Old 01-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

Feedback on 247BHDS?

I currently own a Passport 239ml and am thinking about upgrading to the 247BHDS, but on the fence if it's worth the additional cost. From what I've been reading, people seem to be happy with their purchase. Was looking for an updated feedback to see if anything has changed since the posts from early 2019.

Thanks!

IndyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #2

Not sure which posts exactly you're referring to from earlier in the year but we continue to use and love our 247BHDS.

We initially looked at a Passport 240BH and really liked it but the Surveyor won out on a few key features and layout.

1. Counterspace was limited in the passport whereas the Surveyor had the island that with the sink covered, has a ton of room.

2. The outdoor kitchen in the passport was all partical board cabinets and wouldn't last in the Seattle wet weather. I watched one on the dealers lot basically crumble. The Surveyor had an all metal slide that was sturdy and would not fall apart. To this day, I am still very happy with it.

3. The Surveyor's exterior bathroom door is second to none when travelling with the family. Direct bathroom access is awesome at any rest area. The Passport would have had us scrambling over the dinette or moving the slide out to access the toilet.

4. The bed was a true queen size bed instead of the shortened version.

5. Features that put the Surveyor ahead of the Passport:
  • Roof ladder
  • Wrapped edge counter tops
  • Bigger tanks (70 gal grey)
  • Arctic package (tank heaters)
  • Undermount stainless sink
  • Outdoor kitchen had BBQ vs 2 burner and actual plumbed sink vs tub to pour out

Overall, we've spent 81 nights in it away from the house and countless nights having "driveway campouts" and using it as a guest house. We bought it in June '17 as a family of 4 and added a 3rd kiddo Dec. '18. 2019, we spent 34 nights in it with 5 of us and there was no thought of needing to upgrade or a bigger trailer or a different layout.

Initially not wanting to spend as much as we did, I am thankful that we bought a little more trailer than I thought we needed...not in size but in creature comforts. We've been very happy with the 247BHDS and will likely have it until the kids outgrow camping with us.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately this floorplan is only available in the West and I'm out in Indiana, so I'll have to do some driving to purchase one.

The post I was referring to looks to be one you started back in 2017. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-137435-3.html
Old 01-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #4

Being a Western model does have its advantages. Since we tend to boondocks more out here, a lot of the models have larger tanks also. Do your research and perhaps the advantage would off-set the drive.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Being a Western model does have its advantages. Since we tend to boondocks more out here, a lot of the models have larger tanks also. Do your research and perhaps the advantage would off-set the drive.
I didn't notice the holding tanks. That's interesting. The main driver for the 247BHDS is it's a shorter travel trailer with opposing slides. I feel like when looking for opposing slides other floorplans are always 32+ feet.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #6

We have the 2017 (really 2016 1/2) model and still love it for all of the reasons @clarkbre mentioned. Incidentally we also have a 2018 model of the Passport 239ml. I also love this trailer. We mainly use the Surveyor as we have 3 children and usually a visiting couple, so the extra space is appreciated. We have used the Passport with the family and found it quite tight, but manageable as long as you could spend time outside.

Not sure if it has changed recently, but we live in MN which falls in the MidWest region, and were able to order the Surveyor from a local dealer. Let me know if you want more info, since we own both trailers you mentioned.

Cheers
Scott

(2018 F-150 Lariat SCREW HDPP soon to come )
Scottyb1707 is offline   Reply With Quote