was locked and I was OUT. This solved the problem and I do not have to wake up DW when I am stupid, she is usally awake for that part. If it happens again, I can get back in using the RVLock on the living space door using the keypad. Yep, I hadto do it - AGAIN!
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote