Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 10:19 AM   #1

Extra switches

Hello I have a Surveyor Legend 19rble.
In the bathroom next to the water heater and water pump switches is a seperate switch that is unlabeled. I'm trying to figure out what this is for...
It's not the tank heater switches as those are in the kitchen, and it doesn't turn on the bathroom light.
Does anyone know what these are supposed to control.
I'm thinking it might be a switch to change the water heater from gas to electric but if that's the case do I need to also turn off the water heater switch?
LEGEND OF SURVEYING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #2

Any chance you can post a picture of it?

My initial thought too was that it may be the electric side of the water heater.

Our '17 has only the 2 switches for the pump and propane. On that same panel, there are the buttons for the tank level indicators.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #3

Here is the picture

Hopefully I attached this picture correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220307_093401.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	269734  
LEGEND OF SURVEYING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #4

Go out an look for a label on the water heater. What model is it? If it is Suburban DEL or DELC, then it has the relay for an inside to control the electric element. If it is Suburban D, DE, DEM, or DEC then there is no relay for an inside switch.

Could the extra on/off switch be for a vent fan? Also, you say the switch is not for a light - is that because the light will not turn on with the switch? My bathroom light is the standard puck type with the switch in the middle of the light, but it also has a wall switch. If the center button on the puck light itself is not turned on, then the switch will not turn on the light. (The water heater electric with inside switch works the same way, BTW. The outside switch on the water heater needs to be turned to on, and then the inside switch can be used to turn it on/off.)
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:12 PM   #5

It could be anything but the light switch or water heater are the most educated guesses.

If the switch is "Off" but the light still turns on with the center button, it's not that.

If it's for the water heater, it's worth a test. With the WH full of water, have the switch in the bathroom turned to "Off" and the switch on the WH turned to "On". After 2 hours, if the water is hot, the switch in the bathroom is not for the WH. If the water is still cold, turn the switch in the bathroom to "On" and check again in 2 hours. If the water is hot, then that's your switch.

On a side note, our WH only has the electric control at the WH itself. If plugged in to shore power or at the house, we use electric. To help boost the WH after showering we use the propane in addition to electric.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

A stab in the dark..... Could it be a battery disconnect switch? I noticed that the battery monitor is on that panel.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #7

I suspect it's for the vent fan in the bathroom. If the switch on the fan itself is off, a wall switch won't work. And some models won't work if the vent cover is not open.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch