Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #41

I don't even keep track of my checkbook balance.
Last time I checked it was in 1978. The bank has only been wrong once... that I know of.

Trailer miles? LOL!
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
My F250 "knows" when the trailer is hooked up and keeps the accumulated mileage.

Over 2000 nights since 2011. We winter in Texas. No idea before that since I started RV'ing in 1961. 47 states many times and 7 Provinces. This year we hung it up and sure going to miss it. 83 years old and it's time. Enjoy!!!!
Old 07-19-2021, 10:11 PM   #43

Few years back after spending 30 minutes and opening just about every compartment and storage bin looking for a small roll of paracord I realized there must be a better way. So, I wrote a database to keep an inventory record for all those items. Now, when I enter “paracord” into the iPad search it immediately tells me to look in bin #4 located in pax side compartment 3. Saves a lot of time.

Since that database was already written it was easy to add a maintenance record function. It’s much easier to document, ie, the date and mileage of an oil change and also have a copy of the receipt stored in the record. Try getting warranty coverage from Ford if you don’t have those records, and I’m certainly not going to try to keep up with all the paper records.

The DB is also used to keep up with future reserved camping trips and past trips, including miles put on the toad since it doesn’t record that while being towed. Pictures and notes about the campground/campsite also kept there. I’ve added some stuff that friends who were given copies wanted to track, including fuel records. I don’t bother with fuel records or mileage because those are numbers I don’t want to know about.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
I keep seeing folks saying I've got xxxx miles on my TT and that got me thinking: is there a mileage counter somewhere on the TT I don't know about? Or are people just capturing rough mileage from their trips?
Every time I plug in my F150 it gives the milege towed for each trailer that I plug in.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
How do you get to the Logged towing miles on your F150? I know my 2019 F150 knows when my Vibe is connected, but not sure where to find the mileage log?
Thanks.
-Russ
It's right on the info screen where you select which trailer you are towing. It pops up every time you start the engine if a trailer is connected.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #46
Site Team

If I thought I didn't have time to write down my hitch-up odometer reading and my unhitch odometer reading, I'd think I didn't have time to go camping, glamping, to the lake, to the beach or whatever the pedantic ones decide to call it.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #47

Ok, all you guys with Fords, answer this. I also have an 18 F350 but once the trailer is disconnected, it still counts toward tow miles. Does not revert back to non towing screen. Is this supposed to be an automatic change to the odometer.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Ok, all you guys with Fords, answer this. I also have an 18 F350 but once the trailer is disconnected, it still counts toward tow miles. Does not revert back to non towing screen. Is this supposed to be an automatic change to the odometer.
'19 F150 here

At first I had to manually select "no trailer" to stop the counter. Now a year later and the truck does it on it's own. Have no idea why.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #49

Trailer mileage..

I would not care either, except that when I sold my last ROO, the prospective buyers seemed to always ask how many miles it had been towed. It was probably best that I didn't give out my best guess after all the camping years! Repacking my wheel bearings every Spring made it inconsequential to me anyway.

My newer Ram with the tow package keeps track for me. My old Ram had an add-on brake controller, so the previous truck computer never had an idea what was hitched up, or when, or for how long.

BTW..Going from that older Hemi 5-speed and 3.21 highway gears to the 8 speed and 3.92 gearing made a world of difference in mountain towing without seeming to lose any mpg. Amazing technology! My 1967 Dart GT slant six three speed stick never got the highway mileage I am getting now!!
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #50

My '17 Expedition seems to count trailer miles accurately and only when the trailer is connected. I can't access the trailer miles unless the trailer is attached, can't even get to any of the trailer screens. Have no clue how mine handles this but seems to.

-- Chuck
Old 07-20-2021, 06:50 PM   #51

Trailer mile readings

Chuck..

I wondered about that too..I may try putting a resistor sub box across the brake circuit to ground via the truck plug, dial it down step by step from a gazillion megohms to start, and see if the truck gives up any info or recognizes a ghost trailer at some point.

What's the worst that can happen while my Ram warranty is still in effect???
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #52
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
'19 F150 here

At first I had to manually select "no trailer" to stop the counter. Now a year later and the truck does it on it's own. Have no idea why.
X2. I have to select no trailer when I start it for the first time after towing.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #53

Quote:
I keep seeing folks saying I've got xxxx miles on my TT and that got me thinking: is there a mileage counter somewhere on the TT I don't know about? Or are people just capturing rough mileage from their trips?
Estimating mostly. My RAM keeps a running total of the tow mileage based on the electric brake being connected like most others have stated. There's really nothing on the camper, you need to have an exact mileage for IMO. Most of the stuff is yearly maintenance.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #54

Quote:
I like Draggo's idea below. We set the trip meter on the truck just for grins. Would be good to know how many miles on the trailer for breaks and bearing purposes. Guessing now that we are retired has become more challenging since every day is Friday. Hubby retired 1/1/21 and I just retired 6/29/21. Looking forward to lots of miles on our 5er.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #55

Ditto to what others have said, I keep a log on a spreadsheet on my computer. I record the starting location, either my house or my father's house where I store my trailer when not is use, my destination, the total mileage there and back, and a little note about the trip.

I originally started the log to keep a record of mileage on the tires and for the purposes of resale, I can show everywhere the trailer has been, but sometimes I find myself looking back over the notes to remind me of the trips I've taken in the trailer.
Clarkdubya2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mileage