Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Question chlorine dioxide pouch for airborn odors?

Anyone ever use chlorine dioxide pouches for odor control? West Marine (among others) sell it fast acting and slow release to kill odors such as damp, musty, smoke stale smell. Any feedback would be appreciated! We have a 2007 sv 263.

Mike & Shannon
Abby our sweet 3 year old Miniature Dachshund Camp Dog
Troy, Michigan
Trailer: 2007 SV-263
Tow Vehicle: 2003 7.3 Ford Excursion Diesel 4x4
mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #2

Try "RV DIGEST-IT" works great!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A scented candle takes care of any lingering odors in our camper. If there is a moisture problem, then the chlorine dioxide might be needed after making sure you don't have any leaks anywhere.

BTW, that is a great looking camper.........looks exactly like our SV 263.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
Try "RV DIGEST-IT" works great!
sorry I thought you were referring to the holding tanks when I posted. Damp-rid maybe? How about the rocks that obsorb odors?
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

Not sure if this product is available in the states or not but at work we use a product called 'Air Sponge' to remove stale smoke doors etc.. It's available in most grocery stores in the cleaning section. Works well but it does take time as in several weeks.
GarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks to all who replied. We will start with damp rid. I think I can buy "air sponge" from ACO... There is an odor that I cannot put my finger on. We also will open all the windows and get some fresh air in there when the weather breaks. If need be then the fast release chlorine dioxide pouch...

Mike & Shannon
Abby our sweet 3 year old Miniature Dachshund Camp Dog
Troy, Michigan
Trailer: 2007 SV-263
Tow Vehicle: 2003 7.3 Ford Excursion Diesel 4x4
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Our musty/stale trailer odor saga continues...We opted for eternabond tape (see earlier post) to use on the roof. The outside was carefully inspected for any moisture entry points. Now that we know the exterior is properly sealed we chose to try the chlorine dioxide "fast acting" packets. We researched it in depth and felt like it would be safe if we followed the directions to the "T" We treated the trailer today and have to say it is bar none the best odor REMOVER available. We opened up all the drawers and closets and ran a small fan. The odors are GONE! It's a very simple process too. There is a faint chorine odor but is supposed to dissapate quickly. There are many companies selling it but we chose West Marine. The only problem was the instructions in the packet, they were kind of vague. There are sites on the web that are more descriptive. The end result was worth the small inconvienience of having to search the web for detailed instructions. We highly recommend anyone with any stubborn odors in their RV to consider it.
We are traveling cross country soon and it's such a relief to know our "home away from home" smells fresh and clean.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the report, Mike & Shannon !!

Any idea where the smell originated ?? Since I have the same model trailer, I am very curious..... inquiring minds want to know.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #9

"Any idea where the smell originated ?? " When we first purchased it it had a small spot on the floor next to the bed up against the wardrobe that was soft. (grrrr) The dealer replaced it. But at some point moisture was getting in, likely causing the lingering odd odor. By recaulking the sides and eternabonding the roof I know the unit is sealed tight now. We tried everything, and it just didn't work. The chlorine dioxide treatment has completely removed the odor. It apparently gets into every nook and cranny. We really like the unit and the layout. We installed one of those fold in-fold out shower curtains and it made a big difference with the elbow room in an otherwise small bathroom. It's nice to know someone else that has the same unit as ours! Any mods you've made?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I had a leak in that area also....water was running down the inside wall of the wardrobe. Recaulking the roof seam did not help. I found the problem when I discovered a small crack in the front marker lite caulk.....problem fixed.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #11

Such a small hole can cause so much problems. Mike did the whole exterior over the weekend. Hopefully everything is airtight. At least until the next once over.