Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Batteries

OK, silly question here. Purchased a surveyor and can't figure out how to cut off power to the battery.

Is there a main electrical disconnect somewhere that I can't find. Tried the fuse boxes but the lights, stereo, slide will still function when activated.

Is this going to drain the battery? Is disconnecting the battery the easiest way to preserve its life when its not being used?

Oh, and what is the life on batteries typically?
Hidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidaho View Post
OK, silly question here. Purchased a surveyor and can't figure out how to cut off power to the battery.

Is there a main electrical disconnect somewhere that I can't find. Tried the fuse boxes but the lights, stereo, slide will still function when activated.

Is this going to drain the battery? Is disconnecting the battery the easiest way to preserve its life when its not being used?
The parasitic draws in the trailer will draw down a battery in a few weeks to a few months depending on the battery size.

There is most likely not a disconnect in that trailer unless it was installed afterwards by the owner. Marine battery disconnects are the best way to do it. You can find them at any marine store, some auto stores, some camper stores and amazon.

Search this forum for "battery disconnect" for a lot of information to this very popular mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidaho View Post
Oh, and what is the life on batteries typically?
Depends on the battery, how its used and how well its maintained. Here's some typical numbers for various batteries...

• Starting: 3-12 months
  • Marine: 1-6 years
  • Golf cart: 2-7 years
  • AGM deep cycle: 4-7 years
  • Gelled deep cycle: 2-5 years
  • Deep cycle (L-16 type etc): 4-8 years
  • Rolls-Surrette premium deep cycle: 7-15 years
  • Industrial deep cycle (Crown and Rolls 4KS series): 10-20+ years

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I always disconnect my battery while the trailer is stored. If you have electricity available, a Battery Minder is a nice and inexpensive way to make sure your battery is always properly conditioned and charged. Just google Battery Minder. As a user testimonial, I use one on my motorcycle battery; it is a 2003 with the original battery still going strong. I expect to easily get 5 years out of the Trojan deep cycle battery on my trailer.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

There are inexpensive battery disconnects at Harbor Freight. You can pay up to $75 for a good marine-grade switch type disconnect.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
camping

I plug ours in when home. battery is always charged and the fridge is cold (just in case)

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Team

i don't know of any TTs that come with a battery disconnect switch, unless a previous owner installed one.

just do a search here or any other RV forum, on the subject and you'll get tons of pics and suggestions.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
RV Newbie

I got dial type one at West Marine for about $40. I think you can find ones that connect at the batteries for even less at auto parts stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor
There are inexpensive battery disconnects at Harbor Freight. You can pay up to $75 for a good marine-grade switch type disconnect.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #8

Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I don't feel as lost as I did.

Triguy - Wow. apparently you have done a significant amount of research on the topic previously. Thanks for the information...it is sincerely appreciated.
Hidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome - research is what I do so it kind of carries over. The numbers for the batteries came from the guys over at Northern AZ wind and sun when I was exploring solar options. Great site.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Not such a Junior anymore

I added a Battery Brain Gold (RV model). This has a low voltage cutoff, which means it disconnects your batteries from any draw when the level is below safe levels.

It also has a little switch that is a complete cutoff of the battery to power center. It is mountable right on the battery post, or somewhere along the cable to the first power draw point.

I mounted the cutoff switch inside the trailer so that I can reset it if its tripped, or if I want to completely cutoff power to the trailer for storage.

Tags
battery