Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Antenna Concern

2020 Surveyor 272FLS

I can hardly pull in radio stations that I get in my truck clearly. I also get zero channels on the TV after scanning. LED light for booster is on, and no changes.

Dealer said the booster could be bad over the phone due to that being a common issue.

Now, I've reached out to FR via facebook, and they're understaffed due to COVID-19 to help within 1.5 days so far.

I cant even find out what make the antenna is. So maybe a climb in my future today. The frustrations with spending money for nothing is adding up. But I'm taking it in stride.

PS the TV remote doesn't work anymore.(new batteries too)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #2

Take a pic of your antenna, we can figure out what kind it is for you.

I would suspect a disconnected or loose coax connection before I would commit to buying new parts. It's easy enough to take off the little cover on the amplifier to see if the coax connections are tight. You can also check your antenna coax connection on the back of your tv as well.

TV could be bad too... could be a number of things, but we can knock out the easy ones to check.

The workers who build these things are not always as committed to doing things right the first time as they are for automobiles... The more campers they can build in a day, the more they get paid... Lots of shortcuts get taken.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
2020 Surveyor 272FLS

I can hardly pull in radio stations that I get in my truck clearly. I also get zero channels on the TV after scanning. LED light for booster is on, and no changes.

Dealer said the booster could be bad over the phone due to that being a common issue.

Now, I've reached out to FR via facebook, and they're understaffed due to COVID-19 to help within 1.5 days so far.

I cant even find out what make the antenna is. So maybe a climb in my future today. The frustrations with spending money for nothing is adding up. But I'm taking it in stride.

Our 2020 Surveyor has some strange new antenna system. The name escapes me at the moment. It works but not as well as the older Furrion models.

I will look it up when I get a chance.

Our antenna is a roundish black box with 2 very short antennas sticking out the top. At night you can see a small red led light that is lit. It is almost on top of TV lcation.

In this picture it is above the door.

Be back with info if no one else chimes in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_135951.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	225746  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #4

This is the manufacturer web site for our antenna. On a 2020 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS. Yours is probably equipped very similar

https://qavaftermarket.com/

The unit that is on our trailer is not specified on the web site.

Good Luck.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
This is the manufacturer web site for our antenna. On a 2020 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS. Yours is probably equipped very similar

https://qavaftermarket.com/

The unit that is on our trailer is not specified on the web site.

Good Luck.

The antenna didn't have anything at all on it for brand name. taking out the amplifier would've been a pain, and I don't think it would list it on the either.

The red dot light on back of antenna goes out when you turn the amplifier off. The TV is Connex brand, their website also doesn't list the model TV as a product they make.

#2 Poster, I didn't check the inner wall plate connections, but tv one was wrench tight.

I also hooked up another antenna, got nothing on it either.

My next step is to take it to higher ground. The Remote is still cursed too.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
Site Team

You may have done all this but just in case, double check. Easy to miss a step.
1. Turn on power booster, button In and LED on.
2. Set television to air/antenna. (Not Cable)
3. Scan

If no good, check free app to locate antenna direction from where you are, turn antenna that direction and scan again
Are you out of range of any broadcast towers?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Our 2020 Surveyor has some strange new antenna system. The name escapes me at the moment. It works but not as well as the older Furrion models.

I will look it up when I get a chance.

Our antenna is a roundish black box with 2 very short antennas sticking out the top. At night you can see a small red led light that is lit. It is almost on top of TV lcation.

In this picture it is above the door.

Be back with info if no one else chimes in.
I have the same antenna on my 2019 243RBS, here's what I found out

Presently on Amazon..............

Omnidirectional Amplified RV TV Antenna - Continu.us HD Ready 360° Digital Reception 40 Mile Range | HD Ready Powerful Television Antenna. Compact + Waterproof with Anti UV Coating. Providing Free TV.
Roll over image to zoom in
Omnidirectional Amplified RV TV Antenna - Continu.us HD Ready 360° Digital Reception 40 Mile Range | HD Ready Powerful Television Antenna. Compact + Waterproof with Anti UV Coating. Providing Free TV.
by continuus

✔ LONG RANGE ANTENNA – This amplified, high-performance antenna can pick up signal from 40 miles away. This Antenna is already custom built into several hundred-thousand RVs on the road right now, a great replacement to any damaged antenna.
✔ OMNI-DIRECTIONAL – No need to point and aim the antenna towards the strongest signal, it will pick up a strong signal from all sides. Very convenient! No need to crank up and point your antenna towards the nearest town - this antenna receives signal from every direction.
✔ 2 TV OUTPUTS + AM/FM RADIO – This Antenna and wall-plate has 2 TV outputs and is powered to boost signal to each TV. Featuring both UHF (Ultra High Frequency) and VHF (Very High Frequency) to provide the best HD signal based on your location and distance from TV broadcast Antennas.
✔ WEATHERPROOF DESIGN – This antenna is designed to withstand the elements. Use this antenna in any location from -25°F - 145°F.
✔ LOW PROFILE – A great feature of this antenna is its low profile, sitting just 7 inches tall, it gives little resistance and holds its place firmly, preventing damage. It is also UV resistant, meaning it will not fade or discolor over time.
davem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem50 View Post
I have the same antenna on my 2019 243RBS, here's what I found out

Presently on Amazon..............

Roll over image to zoom in
by continuus

✔ LONG RANGE ANTENNA – This amplified, high-performance antenna can pick up signal from 40 miles away. This Antenna is already custom built into several hundred-thousand RVs on the road right now, a great replacement to any damaged antenna.
✔ OMNI-DIRECTIONAL – No need to point and aim the antenna towards the strongest signal, it will pick up a strong signal from all sides. Very convenient! No need to crank up and point your antenna towards the nearest town - this antenna receives signal from every direction.
✔ 2 TV OUTPUTS + AM/FM RADIO – This Antenna and wall-plate has 2 TV outputs and is powered to boost signal to each TV. Featuring both UHF (Ultra High Frequency) and VHF (Very High Frequency) to provide the best HD signal based on your location and distance from TV broadcast Antennas.
✔ WEATHERPROOF DESIGN – This antenna is designed to withstand the elements. Use this antenna in any location from -25°F - 145°F.
✔ LOW PROFILE – A great feature of this antenna is its low profile, sitting just 7 inches tall, it gives little resistance and holds its place firmly, preventing damage. It is also UV resistant, meaning it will not fade or discolor over time.

Here's what I found out on the antenna, FR gets them from a supplier called Patrick/Quest Audio Group. Who in turn they tell me they get them from a company called Continus. They say it's an RCA antenna for RV's; model #CA1000B, an omni-directional. In my opinion they don't seem to work as good as the Bat Wing antennas of other brands. My dealer also didn't know anything about them.

Hopefully this will help you
Old 03-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #9

Does it look like this, only black in color, if so refer to my previous post on what is is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81tKwdPy79L._SX569_.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	225768
Old 03-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
2020 Surveyor 272FLS

Here's info if you have a Jensen TV, I had a remote go bad after 2 weeks and they sent me a new one , no charge...

Jensen RV Tech Support

Technical Support
Need assistance? Our Technical Support Team is here to help. To inquire about products and services found on our site, contact us by phone or e-mail, and we'll gladly assist you just as soon as we are able to. Please note that our Technical Support Team is available Monday-Friday, 7:00am - 6:00pm Eastern Time.

Need Customer Service? Click here to contact our Customer Service Team who is available
Monday-Friday, 7:00am - 6:00pm Eastern Time.

Contact us via Email
Please complete the fields below as specifically as possible. This will help to ensure the fastest and most accurate response possible.
Contact us via Phone
Call 877-305-0445 for immediate Customer Service Support and 877-845-8750 for technical assistance.
Contact us via Mail
ASA Electronics
2602 Marina Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514
Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
You may have done all this but just in case, double check. Easy to miss a step.
1. Turn on power booster, button In and LED on.
2. Set television to air/antenna. (Not Cable)
3. Scan

If no good, check free app to locate antenna direction from where you are, turn antenna that direction and scan again
Are you out of range of any broadcast towers?
Ofcourse I did these. Maybe out of range for TV, but certainly not radio.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem50 View Post

Here's what I found out on the antenna, FR gets them from a supplier called Patrick/Quest Audio Group. Who in turn they tell me they get them from a company called Continus. They say it's an RCA antenna for RV's; model #CA1000B, an omni-directional. In my opinion they don't seem to work as good as the Bat Wing antennas of other brands. My dealer also didn't know anything about them.

Hopefully this will help you
that's it alright. I will contact Connex about a new remote. Where the trailer is now is in a valley. At moms house we took down tv tower years ago, and a new tv with no antenna soaked in many local channels there. trailer is across the street in a field.

perhaps this is all unnecessary cause ill be camping somewhere else and maybe it wont be a problem there. I plan to haul it up the hill for a clean shot at the sears tower, well out of 40 mile range, but that's where it comes from. worth a test.

Furthermore, Maybe i wont use OTA for tv at all. I plan to test my computer to streaming Xfinity if my phone can work as a hot spot. But I would miss out on the local tv while on vacation.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #13

Mean Gene,

If you have radio reception problems, you might want to pull the radio head unit, and verify that the FM antenna is unfolded and properly installed.

On our Avenger we had reception problems with the radio, took it back to the dealer, and they said "well it works, it picks up the radio station down the road..."

I decided to just fix it myself, so I pulled the radio head, and found the FM antenna neatly folded up into it's storage/shipping configuration... the monkeys at the factory didn't even bother to unfold it, just plugged it in and left it wadded up in a ball.

Just something to check....

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Mean Gene,

If you have radio reception problems, you might want to pull the radio head unit, and verify that the FM antenna is unfolded and properly installed.

On our Avenger we had reception problems with the radio, took it back to the dealer, and they said "well it works, it picks up the radio station down the road..."

I decided to just fix it myself, so I pulled the radio head, and found the FM antenna neatly folded up into it's storage/shipping configuration... the monkeys at the factory didn't even bother to unfold it, just plugged it in and left it wadded up in a ball.

Just something to check....
Given its the same type as pictured above, I can check it out. But with two antenna ears, I wouldn't think an antenna wire would need to be unfolded.

This is just my life. Most are plug n play, not me, I buy and its Customer Service, YouTube, Forums, Technical Support, More Money, more frustration. Must just be me.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #15

Manufacturer assured me it's not an antenna that needs to be unrolled in the base, however he said it could be the twist on coax connectors. Shield could be grounding out. I didn't want to tear into it today as it may rain.

I did however use phone as hot spot for my laptop, and was able to stream my Comcast live, so long as licensing wasn't as issue.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #16

When we purchased our NEW 2019 FR Sabre I did a channel scan and did not find any channels. Did all the checks for booster voltage, checked connections etc. Nothing. The antenna that came on the unit is a Wineguard so I called them for further information. Gave the model # and they said they no longer sell or support this model. I explained that my camper is brand new and they said I should call FR. They also said that the reason they discontinued that model was because they had so many complaints and they said the range was only good for 15 miles!
I submitted all the information to FR in February and I'm still waiting for my replacement. I can not believe they were sending out RVs with not only an obsolete antenna, but one that only would pick up stations within 15 miles of a station. I also can't believe it's taking 2 months to get a replacement.
RichM303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM303 View Post
When we purchased our NEW 2019 FR Sabre I did a channel scan and did not find any channels. Did all the checks for booster voltage, checked connections etc. Nothing. The antenna that came on the unit is a Wineguard so I called them for further information. Gave the model # and they said they no longer sell or support this model. I explained that my camper is brand new and they said I should call FR. They also said that the reason they discontinued that model was because they had so many complaints and they said the range was only good for 15 miles!
I submitted all the information to FR in February and I'm still waiting for my replacement. I can not believe they were sending out RVs with not only an obsolete antenna, but one that only would pick up stations within 15 miles of a station. I also can't believe it's taking 2 months to get a replacement.
I can now easily believe all of this. I got a new TV remote, so tv works fine. But as far as the reception and coax connections, warranty had called me. I said I will try it at the campsite before I have them look into it. Being I bought the half year model, mine is different in a few ways from the brochure. Wish I would've known at the time, but maybe it saved me some dough.
Mean Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #18

I finally went camping. Wasn't impressed with the antenna range at all. Only pulled half the channels, and only 2 of them came in clear. Maybe I'll upgrade, but probably won't.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #19

My radio antenna and TV antenna are different. Radio antenna is a wire on the back of the sound bar. TV antenna is a stationary antenna on the roof that doesn't rotate in order to pickup more stations. Since we don't use the TV much at the moment I am not worrying about it. If I do I will upgrade. If you have a better TV antenna check the booster to make sure it is working. Not sure how to get to the back of the sound bar to improve the radio antenna.
Good Luck

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna