Old 01-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

Considering a Surveyor Trailer

Wife and I are looking to upgrade from a Dutchman Kodiak to a Surveyor Luxury Trailer.

I had a question and was going to contact Forrest River/Surveyor Customer Service. The web site only lists email as a contact method. I always find this a bad omen when dealing with any company. Even Dutchman has an 800 number.

I am going to spend Thousands of Dollars and I cant talk to you????

Thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

OOPSS I see there is a SALES Number and a SERVICE number.

I will try that.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Wife and I are looking to upgrade from a Dutchman Kodiak to a Surveyor Luxury Trailer.

I had a question and was going to contact Forrest River/Surveyor Customer Service. The web site only lists email as a contact method. I always find this a bad omen when dealing with any company. Even Dutchman has an 800 number.

I am going to spend Thousands of Dollars and I cant talk to you????

Thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Bill
"... can't talk to you????" implies you think Forest River/Surveyor are monitoring this forum. I'm confident they are not. See the statement at the bottom of most full site pages:
"Disclaimer:
This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 14; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
"... can't talk to you????" implies you think Forest River/Surveyor are monitoring this forum. I'm confident they are not. See the statement at the bottom of most full site pages:
"Disclaimer:
This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site."

No, I don't think Forrest River monitors this forum. Not sure why my post

implied that?

My comment was simply me being facetious. And looking for comments from the community.

As it turns out I did find 2 numbers for SALES AND SERVICE. Not Customer Service. But I will try them.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #4

So, what's your question?

Are Surveyor's better, worse or the same as any other trailer built? NO

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

Wife and I bought a Surveyor in August 2018 in Wilmington, NC. Took it to Virginia Beach, then up to Maine via central PA, back to VB, then to Florida Keys and around Fl penninsula winter of 2018/19. Back to VB, around Va and NC summer 2019 Left VB Nov 1 went to Florida. Still here. We move around every 2 weeks.

Have not kept track of miles, but enough To identify short term issues. There have been a couple of minor issues (Dometic fridge control board failure, Suburban oven would not stay lit) but, far less than the high end Teton 5th we used to have. I did change tires to GY Endurance due to a flat, and changed out converter from WFCO to Iota to handle batteries I added. A squeak in the floor that amazingly has healed itself. I’m 6’-3”, wife is 5’-10”, and are fine with the bed after we added a 3” memory foam topper.

I do wish FR had used screws for fastening the coroplast belly, instead of powder actuated nails. Check and make sure your coroplast is not hanging down on top of the axles.

But, as the RV tech who is parked next to me said, “any RV buyer better have a toolbox and know how to use what’s in it”.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
So, what's your question?

Are Surveyor's better, worse or the same as any other trailer built? NO
My question was: " why there was no Customer Service number to call?"
Old 01-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
Wife and I bought a Surveyor in August 2018 in Wilmington, NC. Took it to Virginia Beach, then up to Maine via central PA, back to VB, then to Florida Keys and around Fl penninsula winter of 2018/19. Back to VB, around Va and NC summer 2019 Left VB Nov 1 went to Florida. Still here. We move around every 2 weeks.

Have not kept track of miles, but enough To identify short term issues. There have been a couple of minor issues (Dometic fridge control board failure, Suburban oven would not stay lit) but, far less than the high end Teton 5th we used to have. I did change tires to GY Endurance due to a flat, and changed out converter from WFCO to Iota to handle batteries I added. A squeak in the floor that amazingly has healed itself. I’m 6’-3”, wife is 5’-10”, and are fine with the bed after we added a 3” memory foam topper.

I do wish FR had used screws for fastening the coroplast belly, instead of powder actuated nails. Check and make sure your coroplast is not hanging down on top of the axles.

But, as the RV tech who is parked next to me said, “any RV buyer better have a toolbox and know how to use what’s in it”.
Thanks for that info.
Appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #8

Okay, The links to the numbers were not obvious to me. My mistake.

There are phone numbers for:

Surveyor Luxury Contact Information

Sales
Josi Martin
(574) 642-3119
jamartin@forestriverinc.com
Surveyor Luxury Contact Information

Service
Danielle Beber
(574) 642-3119 Opt. 2
dbeber@forestriverinc.com

Old 01-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

My wife and I have been very happy with our 241RBLE surveyor that we bought last April. We have used it for a total of 79 days since April and only had one issue with the shower drain which I corrected myself. Our model is like a couples trailer where we are very comfortable and the couch is just the right size as to keep adult guests for short stays before they get too uncomfortable and leave. Perfect for grand children though. Good luck on choosing as we took our time for several months before we decided on our travel trailer.
rwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #10

I have a 2016 Surveyor 243RBS. Have logged 17 trips out and 84 days sleeping in the unit. It is a mid quality trailer but has fit our needs very well. The dealer in Eugene, Oregon was the worst for service. I ended up taking it to another repair shop for a few basic corrections. For short trips and regular camping I love the trailer. 27ft with outdoor kitchen, separate sleeping area. Have camped in the snow at Yellowstone and went over the great divide four times, and survived coastal storms and wind without any issues. But remember it is not the top of the line, but very serviceable.
Good Luck.
DrBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the informative replies.

We have narrowed our choice to a Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS . Looks good for the wife and I. Oh and Stella the rottie.

The trailer has a PVC roof. Supposed to be almost maintenance free.
I climbed the ladder to look at the roof. I was not impressed with the roof. Lots of ripples and ridges and you could easily see where the trusses were. Is this normal for a PVC roof?? Looks worse than our Dutchman Kodiak roof.

Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We have had two Surveyors; a bumper pull and a fifth wheel. Both were great trailers.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
We have had two Surveyors; a bumper pull and a fifth wheel. Both were great trailers.

Outstanding!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #14

We love our 243rbs but we took out the dinette and put in a couch. We should have done theater seats and are looking to upgrade in the coming year. Also we added a fireplace. I wish we has a 2nd AC over the bed. We've had issues but none that the warranty hasn't covered. Its just big enough for us. If we were looking to buy it would be a Surevyor 33KRLOK or the Lacrosse 3399SE or at the same size as the 243RBS, the new Heritage Glen 22RBHL. Love the new bathroom floorplan in the Heritage Glen but I don't like the finishes.
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGACamper View Post
We love our 243rbs but we took out the dinette and put in a couch. We should have done theater seats and are looking to upgrade in the coming year. Also we added a fireplace. I wish we has a 2nd AC over the bed. We've had issues but none that the warranty hasn't covered. Its just big enough for us. If we were looking to buy it would be a Surevyor 33KRLOK or the Lacrosse 3399SE or at the same size as the 243RBS, the new Heritage Glen 22RBHL. Love the new bathroom floorplan in the Heritage Glen but I don't like the finishes.

I hear you.

We have tried different configurations of couches in place of the dinette. But finally decided its time to upgrade. Live and learn. Our first trailer was a mistake. So we upgraded the truck first.

We decided we have to have a bigger bathroom. A couch or chairs and a dinette.

The Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS seems to fit the bill.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Thanks everyone for the informative replies.

We have narrowed our choice to a Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS . Looks good for the wife and I. Oh and Stella the rottie.

The trailer has a PVC roof. Supposed to be almost maintenance free.
I climbed the ladder to look at the roof. I was not impressed with the roof. Lots of ripples and ridges and you could easily see where the trusses were. Is this normal for a PVC roof?? Looks worse than our Dutchman Kodiak roof.

Thanks again.
Ever hear anything on the roof? They really preach how tough the pvc roof is. I dont care about looks up there, only functionality. Im a heavy guy, haven't tested ladder.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #17

I am 175lbs and have been on the roof maybe 7 times to clean and also to look through the telescope with no problems.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #18

Gravity has a much larger affect on me. I passed that up near 5-6th grade. But thanks bud for the info.
Mean Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #19

If you do buy a new one the best thing that I got for it was the bathroom vent cover which allows you to leave the vent open even in the rain. I would include snow but we live in Texas so snow is an occasional occurrence
Old 03-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #20

got a brand name? Style? Link?

Tags
surveyor, trailer