Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #1

A couple more SP 220 glitches

Had the new camper out for a week and a couple of minor but irritating problems came up.

Some of the bulbs in the LED awning light were not burning and one or two burned intermittently. I figure these things have about two hours' total burn time on them. Expected a longer life from LED's.

Luckily our dealer's parts department has the light strip in stock because others have come in with the same problem. Apparently the Carefree of Colorado folks recognized and fixed the problem and shipped a bunch of new units to the dealer.

I hope the rest of you guys have the lights that aren't defective. We have lots of other campers asking us about the lights because they give a cool glow to the front of the trailer at night. We love them.

The other glitch was that one side of the kitchen sink has a slow leak under the cabinet when the sink is filled with water. Closer examination indicated a gasket under the strainer? on the interior of the sink appears to be way off center. When the sink is holding water for dishwashing, etc., the pressure allows it to slowly drip underneath.

Probably not something that will happen to others with this model unless the same inattentive guy installed your gasket.

Still loving the camper.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your issues. We have had commments on our LED's as well (so far no issues but don't try to clean them with anything abrasive ).

We have had more than a few comments on our rims as well. Couple of people have commented that they are nicer than thier car rims .

That sink thing must be an FR thing. Our friend with the Vibe had the same problem.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues. We have had commments on our LED's as well (so far no issues but don't try to clean them with anything abrasive ).

We have had more than a few comments on our rims as well. Couple of people have commented that they are nicer than thier car rims .

That sink thing must be an FR thing. Our friend with the Vibe had the same problem.
Yeah, we've had comments on the rims, too. I think they're kinda unique, maybe used only on the Surveyor brand, but I'm not sure. The black looks really good with the other black accessories on the camper.

The lights and the sink were really minor issues. The sink doesn't leak when water runs down the drain, only when the drain is plugged and the water has nowhere else to go except under the gasket. So we were able to work around that with no problem.

Luckily, our dealership is only 23 miles from home, so when we got back from our trip on Saturday, we left the trailer hooked up and just towed it over there on Monday.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

I do feel bad for those who live far from the nearest dealer. Our dealer is about 100 yards from where we store our camper.

We bought some splash gaurds over the weekend and we are going to try them in the tub to see if that stops the leaking there. I am going to try to install them this weekend while camping. We did find that we can fit the camper in our driveway and just barely get in and out but it seems to be kind of fun to work on it while camping. I think it is the beer factor

Plus if we are careful it really doesn't leak that bad (translation: it only leaks now with the wife takes her shower but I can't say that to her )

So no pictures from your last trip?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
I do feel bad for those who live far from the nearest dealer. Our dealer is about 100 yards from where we store our camper.

We bought some splash gaurds over the weekend and we are going to try them in the tub to see if that stops the leaking there. I am going to try to install them this weekend while camping. We did find that we can fit the camper in our driveway and just barely get in and out but it seems to be kind of fun to work on it while camping. I think it is the beer factor

Plus if we are careful it really doesn't leak that bad (translation: it only leaks now with the wife takes her shower but I can't say that to her )

So no pictures from your last trip?
Yes. I will post a photo or two tonight. Thanks for asking.

As for the shower leak, do you have what they call the radius shower curtain with the curved metal frame that slides closed? I've seen photos of some 220's that just have the straight shower curtain with no metal frame.

We have never had a drop to escape ours, and I take vigorous high-pressure, devil-may-care showers.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Yes. I will post a photo or two tonight. Thanks for asking.

As for the shower leak, do you have what they call the radius shower curtain with the curved metal frame that slides closed? I've seen photos of some 220's that just have the straight shower curtain with no metal frame.

We have never had a drop to escape ours, and I take vigorous high-pressure, devil-may-care showers.
We have the radius shower curtain (love it). I think what is happening is that water is hitting the back wall and pooling in the back and then running under the poorly sealed metal frame.

It's not the pressure that is getting us but letting run while you are not standing there to block it. We never have full hookup so we are also trying to take it easy on the grey water tank. I am not sure how the wife gets water all over like she does.

I will be watching for the pictures!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #7

Sounds like a little sealant will solve the problem. Yes, we love the radius curtain also. I notice that some 220's do not have it.

I've attached a couple of photos of our setup in Asheville, NC. You'll notice I have the hard plastic spare tire cover from my old Surveyor. It has the compass logo embossed on it. It's gold, like the old Surveyor trim, and would have looked better in black. But we DO have some gold or light browns in our decals, so it seems to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	36129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	36130  

Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

Nice setup! I love the old style wheel cover! Wife and saw one on an older surveyor and loved it. We were trying to figure out how to get one (I am guessing you kept yours from your previous TT). She is going to be jealous when she sees the pictures.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #9

I had to order that spare cover from Forest River back in 2010 .... for $100!!!, but it matched the fender skirts, propane tank cover and other things on the old camper. I imagine they make them now in black, but I didn't want to spend that much when the gold one matches my graphics, anyway.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

I would gladly pay the 100 for the gold one!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Had the new camper out for a week and a couple of minor but irritating problems came up.

Some of the bulbs in the LED awning light were not burning and one or two burned intermittently. I figure these things have about two hours' total burn time on them. Expected a longer life from LED's.

Still loving the camper.
Noticed ours having some problems over the weekend. Did you stick around while they put them on? I don't want to lose use of it during camping season and I only have 3 lights having problems.

We are still having problems with the minor shower leak. I think it is coming under the frame. I am going to look at it next time.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Noticed ours having some problems over the weekend. Did you stick around while they put them on? I don't want to lose use of it during camping season and I only have 3 lights having problems.

We are still having problems with the minor shower leak. I think it is coming under the frame. I am going to look at it next time.
We didn't stick around because we had a couple of other small items to be resolved, and we got a promise that it would be ready in two weeks.

We also just had a few LED's that were out (and a couple more were blinking intermittently), but it really looked bad. I'm assuming they had to change out the entire strip. As mentioned earlier, this is a known problem with the awning LED's, so I guess you're going to eventually have to get it changed out. But I'm like you: it's not worth losing any camping time over.