Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Factory installed fold down bike rack

I just purchased a SVF293 FW and expect delivery in a couple weeks. Does anyone have pictures of how bikes are secured to the rack? An explanation would be appreciated too. I have two bikes that I will want to travel with and would like to see how others use this rack. Thanks!
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Team

pics always help.
are you sure it's factory-installed.

don't remember Surveyors having that option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Yup. It's included in the Diamond Package on 2013 Surveyors and is a standard feature on both TT's and FW's. I'm looking at the brochure as I post this reply and it states "FOLD UP BIKE RACK Standard on Sports, Selects and Fifth Wheel's (N/A cadets). I have a couple of good ideas from posts on other threads so I have a good idea how to secure the bikes. This forum is beneficial and is really a help!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
pics always help.
are you sure it's factory-installed.

don't remember Surveyors having that option.
They extended the frame rails and doubled them up. Then mounted brackets to the top of the rail next to the back wall. The effect is when the rack ( tray) is folded down about 1/3 of the rack is resting on the frame rail and bumper with 2/3 hanging over. From what I've seen, the FW rack is about 6" deeper/larger than the TT rack. Oh by the way, I not sure if all ladders are like this, but if you order the ladder option, the ladder folds up so that the rack and ladder don't hit when the rack is folded up. Sorry no pics yet.
Polaris XP550
Berkshireba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #5

I'm going to the factory Wednesday and will ask more about the use of the bike rack. Goshen is about 2 hours from my home. Yes, I have the ladder too.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

I'm picking up a 2013 Surveyor 220 today with the rack and will report back. I believe I heard it can support 250 pounds, but the spare tire that's attached would probably have to be subtracted from that. I know it also has a "toy lock" which appears to be a steel cable with lock on an enclosed reel on one end of the bumper. Yes, the ladder does fold up when the rack is up. You'd also have to lower the bike rack to access the outdoor shower, I think. I will know more tomorrow.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Congratulations on your new purchase! The SVF293 that I ordered is a FW and the spare tire is mounted inside the baggage compartment in the front of the unit, so I don't have to worry about that. Happy travels in your new camper.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #8

Here's some more info: No photos yet. Once the rack is folded down, there is a metal post that is erected upright. The post is held flat on the rack with a pin until you're ready to position it upright. Then I guess you would use the "toy lock" cable to secure the bikes to the post. They guys at the dealership shop said it's good for 350 pounds, though the brochure says 250. I didn't ask a lot of questions about securing bikes because we'll probably only use the rack for hauling coolers, cookers and other such equipment.

We had the Surveyor 220 on its maiden voyage last weekend, and I'll post a detailed list of my impressions this coming weekend for those who are interested.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply and I hope your new trailer is everything and more that you expected. I pick up my 293RL this coming Monday. Can't wait. Regarding the fold down bike rack; I visited the factory last Wednesday and according to the sales rep, the fold down bar is there to secure your bike. The lock is just there to deter theft of your toys. You need something more stable to prevent your bikes from jumping all over the place while traveling and I don't think the fold down bar is sufficient. To counter that I purchased a bike carrier at Camping World ($31.99 club price) that consists of wheel brackets that bolt to the metal mesh floor. The bike is held in the bike carrier wheel slots and then tie down straps are added to secure it from jumping around. Hopefully this will work and I'll find out next week. Safe travels to you!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Thanks for the reply and I hope your new trailer is everything and more that you expected. I pick up my 293RL this coming Monday. Can't wait. Regarding the fold down bike rack; I visited the factory last Wednesday and according to the sales rep, the fold down bar is there to secure your bike. The lock is just there to deter theft of your toys. You need something more stable to prevent your bikes from jumping all over the place while traveling and I don't think the fold down bar is sufficient. To counter that I purchased a bike carrier at Camping World ($31.99 club price) that consists of wheel brackets that bolt to the metal mesh floor. The bike is held in the bike carrier wheel slots and then tie down straps are added to secure it from jumping around. Hopefully this will work and I'll find out next week. Safe travels to you!

post pics of that deal when you get it mounted !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #11

I'll post them if I can figure out how to do it. Apparently you have to copy a pic to a URL. I have windows 8 and can't figure it out. Can you help?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
That makes sense. I couldn't quite figure how you'd keep bikes from bouncing around on there. You're right that the cable wouldn't do it, but it's a pretty cool device for securing items from theft. Thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #13

There is a square bar in the 3inch tray. You stand the bar up and bungee your bikes to that.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #14

Photos

I use Photobucket.com for posting pictures. I have used them for several years with no problems, junk email, etc... Very easy and convenient.

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote