Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Is this my 12V wire?

Hello. First post here. We just started camping again after a 10 year lay-off . Coming from a pop-up and we went to the Hershey show in Sept and ordered a 251RKS surveyor. Picked it up 2 weeks ago, went camping that same day and love it. My question: The kitchen does have a hood vent but during the weekend when DW was cooking the smoke alarm went off several times. There is a ceiling fan there in the kitchen but no fan in it. I want to upgrade that. Took the frame off that vent and there are 2 wires there. Each one a double wire: white/orange. It appears to be coming from the ceiling light about 2 ft away? I THINK I attached a picture of each. Are these my 12V wires and if so them being double is confusing me as I am not an electric guy. How would these get hooked up to an upgraded roof vent?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	218355   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	218356  
jhudson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

They may just be a loop of the same wire or it could be a second wire just passing thru to another light or fan.
Also be sure the that the cook top vent is unlatched on the outside wall.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes, those look like the typical 12v wires in a R/V.

You are probably correct that they probably go to a light although 'some' models have an extra wire there just for the fan IF it is ordered with one.

You can use those wires to power a fan IF they are hot all the time and not just with a switch, otherwise the fan would only come on when you turn on the switch. Not a big problem if the light has its own switch.

"Typically" the colored wire (or striped) is the 12v+ and the white is 12v-.
Testing it with a meter is best.

Also... some stove/range vent fans do not exhaust outside. They simply recirculate the air through a filter.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

All the 12V wire in my Surveyor has two conductors, like a lamp cord. The white is the ground. The colored is the positive 12V conductor.

Disconnect from shore power, then, Go to the power center and remove the front cover. Assuming a WFCO like mine, there are two screws that are retained in the cover after unscrewing. The top of the cover face pulls away and then lift gently. One of the fuses will have an orange wire. Look at the label to see which circuit and the fuse rating. Probably 15 amp, So plenty to run a fan.

My Surveyor has a lot of daisy chained devices on one circuit, like lights.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Also be sure the that the cook top vent is unlatched on the outside wall.
I'm guessing it's this. Or his wife is a horrible cook and burns everything, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

I checked the vent on the hood and it was stuck shut but I opened it and still got the buzzer. She was using one of the cooktop eyes and the oven. Seems to go off when she opened the oven. Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at what I have.
jhudson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Was kidding about your "DW" burning dinner. I also have this issue, it is such a confined space. Recommend cracking windows AND turning on one of your vent vans. I have a so-called fantastic fan in the bathroom. On high, it vents the place pretty well and is all of 5 feet from the stove/oven
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 AM   #8

Hello I too have a 251rks. When cooking it is recommended to open the roof vent or the window behind the stove. You should have a fan in the stove hood. Mine has a light and a fan. Make sure the outside fan vent flap opens.
I also recommend roof vent covers so you can have open in the rain. I have 2 Maxair covers and Fantastic vent cover for the bathroom (the fan there is a Fantastic Maxair covers don't work well with them).
If you haven't seen my other posts check the wiring under the slide. If it doesn't go above the slide mechanism it will rub on the tire. Others have had this issue too.
Good luck

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #9

First time you use stove and furnace, they are going to burn off oil from the manufacturing process and can easily set off your alarm.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Was kidding about your "DW" burning dinner. I also have this issue, it is such a confined space. Recommend cracking windows AND turning on one of your vent vans. I have a so-called fantastic fan in the bathroom. On high, it vents the place pretty well and is all of 5 feet from the stove/oven
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Microwave above the stove venting back into the rig has a useless fan system - never saw that before and hope to never again. We keep a towel over our shoulder plus open windows and have the bathroom fan running (best part of the solution) so we can fan towels towards the smoke detector when it goes off to clear the air. Dog hates the smoke detector.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #11

We had the same issue and I tried replacing the factory smoke detector with a new First Alert unit (yes, it's a residential unit). Now it only goes off when there really is smoke in the trailer (it's a fine line between browned and charred!)
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote