Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

Any feedback on a 2015 Surveyor 220RBS

Hi everyone. My wife and I are considering a gently used 2015 Surveyor 220rbs. We’ve never owned a trailer before so any input on this particular model would be appreciated. You might say I don’t know what I don’t know.

Many thanks!

Steve
steviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi steviet,

I see that you found the Surveyor forum. Since I'm on the computer this time I was going to post the link for you but no need to now.

This time of the evening is pretty quiet but hopefully members will be able to offer some feedback. You are welcome to check out other threads to get a feel on how owners feels.

Good luck!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet View Post
Hi everyone. My wife and I are considering a gently used 2015 Surveyor 220rbs. We’ve never owned a trailer before so any input on this particular model would be appreciated. You might say I don’t know what I don’t know.

Many thanks!

Steve
Not specific to that model but Surveyor, in general, seems to be a bit better quality than other makes out there. The 2015 model year was still a little before the RV industry boom where quality and production didn't compete as much as they do now. If all systems work in the trailer and it's in good shape, it should continue serving you well for many years.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #4

Thank you very much for your input clarkbre. That is helpful. Still kicking it around.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet View Post
Thank you very much for your input clarkbre. That is helpful. Still kicking it around.
Do you have a link to share what trailer you're looking at?

Looking at the floorplan, it looks good for 2 people. The slide out dinnette will provide a lot more living space when the weather isn't cooperating.

A couple things to consider on any trailer you look to buy:

1. How is bathroom and kitchen access with the slide in? We looked at lots of 24' bunkhouse trailers and it seemed you needed to be an American Ninja Warrior to get to the bathroom with the slides in. A low dinnette seat or an exterior bathroom door can make pit stops on the road much easier.

2. How do you plan on using the trailer? Dry camping or always hooked up? Are the batteries sufficient for that. One 12v battery, two 12v batteries or even more power with two 6v batteries.

3. Can your tow vehicle handle the trailer? There's lots of learning on this but it's worth looking into. Realistically, the vehicle's tow capacity is the least important number.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Thank you sir that was very helpful. You bring up some really good points I had not considered as a rookie.

Below is the link to one that I am considering in Coos Bay, Oregon.

https://www.portersrv.com/default.as...=xAllInventory
Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

Looks good. However, the price seems high. Here's the same trailer, 2017 brand new close out for $17 more. If that's the case, I would go for a brand new one.

2017 220RBS

Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Wow. That looks like the way to go. Brand new for less than $20k. Looks like a road trip to Seattle. Works. Our kids live there. Thanks my friend. I’m very grateful for your help and advice.

Steve
Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

hidee ho

Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! Several of us have 220's here on the forum. We bought ours new in 2013 and have had very few problems with it other than what I have caused. Granted, you can't get to the bathroom without opening the slide a foot and a half or so but that has since become a non issue for us. We just open it up if we have to. The lounge dinette is very comfortable and we ditched the factory heavy knee busting table for a plastic adjustable table and that works very well. The trailer tows very straight and true with a good WD hitich and I did put Carlise radial HD load range D tires on it for safety. We tow light so I doubt if ours weighs much over 5000lbs loaded. Since we don't haul much I took the rack off the back bumper and moved the spare tire from underneath to the back bumper and took the spare tire mounting hardware off. We put dual 12v batteries on it and I got 2 Viking composite LP tanks which saved a lot of weight. We don't usually haul water using bottle water instead. But the main thing is this is such a well constructed couples trailer. Good luck with your decision and have fun!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

Thank you very much for that excellent information. Much appreciated. You’ve given me some great ideas about things I need to know. Still searching. There are a lot of trailers to consider.

My best to you.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #11

I have Palomino Solaire 201SS which is the sister unit to the RV that you are looking at. The Surveyor line is a little bit of an upgrade as far as hardware and interior looks is concerned. The trailer is 1/2 ton towable and mine tows just fine. For two people the trailer is a great unit and has been fairly dependable. It's a great choice your first trailer.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #12

We have been very happy with our 220. Great trailer for two people. Lots of storage and full sized walk around queen bed. Have over 20K miles on it with very few problems. Added 200 watts of solar and two 6 volt batteries. Turned the bathroom door into a "Dutch door" so we could access the bathroom with slide closed.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcat View Post
.... Turned the bathroom door into a "Dutch door" so we could access the bathroom with slide closed.
Many compliments to that innovation!

That would be an absolute huge selling point if a manufacturer actually did that. The bathroom access was one of my biggest concerns while shopping. The lack of access turned us away from many trailers.

Well done.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

oldcat, what a great solution! Wow, I even got my wife to buy off on it! Yea! I have another project to do! Seriously, great idea. I put a folding accordian style door on our 220 when we first got it and that did not work to our satisfaction. Well, in all honesty, I liked it but the wife sure didn't. I have had prostrate surgery and sometimes need to get to the facilities in a real hurry while traveling and your idea is brilliant.

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor