Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Back-up camera

The new Surveyor we will be receiving has the Backup camera prep. My understanding is that comes with a mounting bracket as well as the wiring to the power source. The dealer recommended a Furion unit to us. I am wondering if you have any recommendations as to other brands, the model of Furion , or any other tips as to how easy this will be. I have a 2016 Tundra Platinum if that helps in the assessment of my quandary.

Steve
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

Just make sure you get the observation camera. Furrion distinguishes between backup (only) and observation (full time.)
Old 11-23-2017, 04:48 AM   #3

I bought the Furrion Observation camera, installed it in a matter of minutes, and absolutely love it. It gets power from the marker lights, so make sure they are on (I drive with headlights on even during the day) and you’re good.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Like MarinerJoe - I've got the Furrion observation camera. It was very easy installation and works like a charm. The only time I've ever turned it off during a drive was at night when I was in torrential rain. It was useless then and very distracting. But, that's going to happen with any camera.

We are 41 feet long and it works great for us.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #5

Have The observation camera. I would have liked to be able to use with a video out but they don't have one available that I have found.

I ended up putting a suction cup in the mount and stick it on the rear view mirror so I am just checking the normal places...less sway this way for me.

I tried a cheaper camera and went back to the furrion because it is much more reliable.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

When and what would I use the cmos cameras for?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

Furrion Observation camera is good for knowing when you can pull back into a lane after passing. You can easily tell if you are ahead of the people and if someone is tail-gating. I use my side mirrors to see way back, wide angle of the camera make cars more than 200 feet back almost disappear. Happy with the camera. I use a couple of rubber bands to mount the monitor on my rear-view mirror.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #8

I have a 2018 243RBS and have been going to put on an observation camera as well. What model did you end up getting and how was the installation?
bgoakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
I bought the Furrion Observation camera, installed it in a matter of minutes, and absolutely love it. It gets power from the marker lights, so make sure they are on (I drive with headlights on even during the day) and you’re good.
Same here. Not 100% perfect or 100% clear but still a good camera and easy to install.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

I just installed the Furrion FOS48 observation camera as my new trailer was pre-wired and installation took about 5 minutes or less. Dealer said they would install for $500. I caught it on amazon for $296. I have been watching on amazon but it was over $350. I saw the price drop and rise over $50 in a few hours and guess I just caught it at the right time. I bought one the next day for a work project and paid the $350. I played around with the camera at work testing the range. Furrion claims a 100 foot range but I still had a good signal at close to 100 yards. I have seen posts about loss of picture claiming poor signal quality but I would bet the have a loss of power supply from loose wires on camera. Adjusting the contrast and brightness make a big difference in picture quality. I have not pulled my trailer yet with the camera but the work camera has been very dependable so far.
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #11

I got a great deal on a Garmin Backup Camera to work with my GPS. If it doesn't work I haven't spent a bundle on it. I have know I might have to buy the extension cable. Plus it has mixed reviews. Since trailer is covered I will be another month or two before I get to play with the new camera.
I am wondering if it comes on with lights or only when in reverse. I have read some people, as above, with light and a few only when in reverse. I will use my tester to determine.
Good luck to you.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I got a great deal on a Garmin Backup Camera to work with my GPS. If it doesn't work I haven't spent a bundle on it. I have know I might have to buy the extension cable. Plus it has mixed reviews. Since trailer is covered I will be another month or two before I get to play with the new camera.
I am wondering if it comes on with lights or only when in reverse. I have read some people, as above, with light and a few only when in reverse. I will use my tester to determine.
Good luck to you.
Just a thought if it works when only reverse is on.

My trailer has no reverse lights. If yours does not either you could wire your reverse to the running lights to make it work when the running lights are on via the junction box for the 7-way.

If you have reverse lights then this would not be a good idea.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Just a thought if it works when only reverse is on.

My trailer has no reverse lights. If yours does not either you could wire your reverse to the running lights to make it work when the running lights are on via the junction box for the 7-way.

If you have reverse lights then this would not be a good idea.
This won't overload the lights if both backup and tail lights are on? I will explore it in the spring thanks

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote