Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Flush King sanitation question

I just purchased a Flush King attachment, and on another thread someone mentioned that some campgrounds install backflow preventers on their faucets to protect their potable water from contamination by flushing devices. I believe my Flush King specs said it includes its own backflow preventer. My question is: is it considered bad form or - much more importantly - unsanitary to hook a Flush King to a potable water faucet?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
rebmeM

I would use a brass backflow preventer from Lowe's/Home Depot, if I were you. You just don't want to be that guy. Also, use a different color hose to flush.

With that in mind, you should be good to go.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
I would use a brass backflow preventer from Lowe's/Home Depot, if I were you. You just don't want to be that guy. Also, use a different color hose to flush.
IWith that in mind, you should be good to go.
Thanks, Kenn. Yes, we would use our gray water hose, and I think that's a great idea about adding the brass backflow valve as a backup to the one on the Flush King. Can't be too careful. I guess I will add it at the faucent end of my hose. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

mjones12, please read the following thread regarding good practices during black tank flush, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tank-9973.html
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
mjones12, please read the following thread regarding good practices during black tank flush, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tank-9973.html
Thanks, Frank. I read that prior to posting my question here. I'm not sure it speaks specifically to the use of a Flush King with a built-in backflow valve and then adding a second brass backflow valve to the gray hose, as Kenn suggests. I saw your post over there about using a splitter to keep from contaminating the white hose or the camper's water system, but that isn't relative to what I'm asking about. No white hose is involved in the setup I'm talking about. Could you tell me if you think what Kenn and I are talking about is okay? Thank you.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #6

mjones12, you are completely correct, in this thread you specifically asked about the need of a backflow preventer and Flush King attachment, to which I can't comment or opine because I don't own a Flush King.

However, I made the suggestion of reading the other thread (yes maybe I shouldn't have started the reply with the use of the word "please") because it includes very good "water hygiene" practices. That's all.

My sincerest apologies to you and Kenn.

Frank
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
rebmeM

No apologies necessary to me. You were offering assistance.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #8

No, no apologies are necessary. I just didn't find the specific answer I was looking for in the other thread. Perhaps I should have asked my specific question in that other thread.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
rebmeM

Before you go and flush your system in the campground, show/explain to the host/owner what you're about to do. If they said, that's fine, then you should be good to go.

For a peace of mind, get the brass backflow preventer and see how it works before you use it. With another preventer on the flush king as well, you should have a redundancy. Do this at home first (without the nasty): make a mock drain and see how the system works for yourself. Backing up what you read with experience will give you the best piece of mind.

Hope that answers your question.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Before you go and flush your system in the campground, show/explain to the host/owner what you're about to do. If they said, that's fine, then you should be good to go.

For a peace of mind, get the brass backflow preventer and see how it works before you use it. With another preventer on the flush king as well, you should have a redundancy. Do this at home first (without the nasty): make a mock drain and see how the system works for yourself. Backing up what you read with experience will give you the best piece of mind.

Hope that answers your question.
Kenn: That's an excellent idea. I will certainly ask ahead of time and also give the system a test run. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

This is not meant as a judgment but I would be unhappy to learn that anyone has hooked black or gray tank to the potable water; regardless of whether there was a backflow preventer.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
rebmeM

Just remember: your house faucet and the toilet runs from the same pipes and there are no backflow preventer.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Well, that is certainly a true statement on the face of it, but remember your fresh water flows into the holding tank on the back of the hopper and not the bowl itself. Gravity and the venturi effect prevents the bowl water from climbing back up the flush water dropping into the sewer.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Where should we go next!

You will not have any problem with your Flush King back flowing in to the potable water line. I have one and can tell you that it has a valve on it. Open the valve and the water enters the Flush King. When you are done you close the valve, or else you leave the water on. Just follow the directions that came with it and you will be fine. I also use a brass double spigot.One for fresh water, and the other goes to the gray water hose that goes to the Flush King. By the way, the Flush King is a fantastic product. You will be very happy with it.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Just so you are aware, that an on/off valve is not a backflow preventer.
An ounce of prevention... Just sayin'
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
This is not meant as a judgment but I would be unhappy to learn that anyone has hooked black or gray tank to the potable water; regardless of whether there was a backflow preventer.
That is why I am so anal about sterilizing the potable water faucet before I hook up, especially at a site that has a sewer drop. I just know there are people out there that insist on flushing their tanks on the site.

IMHO, the black tank flushes should only be hooked up at non-potable water faucets at dump stations.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Chap, I am SO in your camp on this. Clorox wipes and spray bleach solution are kept in the compartment right next to the dump manifold.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
rebmeM

When we were kids, didn't we drink out of lead hoses? Didn't we go swimming in lakes, rivers, and the ocean where fish poop? Haven't you been to a third world country where you had to procure your own water or better yet old school camping? Haven't you been in combat and there was no water/clean wipes, but you had to eat anyway? Did you starve to death because you felt dirty? Haven't you hunted an animal where you had blood and guts in your had and didn't get a chance to wash until later and ate lunch afterwards?

There are far worst thing that having the idea of contaminating potable water. The people in MI were drinking twice the Arsenic levels from their homes, and did a back flow preventer help this? Nope!

Someone should sue the Flush King company for the idea that it could contaminate potable water. That way, the product should be taken out of the market and people would use a different flush method. An idea is not a fact and if you read their claim, it says sanitary and has a back flow preventer. Why would they market it this way if it was not true? They should be sued because they contaminated every RV park out there.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When we were kids, didn't we drink out of lead hoses? Didn't we go swimming in lakes, rivers, and the ocean where fish poop? Haven't you been to a third world country where you had to procure your own water or better yet old school camping? Haven't you been in combat and there was no water/clean wipes, but you had to eat anyway? Did you starve to death because you felt dirty? Haven't you hunted an animal where you had blood and guts in your had and didn't get a chance to wash until later and ate lunch afterwards?
True, I did a lot of things when I was a kid. But I was sick to the tummy a lot more then, and didn't know why. And my young body took care of those illnesses better than this old version can. Now that I know what caused some of that, I avoid doing it.

Disclaimer: I still lick the cookie dough bowl.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

One good case of E. Coli would change your mind; I am sure.